None Of The Above

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As I watch the campaigns unfold and the players announced for next years General election, I become increasingly aware that there is once again going to be no viable candidates to vote for.
For those of you still able to stomach the train wreck this forum has become in the interim, and are still unbiased and searching for an alternative, I would like to pose to you a simple question.

Would you consider voting for a slate in the Delegates Election for next summer's Convention who run on a platform and a slate name of "None Of The Above"?

We will go to the convention to entertain and bring to the floor motions for much needed bylaw amendments to the IBT Constitution, while abstaining from supporting or voting for any candidate for General President or the EBoard.
If this movement were to gain traction in multiple locals and regions, what a powerful message it would send?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
As I watch the campaigns unfold and the players announced for next years General election, I become increasingly aware that there is once again going to be no viable candidates to vote for.
For those of you still able to stomach the train wreck this forum has become in the interim, and are still unbiased and searching for an alternative, I would like to pose to you a simple question.

Would you consider voting for a slate in the Delegates Election for next summer's Convention who run on a platform and a slate name of "None Of The Above"?

We will go to the convention to entertain and bring to the floor motions for much needed bylaw amendments to the IBT Constitution, while abstaining from supporting or voting for any candidate for General President or the EBoard.
If this movement were to gain traction in multiple locals and regions, what a powerful message it would send?

I would consider it, but the major issue with this would be with such a slate not being accredited. Additionally, it would further split the anti-Hoffa vote between three slates (Teamsters United, the propped-up Mixon Slate, and this new slate). It's an option worth exploring and debating, but I'm not sure if further watering-down of the anti-Hoffa vote would be the best move.

That being said, such a move might send a strong message to the winners of the contest.

I definitely have to agree with your assessment. I still consider myself disenchanted with Hoffa/Hall after the lackluster, concessionary contract they negotiated with UPS. Trampling union democracy by running roughshod over the holdout locals simply made things worse, in my opinion.

That being said, the Teamsters United slate is a :censored2:ing joke. The fact that they haven't expected the problems they're facing (Liam running against Tim in his own local, the incumbents actually checking the validity of a candidate to run, etc.) shows they were never ready for the big stage. Sylvester is the only legitimate contender on the slate, as local 804 has one of the best UPS supplements in the country. Otherwise, he's surrounded himself with seemingly incompetent people. Fred isn't one of them, but he has his own agenda and I find it pretty hard to trust him after knowing his history.

How does someone running for an International VP slot for one of the largest unions in the US not understand the importance of staying current on dues? How does a slate that's trying to run with the nationwide dissatisfaction with the UPS contract not run an accredited candidate against the head of the IBT Package Division for GST? Why is one lily white slate running against another lily white slate when a large number of our brother and sister Teamsters are African American or otherwise people of color?

Teamsters United has not been serious "out the gate" while running against an entrenched union bureaucracy; when doing so requires nothing but the utmost discipline. This is a campaign where Al M is running his own slate with only himself for GP in order to split the anti-Hoffa vote (absolutely shocked there's not any outcry/hate on Mixon here on the forums.) When every dirty (but legal) trick is being pulled, a slate can't afford to come stumbling and stuttering from the get-go.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I would consider it, but the major issue with this would be with such a slate not being accredited.
I am only considering this for local level deligate elections, not on the national level.
We only need to be nominated and seconded for a local delegates election.
Imagine the Convention floor with nobody wearing either vest and voting for "None Of The Above".

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
what you are suggesting is already being done in every election.

it's called low or no turnout to vote. when people dont vote arent they already saying " none of the above?"

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
what you are suggesting is already being done in every election.

it's called low or no turnout to vote. when people dont vote arent they already saying " none of the above?"
I have to respectfully disagree, while appreciating the semantics of your message.
While this is certainly true in every other election, it has not and never will hold true in regards to the National Teamsters Convention in Las Vegas.
I guarantee you, there won't be an empty chair on the floor.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
When the people are outraged enough to do something about an issue is when you'll see change. Gradual moves are widely accepted as moves in either direction as newcomers get hired and old timers retire. Until there is a major shock and awe type move by either side the gradual give and take of every negotiation will continue. In short, the motivation for involvement is limited to the force of impact new contracts and leaders produce, hence why the south carried the last contract, no real change to our status quo.

image.jpeg

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
I would consider it, but the major issue with this would be with such a slate not being accredited. Additionally, it would further split the anti-Hoffa vote between three slates (Teamsters United, the propped-up Mixon Slate, and this new slate). It's an option worth exploring and debating, but I'm not sure if further watering-down of the anti-Hoffa vote would be the best move.

That being said, such a move might send a strong message to the winners of the contest.

I definitely have to agree with your assessment. I still consider myself disenchanted with Hoffa/Hall after the lackluster, concessionary contract they negotiated with UPS. Trampling union democracy by running roughshod over the holdout locals simply made things worse, in my opinion.

That being said, the Teamsters United slate is a :censored2:ing joke. The fact that they haven't expected the problems they're facing (Liam running against Tim in his own local, the incumbents actually checking the validity of a candidate to run, etc.) shows they were never ready for the big stage. Sylvester is the only legitimate contender on the slate, as local 804 has one of the best UPS supplements in the country. Otherwise, he's surrounded himself with seemingly incompetent people. Fred isn't one of them, but he has his own agenda and I find it pretty hard to trust him after knowing his history.

How does someone running for an International VP slot for one of the largest unions in the US not understand the importance of staying current on dues? How does a slate that's trying to run with the nationwide dissatisfaction with the UPS contract not run an accredited candidate against the head of the IBT Package Division for GST? Why is one lily white slate running against another lily white slate when a large number of our brother and sister Teamsters are African American or otherwise people of color?

Teamsters United has not been serious "out the gate" while running against an entrenched union bureaucracy; when doing so requires nothing but the utmost discipline. This is a campaign where Al M is running his own slate with only himself for GP in order to split the anti-Hoffa vote (absolutely shocked there's not any outcry/hate on Mixon here on the forums.) When every dirty (but legal) trick is being pulled, a slate can't afford to come stumbling and stuttering from the get-go.
You just summed up 99% of Teamsters. So apathy sits in