NSA has nothing on Big Brown

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
Not only does the technology exist, UPS has it. The program is so secret that we don't use it for fatalities, tier 3 accidents, or any other collisions. It is only used to investigate damage to $100 basketball rims!

upscat

No way no how its a true story. That kind of satellite tech doesn't even exist for the private sector, at your disposal, service. Google doesn't own the satellite it rents time on one. The drive might have been shown a picture of a similar house with a PK car in the driveway just to start the rumor mill and grapevine intimidation behavior going. But as you can see from the best available aerial shots from Bing Maps the closes you get is around 1000 feet above target. Try and find any aerial picture closer than that. Do you think UPS owns a satellite that can take high resolution 10 feet off the ground pic's? You'd think you would have heard about that launch.

In addition it would see you would almost need 3D imagery to prove a top corner did not catch the rim. The best satallite could do would be to prove the rim was still up after the driver left the area. Is live Satallite imagery available to anyone other then the gooberment?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I could see UPS superimposing a UPS truck using the data from telematics onto a Google or Bing map. But that's as far as UPS could go.

One day before I retire, I would not be surprised that drone tech would be used. But not in 2014

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS could easily use drones to spy on drivers in the near future. No way they could be used to make deliveries like Amazon claimed though.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS could easily use drones to spy on drivers in the near future. No way they could be used to make deliveries like Amazon claimed though.
I could see UPS using drones to shuttle NDA or Same Day packages to a driver on route.
Of course, I think they would be referred to as "Scab Drones".

bbsam

Staff member
Let's stop and stretch the imagination. I remember when the first GPS satellites were being deployed under hushed whispers. That was a military undertaking if I remember correctly. Who uses GPS today? There was a story recently on NPR about a highly developed 360 degree camera still in pre-production phase.

suppose the military has something similar and through a myriad of photographic images (including a homeowners security camera images) is able to work an algorithms into video "evidence". Eventually this highly expensive technology could be everywhere (like GPS) but before it hits the googlesphere, select "small" samples like a fleet of trucks can act as a "Beta" testing phase. Laser guided bombs are so 1991. How about a bullet that absolutely cannot miss it's target?

bbsam

Staff member
Seriously annoyed with the comments acting like I'm fabricating something...
The more I think about it, the more possible it becomes in my mind. From orbit, how much does a lens doesn't have to even move to photograph a whole city of UPS trucks many times a second. Remember, everything is a series of 1's and 0's. Nothing has to be in focus until the algorithm bends it into focus. It's like watching all the trucks peripherally until one determines which vehicle to focus on.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Why would they go through that trouble to clear a driver? To blame one? That I can see.

OP said they accused him then brought him in the next day to vindicate him. They probably didn't have evidence to prove either on the first day. center manager probably got the customer complaint when he came in hours before.

Johney

OP said they accused him then brought him in the next day to vindicate him. They probably didn't have evidence to prove either on the first day. center manager probably got the customer complaint when he came in hours before.
Have you ever seen them go to this extent to show a driver their innocence?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Have you ever seen them go to this extent to show a driver their innocence?

I've seen plenty of times where the driver gets brought in with a steward because of a customer complaint. They ask his/her story then investigate. Then they go out there and find tire tracks, damage, etc don't match the truck or in this case telematics, GPS.

Management would prefer to tell customer UPS didn't do it then blame a driver for it just because of a call. Plus the center manager and center would take a hit for an accident if it did happen.

Johney

I've seen plenty of times where the driver gets brought in with a steward because of a customer complaint. They ask his/her story then investigate. Then they go out there and find tire tracks, damage, etc don't match the truck or in this case telematics, GPS.

Management would prefer to tell customer UPS didn't do it then blame a driver for it just because of a call. Plus the center manager and center would take a hit for an accident if it did happen.
OK different procedures I guess.