No upward Movement!!!

BigBeef42

Has anyone noticed no upward mobility. I've been with UPS for almost 7 years. When I was hired, I was told that a full-time position (driver or other) was available in 6-8 years. Today, I'm told that to be a driver, it will take 10-12 years of employment to join the club. The supes also told us at the beginning of 2012 that they will no-longer be offering any new full-time positions, in perpetuity.

Johney

The door is always open to leave. Just think of all the timed you have wasted. There are a few guys who think like you, they are about to give up. Guys retiring, one with legal problems,guys on comp,guys getting fired,so many people gone but yet none have been replaced. We have guys who are next to go full-time and it just doesn't seem to be happening,many are frustrated and I don't blame them. Think long and hard about your decision. I have yet to see a person leave UPS and not feel bad about it.

BigBeef42

That's enlightening. Thank you. It sounds very truthful.

I just had a second interview with a diff company. I'm in the process of leaving. Just don't know if I'll be able to cut the cord yet. It sucks to leech around waiting for a better opportunity. One day UPS will realize it's burning-out its good employees and keeping the ones that are too slow to care.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You also have to realize how good your insurance is staying with the company and waiting it out !!! Eventually they have to call your name !!!

You can't make it here PT UPS without having a good part time job outside that you can count on. I even know some people who work 40 outside the company and stay for the insurance and the vested pension.

Good luck on your decision !

Johney

We have lost about 5-6 drivers to injuries and none of them have been replaced. Its insane right now.
We are down close to 20 drivers in the last 2 years so we are at rock bottom. Funny thing is we have had two friend/T driver bid sheets up and full of signatures, but again no new drivers WTF?

jaker

trolling
I doubt if there will be any drivers added unless totally necessary until a new contract is in place.
I think its a contract issue to , we are down drivers bad guys going to feeder and so on but those route get filled but they don't replace the utilities driver and to think we have a year more of this crap and what are they going to do about Christmas

If you can hold on the flood gate will open but it will lead into a crappy lake with this next contract

UPSGUY72

No one at UPS is forcing you stay. I'm sure there are plenty of other jobs out there, maybe even one that will make you happy.

BigBeef42

I'm already looking for another job. Found something that looks great with good benefits. Just had a second interview earlier this week.

Thanks for informing me about the contract issue. I forgot its changing. Next year right? What a long wait.

They are actually hiring tons of drivers at my center, even people who have barely worked part time. They also post up ads asking for saturday air drivers needed.

I am a little skeptical though. I see some full time drivers every day on certain trucks. Other trucks have 4 - 5 who rotate. The drivers are constantly complaining about the volume of work they receive. Saying they have 10 hours or more every day. Tell me if this would be possible. They hire multiple new drivers so that they can work each one 1 or 2 days a week at 10 - 12 hours. The long days will not amount to over time because they only work a total of 20 hours?

UPSGUY72

I'm already looking for another job. Found something that looks great with good benefits. Just had a second interview earlier this week.

Thanks for informing me about the contract issue. I forgot its changing. Next year right? What a long wait.

Does the other job have a pension and free health insurance...

rocket man

That's enlightening. Thank you. It sounds very truthful.

I just had a second interview with a diff company. I'm in the process of leaving. Just don't know if I'll be able to cut the cord yet. It sucks to leech around waiting for a better opportunity. One day UPS will realize it's burning-out its good employees and keeping the ones that are too slow to care.
no they wont and they dont care

BigBeef42

Finally moving up to Saturday driver... gotta pass the class first.

9 years and i can finally bid on a Sat air spot. Opportunity!

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I tell a lot of these young boys, one of the best gigs going, if your not sure you want to go fulltime is to just do temp driving and not go fulltime. If the part timer has been with the company for a good amount of time, they are probably making decent money. Granted every center is different as far as when they put temp or seasonal drivers on and the duration is different also. Where im at its June 1st to Dec 31st. They could probably make between 40 k and say 60k between working part time and temp driving for the year. Not a bad gig at all. Great part about that is you only work the seasonal time and still have a life the rest of the time as you work part time. Another thing is you probably not going to be driving when its super cold out and snowing a lot. That's the worst time in my opinion to drive. Depending on where your at with the weather obviously. I probably would do that if I had to do it all again and had the foresight that this job was going to start being this bad nowadays. Great gig, something to think about. You do this you get the best of both worlds. You make decent coin part of the year and the other part of the year, you can have a life. Its a win win.