No Tuesdays on Mondays

LTFedExer

AT ALL!!! Until today, we couldn't take out Tuesday stand-alones. I was informed today we couldn't take out ANY Tuesday packages, even if they were tag-alongs.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Same here. Some customers were shipping E2 and XS packages out on Fridays and got them delivered as tag-alongs on Monday. Solution? FedEx penalizes all customers in holding back Tuesdays on Mondays. This "one size fits all" mentality is pretty stupid.

whenIgetthere

AT ALL!!! Until today, we couldn't take out Tuesday stand-alones. I was informed today we couldn't take out ANY Tuesday packages, even if they were tag-alongs.

We haven't taken ANY Tuesday packages for more than two years. I work T-S, I don't mind as this just means more work for me on Tueday.

Bailey4

Dumb is right. Also dumber, the Fedex Ground trucks get out and are busy delevering before our p1 trucks even leave. Dumbest....when you cant grow business anymore so you start taking freight from yourself to another division. Like 2day and xsaver. Thanks Fred. Can't wait to see the happy ending you have planned for Federal Express drivers. Especially those with seniority part time and full time who helped you get where you are. Oh a buy out? Swell ...Im sure it will last us untill we can retire. This company is so unscrupulous that it is sickening to put in print.

ScubaEx

They just started sending everything down the belt now on Monday's recently. They told us it was to make the routes more productive since they been holding Tuesday's back for 2yrs now so the OSS doesn't absorb any more routes.

LTFedExer

Yep, same here....for over 2 years now.....Old topic move on....
We haven't taken out Tuesday standalones for a long time. I'm talking about Tuesday tagalongs on Monday, which we have ALWAYS taken out. Being a CSA, maybe the term tagalong is confusing you?

whenIgetthere

We haven't taken out Tuesday standalones for a long time. I'm talking about Tuesday tagalongs on Monday, which we have ALWAYS taken out. Being a CSA, maybe the term tagalong is confusing you?

We haven't taken the tag alongs out for two years plus now, as well as the stand alones.

Goldilocks

I'm not a CSA, and we are not allowed tagalongs on Monday either...

DontThrowPackages

We haven't taken ANY Tuesday packages for more than two years. I work T-S, I don't mind as this just means more work for me on Tueday.

Same here. About 2 years no Tuesdays Period. But I'm don't believe its to punish the customer, Tuesdays are light, and management is looking to keep us productive. I don't mind, no splits Tuesdays as a result.

Ricochet1a

Same here. About 2 years no Tuesdays Period. But I'm don't believe its to punish the customer, Tuesdays are light, and management is looking to keep us productive. I don't mind, no splits Tuesdays as a result.

The reason for holding Tuesday freight on Mondays has absolutely NOTHING to do with Tuesday being "light". It is being done to prevent giving customers "service they didn't pay for".

Many customers on Fridays were used to being able to send their shipments 2nd or 3rd Day, and have them delivered on Mondays. MEMH cleared out its volume on Sunday afternoons, and the inbound ramps sorted everything out Sunday evenings. Most ramps broke out volume between Monday and Tuesday commit, but the stuff sorted out on Friday evenings at the ramps had a mixture of Monday and Tuesday commit times (2nd and 3rd day shipped the previous Thursday).

There was a significant amount of volume coming down the belts on Mondays, that was Tuesday (and even Wednesday) commit - which was delivered just to clear it out of the stations and not worry about reloading it into cans to be held for the next day. It was decided that this "free service" was costing Express plenty - costing them lost revenue.

So the decision was made about 2 years ago to halt ANY delivery of volume on Monday - which didn't have a Monday commit. The customers who were used to getting their non-overnight Friday shipments delivered on Monday, had a choice - to upgrade to overnight service (garnering Express extra revenue), or to wait "an extra day" for their shipments to be delivered on Tuesday (as they paid for).

