No pay for the snow day

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
I was told yesterday when i came in that we can not use a sick or personal day for Tuesdays snow closure. everyone is to be coded 26 scheduled day off no pay. that has to be the most ridiculous payroll decision i have yet seen in my 27+ years. some pissing match about contract language between the company and union. this is in NY local 804. i skimmed through both the international and my local supplement and could not find anything pertaining to emergency closures and payroll decisions. i for one am not looking forward to a short paycheck next week when i have days left! what are they doing for you guys in other areas?

LongIslandNewbie

We were just told the same thing in Long Island. I dont understand it? I was told not to come in due to a state of emergency, how am i penalized for it? I was willing to work.

govols019

You smell that?
They shut us down for 2 days a couple of years ago due to weather...we were given the option of going without pay or using option days.

raceanoncr

OK, excuse me for pissing in your corn flakes here, but I've seen this hundreds of times before.

So they DON'T call off work for that day. You come in and have the worst day of your career. You get on here and bitch that they should have called off. You'd have taken it off without pay, if so.

Another...You want all the time you can. The company LOADS you with all the time you want. You then bitch that you got too much time.

Another....You are denied an option day for some reason. You think proceed to call in sick...with no pay.

Sorry, I'm like "Farmer's Insurance".
"We know a thing or two because we’ve seen a thing or two".

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
if there is no work available (emergency conditions), how can you be guaranteed anything?

if a comet hit the 43rd street building, would you show up and grieve for your 8?

JVU1VMW.jpg

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
piss or no piss, im more of a bran flake kinda guy at this stage and id like to make the decision on whether i get paid 4 days or 5 in any particular week for any particular reason. i wasnt coming in regardless, but i save a few days for snow every year. its a $200 paycut for next week that i was not planning or expecting for a ridiculous reason.

J

jibbs

This is my first snow season here, I don't make what you old timers make. Loosing a days pay hurts my pocket.

You lost out on $200 by missing a single day? Well then, think of it like this:

1 day's pay for a driver = 1 week's pay for a preloader

So while you're inconvenienced, there's about 50 guys who work inside your building that make less in a week than you lost in a day. You're still winning, man, and by comparison your pockets should still have some fluff to 'em.

If a single day screws you up so badly, I suggest brushing up on the term "fiscal responsibility" and the ideology of living beneath your means so that this type of situation isn't such a hindrance in the future.

You lost out on $200 by missing a single day? Well then, think of it like this:

1 day's pay for a driver = 1 week's pay for a preloader

So while you're inconvenienced, there's about 50 guys who work inside your building that make less in a week than you lost in a day. You're still winning, man, and by comparison your pockets should still have some fluff to 'em.

If a single day screws you up so badly, I suggest brushing up on the term "fiscal responsibility" and the ideology of living beneath your means so that this type of situation isn't such a hindrance in the future.
Go driving then.

J

jibbs

Go driving then.

What inspired you to respond with this? Do you seem to think I'm unhappy? I'm bitching? Quite the opposite, I'm trying to counter the bitching.

Sounds to me like you're tired of hearing about the pay discrepancy between PTers and FTers and you automatically assumed I was bitching because you make more money than I do.

Pause.

Rewind.

Read again, and this time make no assumptions. I'm happy with my situation and am trying to have the OP see his own from another perspective.

What inspired you to respond with this? Do you seem to think I'm unhappy? I'm bitching? Quite the opposite, I'm trying to counter the bitching.

Sounds to me like you're tired of hearing about the pay discrepancy between PTers and FTers and you automatically assumed I was bitching because you make more money than I do.

Pause.

Rewind.

Read again, and this time make no assumptions.
You don't know the man's situation. Yes I'm sure it wouldn't kill him to have an unpaid day. Maybe he has kids in college or is saving for vacation or a house, where every penny counts.

J

jibbs

No, I don't know the man's situation. What I do know is that if a man misses a single day's pay and still can't cover the next several weeks without earning another dollar, he might want to learn how to better hold on to his money.

And this is coming from someone who makes a fraction of what most of the drivers on here make... If I could get fired today and still have enough money banked to amount to roughly 18 paydays, yet a driver misses a single day and complains about hurting pockets....

No sympathy.

No, I don't know the man's situation. What I do know is that if a man misses a single day's pay and still can't cover the next several weeks without earning another dollar, he might want to learn how to better hold on to his money.

And this is coming from someone who makes a fraction of what most of the drivers on here make... If I could get fired today and still have enough money banked to amount to roughly 18 paydays, yet a driver misses a single day and complains about hurting pockets....

No sympathy.
He is still entitled to get a paid day

J

jibbs

He is still entitled to get a paid day

I'll agree with ya on that one.

The contract might not, though, what with the whole "Act of God" language involved somewhere in there.

i knew it was a mistake to mention dollar amounts as soon as i posted. sorry about that

Nah, don't worry about it. It's no secret drivers get paid more. It's also BS that they took the decision out of your hands... like I said earlier, I was just trying to provide a different perspective from a person who's been put in the same (well, similar) situation before.

The tone just started to change when words were misinterpreted, I'm not mad at'cha or anything, brutha.