Nobody knows

Go Brown Or Go Home!

So im new to working at ups but ive done plenty of research and know a few package drivers so I kinda have an idea of what questions to ask and not ask as im still new. The drivers i do know dont work at my hub though. What Im confused about is I have asked my friend/t sup and other guys that have worked at my hub how long its taking to be a full time perm driver. NOBODY has any idea here. My sup told me to call HR and she would put me on the driver bid list.
Shouldnt the bid list be up somewhere in the hub?

Sent using BrownCafe App

In my hub when there is a driver position coming available they will hang a bid sheet for 48hrs. You sign it and then who ever has highest seniority wins the bid. In my hub it's about 10yrs to win a bid but I know in a hub just across town it only takes months to win a bid. It all depends on location. What you could do is find the building seniority list and look at everyone's part-time and full-time start dates and see how long it took everyone

Sent using BrownCafe App

DoctorMario

Yeah ask where they keep the bidlists at. Where I work they have them up front as soon as you walk in the Hub on a table. Sign the bidlist that says "Pt to Ft".

Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

No one can accurately tell you how long it will take to get the chance to go full time driving. Not HR. Not your center manager. No one. Way too many variables are involved.

Some may throw out a number based on past averages and it may be a fair estimate but a lot can happen. If the economy collapses, wait time can triple, for example.

When I was first hired as a part timer, the HR manager said we could expect to drive in about 2 years. I ended up having my life on hold waiting for 5.5 years.

Go Brown Or Go Home!

Thanks for the replies. I was asking the people around me for an answer of at least who I can go and talk to. Nobody wants to be bothered with that. Apparently it seems to be to much trouble. Its ok, ill get it figured out.

Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

Don't let it discourage you. If you really want to drive, then wait it out. It's a matter of whether or not you can get by with another job while you wait. Just be sure it's what you want and that you're cut out for this type of work before making the investment.

Sorry it's hard to get a straight answer on how long it will take. The only time you know how long it will take is the moment you get called about an opening.

shampoohorn

In 2006 I was told 5 years + or -. I'm now approaching 8 years as pt'er and just got a ft bid. So my center manager's math wasn't too far off considering I also delivered with him when he was in a bind for the past few years, his math is almost spot on.
The thing I noticed with new hires is when they inquire about how long to ft package, some vet pt'ers get a little defensive, even protective as if the new hire is going to jump ahead of them or brown nose(pardon the pun) their way into ft driving.
Not sure of the specifics where you are. Just get your name on the driver list. You get to pick 3 centers in the state where you want to drive in order of preference. Also something to consider.

Sent using BrownCafe App

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Just find out who the shop steward or Business Agent, they should know. Also, find the youngest looking drivers and ask them. In my building, Bid Lists are left up for a week, I look on ours at least once a week.

PT Car Washer

Some of the other variables to how long it takes is if the other PTers ahead of you want to go driving or if they have a clean drivers license or if they can drive a manual transmission.

Go Brown Or Go Home!

Ha shampoohorn, you are spot on about pters being protective and defensive. I actually dont mind the work. Its hard but I also was a machine tech in a steel factory for 12 yrs so hard work is good for you. Getting a answer isnt gonna discourage me in the least. Im just gonna take it day by day. I do have a full time job with a somewhat flexible schedule so at least I can wait it out till something comes up. Thanks again!

Sent using BrownCafe App

shampoohorn

We did have a seasonal pre-loader on his 3rd day of unloading stated he had ordered his browns, and would be ft package in 6 months. He no call no showed early December never to return. We still joke around about ordering your browns to this day.

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
images59O8K5PV.jpg