No Headphones or cell phones allowed?

Michael Morris

In my facility no electronics are allowed in the building. This includes headphones,mp3 players, radios, and cellphones ect. Cellphones are allowed if you are considered Fulltime Managment, Union Stewards, or over the road drivers.

Not having music sucks bad. All we have to listen to is screeching belts and motors, supervisors yelling, and the voices in our head.

Is this the same elsewhere?

Nimnim

The Nim
Yep, some people in my hub sneak things in, but I just use earplugs and replay old nes music in my head when I'm not talking to people. Tetris works great, but I have a large inventory.

rudy5150

They are trying to make it a place where nobody wants to work.....Its like that in our building too. Everyone in our building is miserable including management. New hires dont last long

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
does your facility have a 24 hour phone operator and a P.A. system? they tried this crap years ago before cell phones when people still had beepers. workin the preload with a pregnant wife at home and absolutely no one in the center office to answer the phone put an end to all that. now in some buildings in my local a security sticker is required on your cell because of high theft rate. other buildings not so much.

Michael Morris

There is no 24 hour phone operator for family to call nor is there a P.A. system. We used to be able to have cell phones if you were Full time employee like a 22.3 and have a security sticker. Headphones were also allowed. Now it's no electronics all together.

Nimnim

The Nim
does your facility have a 24 hour phone operator and a P.A. system? they tried this crap years ago before cell phones when people still had beepers. workin the preload with a pregnant wife at home and absolutely no one in the center office to answer the phone put an end to all that. now in some buildings in my local a security sticker is required on your cell because of high theft rate. other buildings not so much.

For people with valid reasons, sick relative you may have to care for or pregnant spouse, it's very possible to at least get a temporary pass to bring your phone in for any situations that arise. Sometimes management can be pains about it but if pushed they'll fold and allow it. For just the random employee that wants to bring in a phone or entertainment device approval is almost nonexistent unless you curry their favor, so most people who want such things just sneak them in. Contracted minimum wage security that is rotated regularly don't care enough.

Nimnim

The Nim
Also for the record it's called the "clean in clean out" policy. If you have any security you go through to enter/exit work they should have a sign posted about it.

Michael Morris

For people with valid reasons, sick relative you may have to care for or pregnant spouse, it's very possible to at least get a temporary pass to bring your phone in for any situations that arise. Sometimes management can be pains about it but if pushed they'll fold and allow it. For just the random employee that wants to bring in a phone or entertainment device approval is almost nonexistent unless you curry their favor, so most people who want such things just sneak them in. Contracted minimum wage security that is rotated regularly don't care enough.

Temporary passes are not given in my facility. Zero tolerance policy.

They are trying to make it a place where nobody wants to work.....Its like that in our building too. Everyone in our building is miserable including management. New hires dont last long

Its usually one of two things. Too much theft or too much playing with toys instead of working.

Nimnim

The Nim

Ah, I've gotten them a few times myself when I've left my phone in my pocket and not set off the alarms. After discovering it at work I'd bother my FTers til one gave me a single use pass so I wouldn't get bothered leaving.

I've known a couple people who have had standing family medical issues and they got passes, some still got bothered about it, but they still were able to bring them in.

If you did have a family medical issue and signed up for intermittent FMLA I don't think they'd put up much of a fight for fear of potential lawsuit if something happened while you were denied a line of communication and thus unable to handle the emergency in a timely manner.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

This is something that I would consider grieving, especially after talking to your shop steward or business agent. While I have a cell phone sticker because I'm a shop steward, I'd be damned if I was going to rely on some ****heel supervisor to relay a message if I had a sick parent, kids, or a pregnant wife in case of an emergency.

We have a "clean in/clean out policy" at my hub and they "banned" headphones for 5+ years. Recently, when management was informed that OSHA doesn't really have a problem with headphones, they eased off a little bit and unofficially allow "one in, one out" except for irreg train drivers in the building. The policy surrounding headphones is really more of a loss prevention issue than a safety issue. That being said, I've been to package centers nearby in neighboring cities that have absolutely no (visible) security and employees bring boomboxes in and out all the time.

Speaking of which.. there was actually a grievance case that was taken to the National Health & Safety panel 4 or 5 years ago that upheld the right of employees to have personal radios/boomboxes in the hub. The handful of people with personal radios either stash them in a locker or hide them between sorts.

A

anonymous6

i was reprimande once for hooking up to a trailer with 2 loaders in it. i came into the building looked at them( they looked back )&nbsp;and said i was hooking up and then hooked up. they were both wearing headphones and filed a complaint that i did not tell them i was hooking up.<br><br>now i won't hook up at all until the door is closed. they don't like it but that's too bad.

upsman68

We are an extended center. I can drive my personal vehicle right up in front of my package car. I take my radio and my cooler out my truck and put in my package car and then park my truck

jaker

trolling
We are an extended center. I can drive my personal vehicle right up in front of my package car. I take my radio and my cooler out my truck and put in my package car and then park my truck
Sucks for you guys , I can do everthing upsman does to

In my center. This one manager tried flexing his muscles and made us take are battery powered radios out of are trucks. That didn't last long. Management can fight us some much better if they opened the union book.

RealPerson

As a Single parent with NO family, I would not follow this rule. I also must add on my shift there is No one to man the phones. Heck you can barely even call in, you have to keep calling for over 30 minutes to an hour before the shift to even get someone to answer. During the shift, Nope. Glad this has not hit our center again yet. I say again, because they tried it, said the bluetooth messed up the scanners..

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The inside employees (full and part time) in the hub my center is located in are allowed to have cell phones but can only use them on break and music is allowed whenever. There are a couple of boom boxes in different areas and people use ipods but are supposed to keep one ear bud off in case of emergency. In my truck I have a radio as allowed by the contract but I see other drivers wearing an ear bud in one ear while driving & at morning PCMs and no one says anything.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
In the Meadowlands working as a clerk they banned us from using i-pods saying it was a safety issue. Place is so noisy you can't even hear yourself think! My clerk station was 10 feet away from the Hazardous material space. Management never did do anything about that no matter how much I complained for the 2+ years I worked there. Safety my ass!

S

serenity now

so many of you people have never known life without a cell phone

it's a wonder any of us old farts ever made it to our senior years without being able to call our mama instantly or text LOL to some other fool

you can work for 3 1/2 hours without a phone