Not cut out for this Loading Life

Sunday was the start of my 3rd week with UPS in Oklahoma City. I was hired as a package handler on the midnight shift. I thought I was in pretty good shape. I was an athlete up until college. I'm 26 now and I took this job just for extra pay on the side because I do have a full time job. Honestly, I don't think my body can handle it. I don't want to quit. I'm trying to stay focused on the big picture. It was recommended that I take the sort test to move over to the sort aisle. I got the study guide last night and I have no clue how to even begin studying. I know something has to give but I'm not a quitter. Any advice, recommendations, support, encouragement, motivation?? Anything is appreciated!!

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
When I first started unloading I could barely get up after the second day. My wife had to apply Icy Hot constantly. I found after a few weeks my body got used to it. I use a weight belt and constantly bend at my knees and avoid twisting to take the strain off my back. Eat a good breakfast in the morning and drink plenty of fluids.

What is the sort test? I've been thrown into almost every single position and haven't had to take a sort test.

You'd be surprised after a week or so how your body acclimates to the lifting. Now I can knock out a 100% trailer in 40 minutes or less.

Depending on your sup, you could ask to be rotated to other positions on the belt instead of being in one spot constantly. Our sup does rotate people so we don't burn out.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Sunday was the start of my 3rd week with UPS in Oklahoma City. I was hired as a package handler on the midnight shift. I thought I was in pretty good shape. I was an athlete up until college. I'm 26 now and I took this job just for extra pay on the side because I do have a full time job. Honestly, I don't think my body can handle it. I don't want to quit. I'm trying to stay focused on the big picture. It was recommended that I take the sort test to move over to the sort aisle. I got the study guide last night and I have no clue how to even begin studying. I know something has to give but I'm not a quitter. Any advice, recommendations, support, encouragement, motivation?? Anything is appreciated!!
You're the 3rd one today cryng about how hard their job is. Maybe the three of you should get together and figure out what to do instead of whining to internet strangers. I know, here's a suggestion, if you don't like the work, quit. There will be 1000 more people waiting to fill your spots.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I don't think my body can handle it"
"I got the study guide last night and I have no clue how to even begin studying"

Do you hear yourself?? Wah...i'm a woman....I want a job here but don't want to have to work hard and lift heavy things. I don't want to have to memorize and pass a test to be a sorter....that's too much like work.

"Something has to give"

Yup either you learn to adapt to the job, or quit. Didn't you know what the job entailed when you were hired, or did you think you were going to be in an office answering phones? :rofl:

km3

I wanted to quit every day for my first 3 weeks. Just hang in there.

When I first started unloading I could barely get up after the second day. My wife had to apply Icy Hot constantly. I found after a few weeks my body got used to it. I use a weight belt and constantly bend at my knees and avoid twisting to take the strain off my back. Eat a good breakfast in the morning and drink plenty of fluids.

What is the sort test? I've been thrown into almost every single position and haven't had to take a sort test.

You'd be surprised after a week or so how your body acclimates to the lifting. Now I can knock out a 100% trailer in 40 minutes or less.

Depending on your sup, you could ask to be rotated to other positions on the belt instead of being in one spot constantly. Our sup does rotate people so we don't burn out.

Thank you, sir. I really appreciate your response. The sort test is a test you take before you can move to the sort aisle. Has all of the states and splits arranged by colors that you need to memorize.

Rack em

Made the Podium
It's a good job, but it requires both physical and mental toughness which a lot of kids these days don't have. If you aren't cut out for it then just quit and save yourself the stress and let some other young hopeful get his shot at ups.

Brownies...mmm

Never Underestimate the Power of a Woman
Not the responses you thought you would get OP. They don't take kindly to whining on here.

Anyway you have to decide what your motivation is benefits, etc. This job is not for everyone. It's a very physical job but definitely a lot of mental. If you really want it, hang a little longer and you can do it.

Good luck

BTW I'm on week 8