"No family life" with UPS

Dumbo

So many threads talk about having no family life with this job. "You'll never see your kids", etc.

How is UPS so unique compared to a ton of other professions when it comes to this? I have several cop friends and they all work a ton of OT, overnights, holidays, etc.

How about doctors? Nurses? Plow drivers during snow season? Business professionals always on the road (my dad was gone every week in a new city)? Accountants? Fire fighters? Even retail workers working open to close 6-7 days a week.

My last job everybody has been on 12 hour rotations for months.

I can literally name 10 or more common professions off the top of my head where this is the case.

Why is this such a recurring thing when I read this forum. Cops work holidays, overnights, and 60 hours or more a week. At least at UPS there are not overnights or holidays as a driver.

I have 3 kids and pretty much any profession I have worked or thought of getting into it's the same. 9-5 is more of an exception it seems.

The way I see it is this: If I can allow my wife to continue to stay home and raise our kids, and provide great insurance and eventually great pay, and knowing many professions work these hours for much less, same management problems, yet in some professions the price of failing is much higher, including peoples lives,then its worth it to me. In addition I get to stay in shape as I get older.

Knee and back problems from sitting 10-12 hours a day in a chair or 10-12 hours of knee and back problems from moving and being active. I think the former is worse for you

Last edited:

Turdferguson

Just a turd
So many threads talk about having no family life with this job. "You'll never see your kids", etc.

How is UPS so unique compared to a ton of other professions when it comes to this? I have several cop friends and they all work a ton of OT, overnights, holidays, etc.

How about doctors? Nurses? Plow drivers during snow season? Business professionals always on the road (my dad was gone every week in a new city)? Accountants? Fire fighters? Even retail workers working open to close 6-7 days a week.

My last job everybody has been on 12 hour rotations for months.

I can literally name 10 or more common professions off the top of my head where this is the case.

Why is this such a recurring thing when I read this forum. Cops work holidays, overnights, and 60 hours or more a week. At least at UPS there are not overnights or holidays as a driver.

I have 3 kids and pretty much any profession I have worked or thought of getting into it's the same. 9-5 is more of an exception it seems.

So you've worked here two months and think everyone are a bunch of whiners?

Dumbo

So you've worked here two months and think everyone are a bunch of whiners?

Not saying anybody is whining. What I'm trying to do is understand the difference. These hours are more common than not, but I guess in most professions it's more accepted.

"Everyone is a bunch of whiners" is a broad brush I am not intending to use. Just saying that as I've been reading and hearing about UPS , I hear and read this more than I usually do.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Not saying anybody is whining. What I'm trying to do is understand the difference. These hours are more common than not, but I guess in most professions it's more accepted.
Because most of the guys complaining about it worked here when it didn't used to be this way. Anyone with 10+ years here can tell you, it wasn't always like this.

Faceplanted

My good friend is a fire fighter. While his shifts are rediculious, he is off sooo damn much in between shifts.

Cops too, they might work 12 hour shifts but have many days off to get rest. Same as nurses.

We work from 9-8, some from 9-9. 5 days straight, sometimes 6. You don't seem to understand how shift workers actually work. It's a lot less than your assuming.

Dumbo

My good friend is a fire fighter. While his shifts are rediculious, he is off sooo damn much in between shifts.

Cops too, they might work 12 hour shifts but have many days off to get rest. Same as nurses.

We work from 9-8, some from 9-9. 5 days straight, sometimes 6. You don't seem to understand how shift workers actually work. It's a lot less than your assuming.

Firefighters do usually work 24 hour rotations with a lot of sitting around, but cops are different. One of my buddies is a detective and was a beat cop and ever since I've known him it's been non stop OT, absolutely no family time. They have major problems from carrying gear and sitting for 10-12 hours a day in a cramped squad.

Dumbo

It's more than just long hours. It's a very physical job that wears you out and you really don't feel like doing anything else during the week

Ill give you that, and I admit I have no experience yet in this field. Just comparing professions and hours/work. But contractors I could also compare. My brother works 14 or more hours a day doing back breaking labor. He's in his late 40s now and it's all he's ever done since a teenager. Never saw his kids, never had enough money to make ends meet.

Ill give you that, and I admit I have no experience yet in this field. But contractors I could also compare. My brother works 14 or more hours a day doing back breaking labor. He's in his late 40s now and it's all he's ever done since a teenager. Never saw his kids, never had enough money to make ends meet.
I've been doing this for a long time. Seen far too many guys end their career prematurely due to a serious and permanent injury

Faceplanted

Firefighters do usually work 24 hour rotations with a lot of sitting around, but cops are different. One of my buddies is a detective and was a beat cop and ever since I've known him it's been non stop OT, absolutely no family time. They have major problems from carrying gear and sitting for 10-12 hours a day in a cramped squad.
Most police officers only work 4 days. 4x10 or 4x12. Most nurses 3x12 or 4x12 depending on the week or scheduling.

We work 5 days. Some 5x12

Dumbo

Can't agree with that. I've never known a police officer to work 40 hours per week. They either pick up OT or it's forced on them... Special events, football games, executive protection, investigations, paperwork, covering vacations, etc.

Faceplanted

Ill give you that, and I admit I have no experience yet in this field. Just comparing professions and hours/work. But contractors I could also compare. My brother works 14 or more hours a day doing back breaking labor. He's in his late 40s now and it's all he's ever done since a teenager. Never saw his kids, never had enough money to make ends meet.
Contractors are business owners. Nobody is forcing them to take all the jobs they do or work all the hours they do.

tourists24

"Everyone is a bunch of whiners" is a broad brush I am not intending to use. Just saying that as I've been reading and hearing about UPS , I hear and read this more than I usually do.
Maybe there isn't a huge difference. Maybe this is just a forum full of UPSers to talk about it from their perspective?

Dumbo

Maybe there isn't a huge difference. Maybe this is just a forum full of UPSers to talk about it from their perspective?

Honestly, that's a fine point. I'll bet you could go on forums for most professions that are long hours and see the same posts verbatim. Hours, management, back problems from sitting too much, or walking too much. I'm coming from a job that was 24 hours a day, 365 per year where holidays were forced work, so to me having holidays guaranteed off is already a plus when it comes to family time. But ask me in a few years and maybe I'll have a different perspective!