No payout for unused sick pay or vacation upon retirement

Streetglider

I retired from UPS in Merced, CA after 33 years, on July 27, 2012. I recieved 9 sick days July 1, 2012. I used one day in July. Our union contract states that we will be paid for any unused sick pay.... NOT SO! UPS says there is nothing left to pay out. Went to the union and they told me they are working on this, apparently UPS started not paying out on sick and vacation days for anyone who is retiring as of January 1, 2012. The union is of course fighting the fight. We shall see what happens. Just be aware, if you are retiring USE everyday you have coming to you and don't fool yourselves, this will not stop with the retirees! :angry:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
All of the guys I know who retire take all of their vacations and optional holidays before they leave. Their retirement starts the day after their vacation is up.

OldManAllowance

I agree with Dracula....you work your last day..take all personal & sick days..followed by the vacation weeks..then officially retire.
Congratulations on making it through...it's a new life!

Streetglider

In California, UPS is NOT paying for the sick time that you have left on the books when you retire. I just lost 7 days! Call in SICK, don't assume they will pay you for it!

tardus

I retired on Jan. 31, 2012. I received my first pension check, Feb. 1, 2012, and on top of that I received a check for all of my vacations and personals. That was a tidy sum that I've put into savings in case I need it. In my case, it made more sense to retire before using up my vacation days; that way I got the pension check as well as the vacation check.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I retired on Jan. 31, 2012. I received my first pension check, Feb. 1, 2012, and on top of that I received a check for all of my vacations and personals. That was a tidy sum that I've put into savings in case I need it. In my case, it made more sense to retire before using up my vacation days; that way I got the pension check as well as the vacation check.

This is my plan as well. I have been told that I can't do it and that I have to take all of my personal/sick/vacation prior to retiring. I want to work up to my 30 and then get paid for my 8 weeks combined personal time.

tardus

I found that it was impossible to get a straight answer from anyone at the personnel office regarding the payment of the vacations, so I just took the advice of a friend of mine who is a Feeder Driver. I was told that you earn your vacations the previous year, but that you have to work one day into the new year to be eligible for them. Since you want to retire on the 31st of the month to get paid the first pension check the next day on the first day of the following month, that put me at Jan. 31 to retire and get all the vacations and personal holidays. (I couldn't get a straight answer about the sick days, so I used them the last week of January.) But that way I got a check for six weeks of vacation and one week of personals plus the pension check all the first week of February.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I do know that there is no way that I could retire on the 31st and receive a pension check the next day---there is usually at least a full month between the two, especially if I don't give the pension fund office advance notice of my intent to retire.

stealth8

I am going through the pension process now. My wife and I went down tothe Union Hall and filled out the required papers. They asked me the date I have chosen to leave and I told them Nov.28. They told me that my first pension check will be issued for Dec. 1. Guys that left last year always got their 6 week vacations paid in a lump sum check around a month later. If you want your sick and optional days you are required to work 1 day into the following year. I was also told that I can exchange my 6 week vacation check for extending my current health insurance,and once that is depleted I go into the retirement medical plan.

oldupsman

I am going through the pension process now. My wife and I went down tothe Union Hall and filled out the required papers. They asked me the date I have chosen to leave and I told them Nov.28. They told me that my first pension check will be issued for Dec. 1. Guys that left last year always got their 6 week vacations paid in a lump sum check around a month later. If you want your sick and optional days you are required to work 1 day into the following year. I was also told that I can exchange my 6 week vacation check for extending my current health insurance,and once that is depleted I go into the retirement medical plan.
What is the difference between your current health insurance and the retirement medical plan?

stealth8

I will have to pay $920.00 ($460.00 for me $460.00 for the wife)a month out of my pension to keep the current health plan when I retire. Right now I don't pay anything. This $920.00 will have to be paid until I am eligible for Medicare at age 65. At that time that $920.00 will end and that will start showing up on my check. So it will be like getting a raise of $920.00 monthly on my pension check.
The question is: Do I take the lump sum 6 week vacation check and pay the taxes on that? Or do I put the money into paying for another 5-6 months of health ins? I am looking into if taxes are taken out if I put it toward extending my health benefits. If I find out they are not, it would save me paying those additional taxes meaning more bang for the buck!

oldupsman

I will have to pay $920.00 ($460.00 for me $460.00 for the wife)a month out of my pension to keep the current health plan when I retire. Right now I don't pay anything. This $920.00 will have to be paid until I am eligible for Medicare at age 65. At that time that $920.00 will end and that will start showing up on my check. So it will be like getting a raise of $920.00 monthly on my pension check.
The question is: Do I take the lump sum 6 week vacation check and pay the taxes on that? Or do I put the money into paying for another 5-6 months of health ins? I am looking into if taxes are taken out if I put it toward extending my health benefits. If I find out they are not, it would save me paying those additional taxes meaning more bang for the buck!
Bear with me stealth. You say you're paying nothing now. Is that a UPS health care plan or Teamster health and welfare? And when you pay
that 920.00 a month, is that A UPS plan or Teamster health and welfare?