You can judge the results for yourself. I do know that CSAs are getting traces to handle on Monday, for items that are sitting in the station waiting for Tuesday delivery. Whether the customers are willing to pay for a service upgrade, is debatable. However, the elimination of Express Saver service will only serve to REDUCE this volume of shipments that are being held on Mondays (reducing sort times and saving Express money on that side of the equation).

There will still be Tuesday commit freight sitting in the stations after the routes depart - but the amount that comes down the belts should be dramatically reduced. The ramps will be able to do a better job in keeping the Monday and Tuesday freight separated (Friday PM sorts will only have Monday 2nd day to sort after the elimination of 3rd day, Sunday PM sorts should be able to break out Monday and Tuesday freight without too much difficulty). The only remaining issue will be for the small stations, which don't received separated freight on Monday mornings.

It isn't about "we're light on Tuesday", it is all about getting customers to PAY for getting their packages delivered on Monday (if they otherwise were due on Tuesday). Look at the difference between standard overnight and 2nd Day for shipping a package, and you'll find the answer there (Express wants that difference in its pocket).

DontThrowPackages

The reason for holding Tuesday freight on Mondays has absolutely NOTHING to do with Tuesday being "light"......................
I've heard that argument. And I witness a courier address a manager about it and he say, if that were the case, we wouldn't let you guys take out Wednesdays on Tuesday or Thursdays on Wednesday or Fridays on Thursdays. Maybe he was full of it.

Ricochet1a

I've heard that argument. And I witness a courier address a manager about it and he say, if that were the case, we wouldn't let you guys take out Wednesdays on Tuesday or Thursdays on Wednesday or Fridays on Thursdays. Maybe he was full of it.

That is a diversion...

On days other than Mondays, you only have three categories of packages come down the belt that AREN'T due that day (but which are delivered):

1) 3rd Day that was moved out of the hubs by aircraft rather than CTV (these will make it "a day early")

2) 3rd Day docs that were moved with 2nd Day docs (these will make it a day early)

3) 2nd and 3rd day volume that originated within your metro area (served by your ramp) which were never placed on an aircraft and arrived at your station the day after they were shipped (these will make it a day or 2 early, depending if they are 2nd or 3rd day)

There simply isn't enough volume on Tuesday-Friday to worry about these exceptions. Express knows well about the customers within given metro areas, that ship their volume by Express Saver - knowing that it will be delivered the next day - sometimes during the P1 cycle as tag-alongs. The customers aren't stupid, so Express is just trying to get as much extra revenue as they can for shipments that originate on Fridays (and Express Saver on Thursdays that leave the hubs in aircraft). The cost to Express to hold the packages in the above categories just isn't worth it (cost of holding for a day, maybe 2, possibly having it lost or get damaged when trucks are washed - some stations just place these packages under the belts).

When Express Saver disappears, most of this problem will resolve itself. FedEx WANTS its customers to ship their volume by Ground if they don't need it immediately - the margin on Ground product is GREATER than the margin on shipping the same package through Express.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We used to do this a long time ago. Freight would be held and then released on the scheduled delivery day. For example, if I sent something 2 Day Air from Boston to Philly it would get to Philly overnight but would sit for a day. UPS quickly figured out that it was more cost effective to clean out the system on a daily basis. Yeah, the customer received a service level they weren't paying for, but this did not occur often enough to make holding them cost effective.

snackdad

One problem I ran into was when the customer knew the package was in the building and the trace showed a location scan. The customer was always a bit upset that we would hold it until the correct day and often times wanted to come to the station to pick it up a day early. Most of the time they were denied picking it up and it got them even madder at this stupid practice. Move em in move em out. We are not a storage facility we are a delivery service. Artificially manipulating productivity numbers just seem to make everyone happy, unless a courier does it, then it is OLCC time.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We are and have been for years been req'd to take out all Sat. pkgs that arrive on Fri.

If it doesn't make sense and it isn't cost-effective, Fedex does it. If it does make sense and it is cost-effective, they don't do it. What's not to understand? It's ass-backwards, just like always.