Non dot

starglacier

Has any couriers received letters stating because of the size of our trucks express no longer classfied dot drivers. 90% of drivers at my station got the news today.

Sent using BrownCafe App

vantexan

I've been looking at FedEx.com openings. I've seen a couple posted as non-DOT but all others say DOT. I"d like to know the difference. I have Type 2 Diabetes and can only get a one year card so would be great not to have to worry about it job wise.

overflowed

I've been looking at FedEx.com openings. I've seen a couple posted as non-DOT but all others say DOT. I"d like to know the difference. I have Type 2 Diabetes and can only get a one year card so would be great not to have to worry about it job wise.
True, but think of the consequences of this Van. Will you not be under the DOT hos? Does this mean if you're at a boonie STA will you be required to work past DOT hours? I have no idea is why I'm asking what this means. It would be nice to not go to physicals but at what cost?

vantexan

True, but think of the consequences of this Van. Will you not be under the DOT hos? Does this mean if you're at a boonie STA will you be required to work past DOT hours? I have no idea is why I'm asking what this means. It would be nice to not go to physicals but at what cost?
Hadn't thought about that. Could certainly mean much longer hours as needed.

bbsam

Staff member
I think someone at Express is confused. Years ago Ground thought the same thing when they started HD. I think they must have found out differently because we all have DOT physicals.

hypo hanna

fedex has always balked at the DOT classification of its drivers and the resultant restrictions on hours. To them , profitability comes before public safety.
Kind of odd that they could get this restriction lifted after the Tracy Morgan accident.
No announcement at my location.

whenIgetthere

Hadn't thought about that. Could certainly mean much longer hours as needed.

My station is so far from the ramp, the day is less than 12 hours long from the first CTV rolling in to the last CTV rolling out at night. I can see those closest to the ramp being afraid of potentially longer days.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Do you guys still have to take hour lunch?

At my station we are required to take an hour break if over 8 unless they say otherwise, ie. late freight or Peak. The scanners don't require it. We can put as long or as short of a break in our scanners as we want to. We just have to answer to management if it's not the required length.

STFXG

I think someone at Express is confused. Years ago Ground thought the same thing when they started HD. I think they must have found out differently because we all have DOT physicals.
Isn't the physical contractually required, not DOT required for those under 10000 lbs gvw? Same with HOS rules. We aren't lawfully required to follow those rules we are contractually bound.

Sent using BrownCafe App

whenIgetthere

Here we are now required to take an hour break if over SIX hours now since a new DM transferred in. OLCC's flying around for days when you only work 6 or 6-1/2 hours and don't take an hour.

bbsam

Staff member
Isn't the physical contractually required, not DOT required for those under 10000 lbs gvw? Same with HOS rules. We aren't lawfully required to follow those rules we are contractually bound.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Not sure. A lot of interesting questions though.

We were discussing this at work just this week as UPS is saying the same thing for package car drivers because of their vehicles size.

My point is, why should it matter? A driver required to work long hours by his employer can kill someone just as easily in a FedEx van, a UPS PC, or in my Feeder equipment.
And the "you're not really driving all that time because you're delivering to a stop" is BS too. It's not that you are driving that fatigues you, it's the long hours. What's the dangerous part is that when you DO become fatigued you'll be at the wheel eventually.

No one cares when the fatigued driver trips over a rake in a yard. But kill some kid on a bike and it'll have their attention.

MAKAVELI

Here we are now required to take an hour break if over SIX hours now since a new DM transferred in. OLCC's flying around for days when you only work 6 or 6-1/2 hours and don't take an hour.
Ask for the specific policy on meal breaks. No where does it say an hour is required. It's a directive to increase sph and reduce overtime. If it was policy then they couldn't authorize 30 min breaks during peak. Btw in Cali we routinely take 30 min breaks during heavy days and or late freight, even if going over 8 hours. We also signed a waiver for California years ago to go up to 11 hours 59 minutes without taking the full hour. We also do not have to take a break if working under 6 hours.

Last edited:

Nolimitz

We have one courier who is non-DOT due to medical reasons. He was only able to drive Sprinters or smaller. I heard this week he is ok to also drive the new "W640's". However he cannot drive a 700 or larger??

bbsam

Staff member
We were discussing this at work just this week as UPS is saying the same thing for package car drivers because of their vehicles size.

My point is, why should it matter? A driver required to work long hours by his employer can kill someone just as easily in a FedEx van, a UPS PC, or in my Feeder equipment.
And the "you're not really driving all that time because you're delivering to a stop" is BS too. It's not that you are driving that fatigues you, it's the long hours. What's the dangerous part is that when you DO become fatigued you'll be at the wheel eventually.

No one cares when the fatigued driver trips over a rake in a yard. But kill some kid on a bike and it'll have their attention.
For the most part I agree with you but I can drive all day and make 130 stops and be fine. However, I can barely drive across the state and keep my eyes open.