No one answers the phone when I'm calling in sick

2pitbulls

I've been trying to call in sick to work but no one answers the phone in the pre load office Wtf! They better not fire me for not calling in.

HBGPreloader

I've learned to call either the night before, when I know there's someone working or exactly 1 hour before my start time, which is allegedly the latest I can call in.
If I don't get an answer on my third try before I start, I turn off the phone and worry about it the next day.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I think if you called with your cellphone/smartphone, you can show the next day that you called many times exactly when you were suppose to. That could get you out of most call-out issues.

I would suggest asking your sup for backup numbers and his cell number in case you run into unanswered calls again.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
get your sups cell number..

used to be a good excuse though...." no one answered the phone"
Better yet find out your sups managers cell and call him(ask around. I'm shure a driver knows someone who knows it). If he dosent answer around 3 am I'm guessing make shure to try back several times and leave a message that said sup would not answer phone

Marne Vet

There was a time when our Sups were programmed to reply with a particular tactic to try and guilt you in to coming in. Here's an example:

Me: "Hey, not making it in. I'm sick."

Sup: "I don't have anyone to cover you. Need ya. I'll see if I can lighten you up"

Me: "No, not coming in. I'm sick"

Sup: "Well what's wrong with you? You'll be screwing your Union brothers if you don't come in. Come in and I'll see what I can do" *click*

These Sups would literally hangup on you at that point. I got so pissed one time I called this particular Sup back and said "Not coming in got it?!", and hung up on him. He had the balls to call me in the office the next day and try and threaten me with insubordination! I told my Steward right in front of him "When I call you to tell you I'm sick, that's it. I'm not a doctor, so don't ask me what's wrong. I'm sick, and NOT coming in. Don't tell me you'll see me and hang up because you won't. That's why I hung up on you!". Nothing ever came of it. Just a stupid scare tactic that I didn't fall for. These guys must think we're stupid or something. He never pulled that crap with me again, and now when I call I just say "It's [Me]. Sick. Not coming in. Bye" *click* Deal with it. Go run my trip if you're short. You won't see me coming in because I feel bad for my Union brothers. We all get screwed enough daily not to even notice. Now-a-days that tactic isn't used as much, if not ever. All it created was a disdain for our Management team. Now we have a Center with good Sups, and a really good center manager. We're actually very fortunate right now. Some of the same old tricks still come out, but not as often. Maybe because I'm old, and have been there long enough that they've just stopped trying to use them on me. Whatever. Text the dispatcher, call a Sup, and leave a message if necessary. Also call the OMS and let them know as a third witness. No problems.

FilingBluesFL

Sup: "Well what's wrong with you? You'll be screwing your Union brothers if you don't come in. Come in and I'll see what I can do" *click*

If they pull this, I have no problem coming in at all.

Difference is, I'll go straight in to their office, and puke on the floor. I guarantee you won't be begged to come in next time you call in sick.

Just slip your porter a $20...

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
If you leave a message with a different sup make sure you get that sup's name. I once called of and left a message with a preload sup and "forgot" to notify my center team.

Future

Victory Ride
Years ago, had a driver ask for a friday off b4 his vacation. He asked well in advance. The WED b4 they told him they couldnt give him off. He called in sick the FRI morn he had already planned off. They went to his home and videotaped him loading up his vehicle to go camping.......Went through hell after that! True story

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You'll be fine, don't worry. Man oh man, I've been double shifting for about two weeks now, working everyday on the preload. I don't understand why you preloaders hate coming to work.