no thanksgiving pay?

Indy135

today they held meetings (im at UPS freight) saying that due to the exact wording of the contract, nobody will be getting holiday pay on thursday and friday of next week when we are off for thanksgiving

i was on the dock during the meeting so alot of us didnt hear it, but we definitely heard the drivers bitchin about it....so i guess we are gonna get a 3 day paycheck......

but everybody said they got the holiday pay ever year before and even when it was overnite they got it

anybody else hear this?

chev

Nightcrawler
today they held meetings (im at UPS freight) saying that due to the exact wording of the contract, nobody will be getting holiday pay on thursday and friday of next week when we are off for thanksgiving

i was on the dock during the meeting so alot of us didnt hear it, but we definitely heard the drivers bitchin about it....so i guess we are gonna get a 3 day paycheck......

but everybody said they got the holiday pay ever year before and even when it was overnite they got it

anybody else hear this?

Sounds like you are getting screwed and there probably isnt much you can do about it.

What does your contract actually say?

This really sucks if they do this. Sorry to hear the company is going to pull this crap. Sounds like some one negotiated some gray areas into that contract.

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I find it hard to believe that UPS isn't paying you for Thanksgiving Day at the least. Thats a given paid holiday off when its during the week, like Christmas, New years Day, and July 4th.

Indy135

I find it hard to believe that UPS isn't paying you for Thanksgiving Day at the least. Thats a given paid holiday off when its during the week, like Christmas, New years Day, and July 4th.

thats exactly what the driver i was talkin to about it said...somethin along the lines of "i cant even believe that ups will do this to us....its not like they are hurting for money, we are an eilite company and getting paid for thanksgiving is standard"

its all about money:dead:

barrycold

thanksgiving is a national holiday. I know everybody that works at UPS gets paid not sure about UPS Freight. Everybody that works for the REAL UPS no need to worry and please do not panic. Please remove this thread. Wrong forum this belongs in the UPS Freight section.

thanksgiving is a national holiday. I know everybody that works at UPS gets paid not sure about UPS Freight. Everybody that works for the REAL UPS no need to worry and please do not panic. Please remove this thread. Wrong forum this belongs in the UPS Freight section.
Wrong...it belongs here for two reasons. 1. the OP is asking if anyone else had heard this. Not being in the small package side he doesn't know what we have been told.
2. This is just another snapshot of the UPS they some of us love to hate.

chev

Nightcrawler
Wrong...it belongs here for two reasons. 1. the OP is asking if anyone else had heard this. Not being in the small package side he doesn't know what we have been told.
2. This is just another snapshot of the UPS they some of us love to hate.
I agree. It will get more views here anyway.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Like it or not, UPSF is a real part of the company now. I for one welcomed our entry into freight and I don't think it is constructive to disparage another division of our company.

Well put. I am glad we have these other divisions in our company. They are all equally important to our company as a whole. Some of them are turning a better profit percentage wise than Parcel is. I wave to these guys on the road and make sure I talk to them in person whenever I am at a dock with them.

oper8tor

thats exactly what the driver i was talkin to about it said...somethin along the lines of "i cant even believe that ups will do this to us....its not like they are hurting for money, we are an eilite company and getting paid for thanksgiving is standard"

its all about money:dead:
last year my feeder group had 28 more drivers on road than they do same week this year. So to say the company is not hurting for money may be an overstatement. If you have money in the bank do you just spend it without thinking or do you put some thought into where your money goes. Although It's great for everyone to be paid for a holiday the mindset of the company just being able to afford anything is nuts. Take a look around and ask yourself what ever happened to the other union freight carriers? There were a hell of alot more around 10-15 years ago than now, looks like companies do have to show some sort of fiscal responsibility.

Indy135

ok i got the official word today, from the top manager or whatever his title is at our plant......

he said, the contract states that the only people that qualify to get holiday pay have to work the day before AND the day after that holiday in order to get the pay.....well thanksgiving is on a thursday...and everybody will be working wednesday, nobody will be working thursday, and the top 5 by seniority will be working friday if they choose.....

they are the only ones as of right now who will get paid for thanksgiving....but these guys are really raisin hell over it and i just dont see them not gettin paid....its crazy but true

over9five

Staff member
Did anyone actually read the contract language (other than the boss)?

What does your BA say?

Seems a little late to complain about it seeing you guys must have ratified it, right?

Indy135

Did anyone actually read the contract language (other than the boss)?

What does your BA say?

Seems a little late to complain about it seeing you guys must have ratified it, right?

im sure the drivers have been looking into it, it dont even concern me cuz they dont give holiday pay to people who been there less then 1 year:sad-very:

ok i got the official word today, from the top manager or whatever his title is at our plant......

he said, the contract states that the only people that qualify to get holiday pay have to work the day before AND the day after that holiday in order to get the pay.....well thanksgiving is on a thursday...and everybody will be working wednesday, nobody will be working thursday, and the top 5 by seniority will be working friday if they choose.....

they are the only ones as of right now who will get paid for thanksgiving....but these guys are really raisin hell over it and i just dont see them not gettin paid....its crazy but true

Indy,the wording at least in our contract and probably your pertains to getting paid for the Holiday which for UPS is Thur and Fri. To prevent people from calling in on Wed or Mon they require you to work both to get the holiday(Thur + Fri) pay. It sounds like someone is misinterpreting the language. If you work Wed and Mon you should get paid for both.

On the subject of including Freight into the UPS family I have found that now that they have recognized the Feeder division as being the superior drivers we all get along fine.

Indy135

no...only thanksgiving day is the holiday....friday is not a holiday, friday is just "the day after thanksgiving"

i dont think most companies give u thursd and friday both off, paid....the problem is the drivers want the hours on friday but wont get any

705red

Browncafe Steward

That should say scheduled day before/after. Ups did want at least here in 705 to change the language to scheduled day before and scheduled day after in order to get paid. As it is now you mus work one or the other.