Norway's War on Butter

wkmac

Norwegian police have arrested two Swedes for smuggling more than 250 kilograms of butter into the country.
Norway is currently facing a severe butter shortage driving people to resort to extremes to get their hands on the highly coveted spread.
The two men were able to sell a packet of butter for roughly $33 in Beitstad, Steinkjer near the Swedish border before their van laden with the yellow stuff was stopped by police Saturday evening. The illegal butter will no doubt be destroyed as it had not been declared at customs, Norwegian newspaper Adresseavisen reports.s
“They have confessed that they bought butter in Sweden to sell at a profit in Norway. They were hoping to make some money by selling butter to Norwegians,” lawyer Amund Sand told Adresseavisen.

[h=1]Butter smugglers nabbed in Norway as shortage escalates[/h]

moreluck

golden ticket member
This has been going on since before Christmas with the butter shortage there. I remember buying butter for making cookies for 2 lb for $6 and thinking , "those people would riot for a price this good."

klein

Für Meno :)
Opposite in Quebec :

Quebec is the only jurisdiction in Canada where yellow margarine is banned. The province, which is backed by the $1.7-billion milk industry, says it the law protects its large dairy industry.

The argument is that if margarine resembles butter, it will take the market share from butter because it is about half the price.

Guylaine Gosselin of the Quebec Milk Producers Association, says they don't mind if margarine is coloured, as long as it isn't the same colour as butter.
(sofar Quebec only has natural white margarine, and actually looks like lard). !

She said that since Ontario allowed yellow margarine in 1994, butter sales in the province have dropped by seven per cent while in Quebec, butter sales have increase by six per cent in the same period.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Butter's better in and on everything!!

I bypass all that phony crap and go for the real stuff. On pancakes, waffles, baked potatoes, veggies and in all baked goods!!

klein

Butter's better in and on everything!!

I bypass all that phony crap and go for the real stuff. On pancakes, waffles, baked potatoes, veggies and in all baked goods!!

I agree with you on that one - 100%.
Btw, if you want to make your own 100% canola or vegetable oil margarine, all you'll need is to put oil into on of those household ice cream makers.
To make it yellow, add some orange food colouring.
And to even make a better margarine, blend in some whey ( a waste product from cheese making), or skim milk powder into the oil, before it goes thru the ice cream maker.

Then why again go thru that entire process, save yourself some time and energy and just put oil on your bread as a spread or add oil into your mashed potatoes (YUCK) !

moreluck

golden ticket member
......" save yourself some time and energy and just put oil on your bread as a spread (YUCK) ! ".............

Most Italian restarants give you crusty bread,a small dish of olive oil and a cruet of balsemic and you dip the bread in it.....it's a great appetizer and not a YUCK!!!

klein

......" save yourself some time and energy and just put oil on your bread as a spread (YUCK) ! ".............

Most Italian restarants give you crusty bread,a small dish of olive oil and a cruet of balsemic and you dip the bread in it.....it's a gerat appetizer and not a YUCK!!!

I actually have bought olive oil margarine (sale price).
It's actually more expensive then butter.
But olive oil margarine is not your commen cheap margarine.

It wasn't bad, but still like butter better.

klein

So much for the land that he loves. No margarine allowed.

Wrong again, just no artificial colours that seem to make margarine appear as butter !

That's how all margarine looks like in Quebec, with no artificial colouring allowed !

P

pickup

Wrong again, just no artificial colours that seem to make margarine appear as butter !

That's how all margarine looks like in Quebec, with no artificial colouring allowed !

Okay, let me rephrase that: so much for the land that he loves, no margarine with artificial coloring allowed.

klein

Some history for you, older people like Moreluck probably remember white margarine !

United States:

As early as 1877, the first United States (U.S.) states had passed laws to restrict the sale and labeling of margarine. By the mid-1880s, the U.S. federal government had introduced a tax of two cents per pound, and manufacturers needed an expensive license to make or sell the product. Individual states began to require the clear labeling of margarine. The color bans, drafted by the butter lobby, began in the dairy states of New York and New Jersey. In several states, legislatures enacted laws to require margarine manufacturers to add pink colorings to make the product look unpalatable, but the Supreme Court struck down New Hampshire's law and overruled these measures in Collins v. New Hampshire, 171 U.S. 30 (1898). Some localities required restaurants using margarine to post signs reading "Artificial Butter Used Here".

By the start of the 20th century, eight out of ten Americans could not buy yellow margarine, and those that could had to pay a hefty tax on it.
Bootleg colored margarine became common, and manufacturers began to supply food-coloring capsules so that the consumer could knead the yellow color into margarine before serving it.
Nevertheless, the regulations and taxes had a significant effect: the 1902 restrictions on margarine color, for example, cut annual U.S. consumption from 120,000,000 to 48,000,000 pounds (54,000 to 22,000 t).

The long-running rent-seeking battle between the margarine and dairy lobbies continued:
In the U.S., the Great Depression brought a renewed wave of pro-dairy legislation; the Second World War, a swing back to margarine.
Post-war, the margarine lobby gained power and, little by little, the main margarine restrictions were lifted, the most recent states to do so being Minnesota in 1963 and Wisconsin in 1967. Some unenforced laws remain on the books

moreluck

golden ticket member
My mom used Parkay.........never saw white margarine in my life.....and who you callin' old!!

Last edited: