No Transfers to specific bldg

brump

I was just told this morning that the UPS building in Chelmsford Mass. does not allow transfers off bid even though it is the same local and I can get a route there through the bid. I just bought a house close by and was hoping I could transfer there if a job opened up before the bid in '18. But my center manager told me this morning that I can transfer to any other building in my local except that one. What gives?

Gotout

I'd be asking my BA or HR, not my center manager.

I agree. Transfers are generally not allowed because of what it does to seniority lists. HR and your center manager couldn't care less.

So here's the loophole: education transfer. You have to apply to, be accepted to, enroll in, pay for AND register for classes at a university that is more than 50 miles from your current home center, but less than 50 miles from where you want to go.

You will not lose company seniority, but you will lose all job and FT seniority. You would not have to change job classification. It's a huge pain, but I've seen it done several times. Where there's a will there's a way.

But why listen to me, I GotOut

Cementups

Box Monkey
I agree. Transfers are generally not allowed because of what it does to seniority lists. HR and your center manager couldn't care less.

So here's the loophole: education transfer. You have to apply to, be accepted to, enroll in, pay for AND register for classes at a university that is more than 50 miles from your current home center, but less than 50 miles from where you want to go.

You will not lose company seniority, but you will lose all job and FT seniority. You would not have to change job classification. It's a huge pain, but I've seen it done several times. Where there's a will there's a way.

I don't thin this is the situation he is running into. This sounds like a center manager not wanting to give up a driver. Especially if the OP is a runner. When someone says, "you can go to any other center in your local but the one you want to" throws up a red flag to me. I changed centers in my own building and my old center manager came up with every excuse he could to try and keep me from switching. But in the end, switching was the best thing I ever did. I will never go back to that other center.

Gotout

Quite possibly so. No one like to lose a runner. In-building transfers are a little different in my experience. Route vacancy bids are always building wide (in the Southern), and very common. There is no seniority loss, you are just dovetailed in.

RolloTony Brown Town

You just went through bids a few months ago. Did you not think you'd be buying a house up that way earlier this year? I only say this because if there's ft openings there then you had enough seniority to already be there had you been thinking ahead.

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't see what the big deal is about transfers between buildings in the same local. Hell, I don't see a problem with transferring from a building in one local to a building in another as long as they are both under the same pension plan. At the very least we should all have the option to transfer within our local. Company seniority should count for something in that regard. It wouldn't do anything to the seniority lists other than allowing someone to exercise their seniority.