No Inspection sticker on package car...would you go on road?

SupermanofTX

The package car for the route ive been running broke down. Problem is, is what it has been replaced with. So for the past three days I have been in a package car that has had NO INSPECTION STICKER on it at all. Informed center manager, on car sups., and even wrote it up on DVIR for mechanic the very first day. the mechanics response was to just keep it in the line up and have me take the risk of getting a ticket for no inspection sticker or worse have something go wrong with this hoopty. the kicker, is the reason I believe it doesn't have a sticker is because it has SO many problems it WOULDNT pass inspection if they tried. once, I can understand(short of trucks etc..) 2nd day wtf, third day Ive had it. Union seems to be useless in demanding management correct the problem. Management doesn't do anything about this, mechanics don't red tag it. Should I keep going out in a death trap of a truck with no inspection sticker on it(against the law in texas) or draw the line and refuse to drive it out of the building??? UPS = Safety First my ass... would love to know what you all would do... Thx!

rod

Retired 22 years
I once pulled over and had a cop friend write me a fix-it-ticked for headlights out of adjustment. I had tried on several occasions to get the mechanic to get them aimed right but apparently light aiming wasn't his specialty. If its truly a death trap don't drive it.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I red-tagged many a vehicle in my 38 years at UPS. I never feared getting into trouble for refusing to break the law. Neither should you. Ask the supervisor in charge to sign something instructing you to break the law.

Future

Victory Ride
The package car for the route ive been running broke down. Problem is, is what it has been replaced with. So for the past three days I have been in a package car that has had NO INSPECTION STICKER on it at all. Informed center manager, on car sups., and even wrote it up on DVIR for mechanic the very first day. the mechanics response was to just keep it in the line up and have me take the risk of getting a ticket for no inspection sticker or worse have something go wrong with this hoopty. the kicker, is the reason I believe it doesn't have a sticker is because it has SO many problems it WOULDNT pass inspection if they tried. once, I can understand(short of trucks etc..) 2nd day wtf, third day Ive had it. Union seems to be useless in demanding management correct the problem. Management doesn't do anything about this, mechanics don't red tag it. Should I keep going out in a death trap of a truck with no inspection sticker on it(against the law in texas) or draw the line and refuse to drive it out of the building??? UPS = Safety First my ass... would love to know what you all would do... Thx!
You have to refuse to drive it! The danger you are putting yourself and the public is Great! Call the 1-800 line and report to corporate!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yes, refuse to drive it. I would red tag it and if told to take it out, have your sup put in in writing. If not, don't take it out.

Know a feeder driver who had a broken landing gear on his trailer. He refused to pull it. His sup put it in writing that it was OK to drive. He pulled it because it really wasn't a safety issue.

He pulled into the weigh scale 50 miles from his building and asked the scale master if it was OK to have this trailer on the road.

Scale master red tagged the trailer on the spot and issued a pretty big fine to UPS.

They had to bring out another trailer and transfer all the packages. Once it was empty, scale master allowed a tow truck to take it back to UPS.

Sup was demoted to a sort manager.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I wrote up no inspection sticker on vehicle on DVIR about a month ago, and was told by mechanic and verified by center manager that an inspection sticker was no longer required

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You have to know how to write things up. Always include wording such as: "in case of accident", or, "may be illegal". Chances are, the the truck will be good to go if he/she signs off after seeing that.

Fragile

Sometimes the inspection stickers are different for heavier equipment just like they are in NY.

Make sure you know what you're talking about before you make a big deal out of it lol.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If a sticker is truly required it should not be on the road until inspected. It's not a parking ticket. ..it goes on your driving record. it may not be a moving violation but they can't force you to break the law.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Define Inspection Sticker. Are you talking about the FAI sticker? If it doesn't have one, it either means got lost or was removed and the vehicle failed to pass the PMI. It can't be put back in service until the shaded area issues have been corrected.

Johney

Know a feeder driver who had a broken landing gear on his trailer. He refused to pull it. His sup put it in writing that it was OK to drive. He pulled it because it really wasn't a safety issue.

He pulled into the weigh scale 50 miles from his building and asked the scale master if it was OK to have this trailer on the road.

Scale master red tagged the trailer on the spot and issued a pretty big fine to UPS.

They had to bring out another trailer and transfer all the packages. Once it was empty, scale master allowed a tow truck to take it back to UPS.

I call BS.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You have to know how to write things up. Always include wording such as: "in case of accident", or, "may be illegal". Chances are, the the truck will be good to go if he/she signs off after seeing that
If it is something that you have written up before, but your write up was ignored, I would write "2nd write up. or 3rd write up" whatever the case would be. I always documented stuff like that in case it broke on me while on the road. It brings it to the attention of the automotive manager. I was told by a mech once to not write that on a DVIR. I told him to fix it the first time and I wouldn't.

Inthegame

Yes, refuse to drive it. I would red tag it and if told to take it out, have your sup put in in writing. If not, don't take it out.

So how is an on road feeder sup getting demoted to a sort manager job?
Unless that landing gear was not affixed properly to the frame, I'm missing anything illegal about moving that trailer on a highway.
Unless there's a whole lot more to this story, this sounds like lunchroom lore.

MassWineGuy

Ask for another, legal vehicle. It's not just that you can get a ticket (even if UPS pays it). You get a black mark on your driving record. Tell them you don't have any certainty that the vehicle is safe and roadworthy because it hasn't yet been inspected. I agree with another poster to write the situation in a brief note and have your sup sign it. I can't see how you can get in trouble by refusing to drive a truck that's not legal and may be unsafe. UPS may not care about you, but you need to care about you.

trickpony1

If it is something that you have written up before, but your write up was ignored, I would write "2nd write up. or 3rd write up"

I would also take pictures of these sequential write ups with your cell phone for documentation because, if something happens, you'd be surprised how quick that DVIR book will disappear.

clean hairy

I wrote up no inspection sticker on vehicle on DVIR about a month ago, and was told by mechanic and verified by center manager that an inspection sticker was no longer required
Partially true.
Starting March 1st an inspection will no longer be required, though the Inspector has to issue a Certificate of Inspection to renew registration.
Dunno if it will be required to be with a commercial vehicle. but will keep mine with proof of insurance just in case.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
if you drive that vehicle , get in an accident, hurt or kill someone , you could be criminally liable. UPS would fire you and you would go to prison. happens every day to commercial drivers.

oldupsman

I call BS.

Why? Sort of the same thing happened to me in a package car. My car was in for repairs and they gave me a car with no
inspection sticker. This was in Pa. I told them I wouldn't take out the car. I was ordered to by my center manager. Did them, well really myself,
a favor and did the first half of the day. But the car was really a piece of junk and I decided, screw it.

I always saw one of my township cops every day. I knew them all, plus a couple of county detectives. I waved one down in the small local shopping
center and told him the situation. No problem, just call your boss and tell him I ordered you to park the car and I never want
to see it in my township again. Just what I did. Mechanic came out with a legal package car and towed the old one in. Never saw the car again.
The center manager resigned from UPS soon afterwards. My incident was just one of a long list the guy had aganist him.

So what don't you believe? That there are guys out there that actually stick up for themselves?

Oldupsman proverb. UPS only abuses those people who allow themselves to be abused.