Non traditional age guys

542thruNthru

I'm serious. When you go from a part time sup to a full time sup they make you qualify as a driver.

Wow. We've had 4 ORS hired in the last year or so. None had to driver before hand. They did have to go to a school/training place.

Hell we even had one sup that had to finally be pushed out after a year because she couldn't qualify for a DOT card.

Maybe it's different depending on the area

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hey folks. Anyone here start at UPS later in life and move into mgmt or driver career? Im 38 and have a degree but I just cant stand 8 to 5 in an office anymore. So im doing an MBA and working at UPS PT starting September.
i worked at fedex for a year ,so Im aware of the physicality of the job. im very active so that is actually a plus for me.
Anyone here have a late start like this?
Thanks for any advice!
I’m around your age. I’ve been doing this for close to 20 years now. You want nothing to do with this place man

JustDeliverIt

Hey folks. Anyone here start at UPS later in life and move into mgmt or driver career? Im 38 and have a degree but I just cant stand 8 to 5 in an office anymore. So im doing an MBA and working at UPS PT starting September.
i worked at fedex for a year ,so Im aware of the physicality of the job. im very active so that is actually a plus for me.
Anyone here have a late start like this?
Thanks for any advice!

I started here PT working preload at 30. Did it for over 10 years before I got the opportunity to go out driving FT. Now, I don't think you will have to wait that long in most parts of the country any more, most centers are desperate for drivers. But I doubt you will be FT any time soon and will start as a PT Cover Driver and probably have to wait a few years (2-4 I would guess) before getting a FT opportunity. And that's without introducing the whole idea of a 22.4 driver to you. Even as a PT employee you will get great family coverage health insurance in as little as 3 months in some areas, just depends where you are. This is the only reason I started here.

Management might sound nice, but they do pay considerably more in health care from what I'm told. Also, again from what I've seen and heard, management are turning on their own. It's been happening the last few years now and I don't see it getting better for anyone just getting into it. Between the loss of retirement, health care and the fact that the people running this place are willing to squeeze everything to try and please the shareholders. New management is just another source for them to take from and increase the bottom line since you never knew how good they had it.

Honestly, use your degree to make money elsewhere and save your body. Don't like to be stuck indoors, take the family camping on the weekends. Do some yard work. No matter what job you do here, you will be committing more time than you ever expected to. If your family is not prepared for that, it can cause problems. Especially if you're home at 5:30 for dinner every night, not going to happen any more.

542thruNthru

I'm curious the debt you'll be in and still won't know what you want to do with it yet.

I truly hope you don't waste all that money to become a Driver.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
UPS covers as per my understanding, like 5K a year. At select centers. Not sure what HR has told you, or if your local has a different setup.

But you probably should make real sure before you take this job.

542thruNthru

No debt. UPS will cover the tuition Earn and learn program. Guess Im thinking more about Mgmt

Um don't you have to work at UPS at the time to get that. I thought you weren't working there yet.

I highly recommend you don't trust HR and find out the local union you'll be under and contact them to see how it works.

Collinsdad

I started here PT working preload at 30. Did it for over 10 years before I got the opportunity to go out driving FT. Now, I don't think you will have to wait that long in most parts of the country any more, most centers are desperate for drivers. But I doubt you will be FT any time soon and will start as a PT Cover Driver and probably have to wait a few years (2-4 I would guess) before getting a FT opportunity. And that's without introducing the whole idea of a 22.4 driver to you. Even as a PT employee you will get great family coverage health insurance in as little as 3 months in some areas, just depends where you are. This is the only reason I started here.

Management might sound nice, but they do pay considerably more in health care from what I'm told. Also, again from what I've seen and heard, management are turning on their own. It's been happening the last few years now and I don't see it getting better for anyone just getting into it. Between the loss of retirement, health care and the fact that the people running this place are willing to squeeze everything to try and please the shareholders. New management is just another source for them to take from and increase the bottom line since you never knew how good they had it.

Honestly, use your degree to make money elsewhere and save your body. Don't like to be stuck indoors, take the family camping on the weekends. Do some yard work. No matter what job you do here, you will be committing more time than you ever expected to. If your family is not prepared for that, it can cause problems. Especially if you're home at 5:30 for dinner every night, not going to happen any more.
Thanks very much for your reply. Very helpful.