No raise in August? "On Topic"

Kappa12345

I have never used this forum before however I have been on here a lot of times and have seen some really funny post and memes and what not.

Anyways, my question/concern is, aren't you suppose to get a raise every 6 months? Or every February and August?

I'm 17 years old and started working at UPS about 2 weeks after my birthday in December of 2015. My pay rate started out at $10.10 an hour as a freight loader on night sort. Then about late January or early February my pay rate increased to $10.15 an hour. I don't know if that was like a raise or not but I do know everyone else on my belt got the same 5 cent raise.

Then I got my promoted to pick-off about 3 months into the job and I got another raise for pick off so that put my pay rate to $11.00 an hour.

So after all that, I was looking forward to August because apparently from what I've been told by many people, including my father who has been working for UPS for nearly 40 years that I would be getting like the yearly big raise in August and that I was suppose to get it last week on the first week of August.

However, my supervisor told me that I wouldn't be getting a raise because I haven't been with UPS for a full year yet. So tonight I got home and logged on to my UPSers account to view this weeks paycheck to hopefully see a raise but my pay rate is still the same at $11.00.

So to conclude my question, when could I be expecting a raise?

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
You would get a raise on your anniversary date. So expect that raise in December. Once the next contract takes effect that's when you'll start getting raises in August.

As far as pickoff, for my building the raise for pickoff and sort aisle is a dollar. Is it only 85 cents in your building? I would have thought your pay rate should have went from 10.15 to 11.15 after you got the pick off raise.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have never used this forum before however I have been on here a lot of times and have seen some really funny post and memes and what not.

Anyways, my question/concern is, aren't you suppose to get a raise every 6 months? Or every February and August?

I'm 17 years old and started working at UPS about 2 weeks after my birthday in December of 2015. My pay rate started out at $10.10 an hour as a freight loader on night sort. Then about late January or early February my pay rate increased to $10.15 an hour. I don't know if that was like a raise or not but I do know everyone else on my belt got the same 5 cent raise.

Then I got my promoted to pick-off about 3 months into the job and I got another raise for pick off so that put my pay rate to $11.00 an hour.

So after all that, I was looking forward to August because apparently from what I've been told by many people, including my father who has been working for UPS for nearly 40 years that I would be getting like the yearly big raise in August and that I was suppose to get it last week on the first week of August.

However, my supervisor told me that I wouldn't be getting a raise because I haven't been with UPS for a full year yet. So tonight I got home and logged on to my UPSers account to view this weeks paycheck to hopefully see a raise but my pay rate is still the same at $11.00.

Well written with a logical progression.
Those were some excellent questions which did not occur to me until I was maybe 23.
Unfortunately, your sup wasn't lying for a change ... that's in the contract.
Good luck my friend and welcome to Brown Cafe.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Here are how wages are laid out in the contract. Your regional supplement may have other language though
Screenshot_2016-08-11-04-42-28.png

Kappa12345

You would get a raise on your anniversary date. So expect that raise in December. Once the next contract takes effect that's when you'll start getting raises in August.

As far as pickoff, for my building the raise for pickoff and sort aisle is a dollar. Is it only 85 cents in your building? I would have thought your pay rate should have went from 10.15 to 11.15 after you got the pick off raise.

It is suppose to be a full dollar so you are correct. I'll be honest though, the hub I work at in my opinion is so un-organized management wise. I was doing pick off for 2 months without the raise until I finally decided to go up to my hub managers office and tell him to give me the raise. While I was in there though he said he couldn't give me the raise but he could put my current position at sort isle because they start off at $11.00. I may go back to him tomorrow night and tell him to give me the rest of my raise but I don't like to make supervisors and authority mad.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
It is suppose to be a full dollar so you are correct. I'll be honest though, the hub I work at in my opinion is so un-organized management wise. I was doing pick off for 2 months without the raise until I finally decided to go up to my hub managers office and tell him to give me the raise. While I was in there though he said he couldn't give me the raise but he could put my current position at sort isle because they start off at $11.00. I may go back to him tomorrow night and tell him to give me the rest of my raise but I don't like to make supervisors and authority mad.

You need to demand your back pay. Take a shop steward with you and talk to the coordinator. From the moment you got certified for pick off and worked one day at low or high volume you are supposed to get the sort rate from that day on.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

You need to get over that. They will take advantage of you otherwise. You earned that pay with your hard work. Get what you are owed

Kappa12345

You need to demand your back pay. Take a shop steward with you and talk to the coordinator. From the moment you got certified for pick off and worked one day at low or high volume you are supposed to get the sort rate from that day on.

So you are saying that I could get all the money that I should of been getting paid, back? Also what is a shop steward and coordinator? I've heard of union stewards but I don't even know what they look like or who they are. I'm only 17 so everything is confusing to me on who I speak to.

upschuck

So you are saying that I could get all the money that I should of been getting paid, back? Also what is a shop steward and coordinator? I've heard of union stewards but I don't even know what they look like or who they are. I'm only 17 so everything is confusing to me on who I speak to.
A shop steward is a person on your sort, designated by the union/members to fight for the member, when an injustice has been done. Ask some other workers, and they should be able to point you to whom he/she is.