Not in Union yet but is this right?

air_dr

Take this for what ever its worth: Explain your situation in a positive, non-confrontational way. Tell your sup what you told us. By working only one hour, with the cost of gas, you will have lost money coming in. Then offer a compromise: Tell them you understand they may be overstaffed on some days and have no work for you with you being at the bottom of the totem pole, but if they would then let you know ahead of time and call you on days they will not be needing you.

In addition, depending on how quickly you make friends and all, if you are so far away from work, can you car pool with someone at least part of the way? (The person would have to live in the same basic direction.)

UPSGUY72

He has a right to his 3.5 guarantee, when he punches in. If they try to send you home, tell them you would like your guarantee. If they force you to go home, then get with steward and file for the time up to the 3.5. Stand up for yourself.

He could do that But I would bet he wouldn't make his 30 days... Or he could find himself laid off...

You shouldn't rock the boat until you get your life preserver.

Buck Fifty

He could do that But I would bet he wouldn't make his 30 days... Or he could find himself laid off...

You shouldn't rock the boat until you get your life preserver.

If your just rocking the boat, you dont need the preserver, just a good steward. Its not like I was telling him to tip it over. Course Im not sure we are all in the same boat as you three .

UPSGUY72

If your just rocking the boat, you dont need the preserver, just a good steward. Its not like I was telling him to tip it over. Course Im not sure we are all in the same boat as you three .

The preserver is the UNION (ie your steward ) if you haven't made your 30 days they ( your steward ) doesn't have a right to defend you.... You are working at will until you make your 30 days meaning you can quit of the company can let you go for ANYTHING they don't even have to give you a reason and there is nothing you can do about it.

Buck Fifty

The preserver is the UNION (ie your steward ) if you haven't made your 30 days they ( your steward ) doesn't have a right to defend you.... You are working at will until you make your 30 days meaning you can quit of the company can let you go for ANYTHING they don't even have to give you a reason and there is nothing you can do about it.

He has every right to defend you. The preservers are whoever will stand up to the company and behind its employees.(thats the problem with the Management. Even the so called good ones stand in front of us, but not behind us.) This is the Union, The Steward, Your fellow Brothers and Sisters who work beside you. It will take all, so if your older (sorry , higher Seniority ) co-workers run scared and talk scared, then there in lies the problem.

klolx

I dont even know why you would get the job. You know you're only gonna be working 4hrs/day and its an hour away. lol you dun goofed

anonymous4

I was under the impression, despite what most utter, you get seniority right off and are therefore protected. Maybe that isn't the truth. When do you start paying initiation fees? I remember being told I couldn't even have a copy of the contract until I paid full in. This was told to me by the shop steward. What a way to empower the next groups of teamsters with knowledge in how things should be done.

JonFrum

The preserver is the UNION (ie your steward ) if you haven't made your 30 days they ( your steward ) doesn't have a right to defend you.... You are working at will until you make your 30 days meaning you can quit or the company can let you go for ANYTHING. They don't even have to give you a reason and there is nothing you can do about it.
Well, if Articles 1, 2 and 3 didn't convince you, maybe Article 57 of our New England Supplement will . . .

ARTICLE 57 - SENIORITY
Section 1
"b) All new employees shall be hired on a thirty (30) days' trial basis and shall work under the provisions of this Agreement within which time they may be dismissed without protest by the Union. However, the Employer may not layoff, discharge or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or discriminating in any manner prohibited by law. . . .

In case of discipline within the thirty (30) day period, the Employer shall notify the Local Union in writing."

UPSGUY72

Well, if Articles 1, 2 and 3 didn't convince you, maybe Article 57 of our New England Supplement will . . .

ARTICLE 57 - SENIORITY
Section 1
"b) All new employees shall be hired on a thirty (30) days' trial basis and shall work under the provisions of this Agreement within which time they may be dismissed without protest by the Union. However, the Employer may not layoff, discharge or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or discriminating in any manner prohibited by law. . . .

In case of discipline within the thirty (30) day period, the Employer shall notify the Local Union in writing."

What Article 57 says and what you can prove are two (2) different things. Since they don't have to give you a reason to let you go they can just say, "we don't need you anymore" and that would be the end of it.

I haven't seen one person get discipline in there 30 days but I have seen a lot be let go..... They don't have to discipline you when they can let you go for cause during you probation period why would management waste there time disciplining someone and possible open themselves up to problem when they don't have to do anything but say we don't need you anymore.

hiro

While you might be guaranteed your 3.5 from the start, and that is arguable, I would highly recommend not going to the union before you make seniority. I would try talking to your sup, which it sounds like you did, to find out why he/she was sending you home. Try asking if he could see if someone else would want to go home, so that you can stay.

