Non-Union?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Except for our pilots FedEx Express is non-union. But consider the way the company behaves, especially surrounding the issue of seniority. If you want a summer vacation, you can forget about it in many stations because senior people have all the slots. How's a nice family vacation in February sound?

Let's talk about being upgraded from PT to FT. Again, it's not about performance, it's all about seniority. The same goes for transfers. You can be an absolutely astounding performer, yet the slug who was hired the year before you gets the job. Route bidding? Same deal. Fair? No, but that's the way it is.

FedEx acts like it is a meritocracy, but the truth is that the company behaves like a union shop in many regards already.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Except for our pilots FedEx Express is non-union. But consider the way the company behaves, especially surrounding the issue of seniority. If you want a summer vacation, you can forget about it in many stations because senior people have all the slots. How's a nice family vacation in February sound?

Let's talk about being upgraded from PT to FT. Again, it's not about performance, it's all about seniority. The same goes for transfers. You can be an absolutely astounding performer, yet the slug who was hired the year before you gets the job. Route bidding? Same deal. Fair? No, but that's the way it is.

FedEx acts like it is a meritocracy, but the truth is that the company behaves like a union shop in many regards already.

Is that true? I might go over to FedEx if that's the case.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Seriously? That's double the PT starting wage at UPS. Good deal!

Wow, you're Fred's kind of guy. It will take you 20 years to reach top wage from that $15.00 starting point, and by then, your UPS counterpart will be making probably twice as much if you also count retirement and benefits. The figure I quoted is for a PT courier, not for a pre-loader/handler/box monkey.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wow, you're Fred's kind of guy. It will take you 20 years to reach top wage from that $15.00 starting point, and by then, your UPS counterpart will be making probably twice as much if you also count retirement and benefits. The figure I quoted is for a PT courier, not for a pre-loader/handler/box monkey.

Yeah, but at least you are treated with respect and dignity. There's a cost for everything!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah, but at least you are treated with respect and dignity. There's a cost for everything!

Right. Total respect and dignity at all times. That's FedEx P-S-P in action!!! By the way, would you be interested in some fine vacation property in Florida? It's only under water part of the year. Fred sells prime real estate on the side, but only to his best friends.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yeah, but at least you are treated with respect and dignity. There's a cost for everything

HA

That was tongue in cheek, as were all of my responses.

If you are treated (cheated) as unfairly, miserably and outrageously as at UPS, I'm sorry to hear. I thought it'd be funny to extract the usual responses frm MrFedEx :D

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I wouldn't. Merely said that my experience has been different than yours, which by your statement you have shown yourself to agree.

Agreed, but your original statement might lend credence to the false notion that FedEx "respects" it's employees, which it does not. It's nice that they love you and that you love them back.

bbsam

Staff member
Respect and dignity does not fit in at FED EX Corp. They want it but don't give it, last time I checked it was a 2 way street.

Doesn't really say anything about working for them in the post I referenced. Respect and dignity with respect to the working relationship I have with the company has nothing to do with "love".

FedExer267

We all know the IC classification is bogus. The managers at Ground do there best to treat us as employees. We had a guy in our stable of drivers who recieved a complaint, the next thing he knows he is in a meeting with the managers watching a FedEx video and having to fill out a packet on proper delivery techniques. He told me he filled out the packet however the answers were not to there liking and they were not going to let him drive until he copied the answers from a packet so they could send a copy in and put a copy in his file. Why if we are not their employees do they have a file on us? Should that not be the contractors job? We are his employees not FEDEX employees right.
We are treated like employees in every aspect of the word except for the hourly wage, overtime, beneifits, vacation, holidays etc.
They want to call us all day and tell us to go back so no more phone for me. They want us to unload International Packages, sorry not my job thats the unloads job, they want to give us new pickups with windows 3 hours after we are out of the area, with no asking if we can do it and negotiate a better time. They treat us like employees period. Where else can you work 50 hours plus a week and still qualify for Food Stamps ? So until they pay us like employees and give us all the benefits of a employee I say pound sand. You will get out of me what is paid for and at this point your damn lucky I dont bring the truck back at hour 8 and say have a good night!!!!=)