I will tell you that if you worked for me and went to the union for not getting 3.5 hours before you made seniority, before you punched in the next day, I would have told you that we no longer needed you and to go home.

Buck Fifty

While you might be guaranteed your 3.5 from the start, and that is arguable, I would highly recommend not going to the union before you make seniority. I would try talking to your sup, which it sounds like you did, to find out why he/she was sending you home. Try asking if he could see if someone else would want to go home, so that you can stay.

I will tell you that if you worked for me and went to the union for not getting 3.5 hours before you made seniority, before you punched in the next day, I would have told you that we no longer needed you and to go home.

Your my Hiro!!!

JonFrum

What Article 57 says and what you can prove are two (2) different things. Since they don't have to give you a reason to let you go they can just say, "we don't need you anymore" and that would be the end of it.

I haven't seen one person get discipline in there 30 days but I have seen a lot be let go..... They don't have to discipline you when they can let you go for cause during you probation period why would management waste there time disciplining someone and possible open themselves up to problem when they don't have to do anything but say we don't need you anymore.

UPS invests a lot of money in the hireing process, orientation days, and initial training. No one forces UPS to hire someone. It's their decision. Therefore, there is a presumption that a person UPS actually hired was suitable, and the position needed filling. If UPS were to fire someone as they approached their 30 days, they might get away with it so long as they didn't replace him, or if the employee was obviously a poor worker. But if they fire a suitable employee because "they don't need you anymore" and then replace him with another New Hire, the Union will investigate to see if UPS is trying to evade the Seniority provision of the Contract. UPS can not hire a string of New Hires and fire them just before they reach Seniority.

The Union, and every employee, has an interest in Maintaining Standards, and this applies even to work done by non-Union Bargaining Unit members.

hiro

UPS invests a lot of money in the hireing process, orientation days, and initial training. No one forces UPS to hire someone. It's their decision. Therefore, there is a presumption that a person UPS actually hired was suitable, and the position needed filling. If UPS were to fire someone as they approached their 30 days, they might get away with it so long as they didn't replace him, or if the employee was obviously a poor worker. But if they fire a suitable employee because "they don't need you anymore" and then replace him with another New Hire, the Union will investigate to see if UPS is trying to evade the Seniority provision of the Contract. UPS can not hire a string of New Hires and fire them just before they reach Seniority.

The Union, and every employee, has an interest in Maintaining Standards, and this applies even to work done by non-Union Bargaining Unit members.

Most of the cost associated with hiring is fixed. The HR rep, and all training sups are going to be paid regardless of whether a new employee is hired. Obviously, it benefits everyone if the person that is hired is a good choice and is successful. But if they're not and are let go before their 30 days, the cost isn't that prohibitive. This is from a hub perspective with high turnover and regular hiring. I'm sure this would be different in a small center with low turnover.

I'm no longer in operations, but when I was, I loved to get new hires. It was probably the most enjoyable part of the job to train and work with new employees that wanted the job. Unfortunately, no matter what, some people just weren't meant for the job and it was better off for everyone to let them go before their 30 days.

Well They told me as soon as my shift started yesterday. I really think my FT Sup wants my to quit cause he is on my ass all day everyday and does everything he can to piss me off. I usually get to work about 20 mins before anyone else is their and roll out peoples diverters or set up their trucks properly. SO I get no credit for it and get sent home before Im even on the clock yesterday. Is it just me or do I have a real reason to be pissed off.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well They told me as soon as my shift started yesterday. I really think my FT Sup wants my to quit cause he is on my ass all day everyday and does everything he can to piss me off. I usually get to work about 20 mins before anyone else is their and roll out peoples diverters or set up their trucks properly. SO I get no credit for it and get sent home before Im even on the clock yesterday. Is it just me or do I have a real reason to be pissed off.

He's just trying to test your character.
You should really be pissed at yourself for coming in in and setting up the work area off the clock. WTF?

Buck Fifty

This is horrible advise for a new guy. He hasn't made book so they are pretty much looking for any reason not to hire him. Getting the union involved before his 30 is the fastest way to be sent home packing.

Is nobody paying attention here. He's already getting sent home. Only book he needs, is the little blue one. Lovelace, let me know how rolling over and playing dead works for you. And oh yeah, DONT WORK OFF THE CLOCK !!!!