NTSB wants to ban cell phone use of any type by commercial drivers

klein

Für Meno :)
Top 10 excuses for driving with cellphone

Here are the top excuses that police heard from drivers who were caught using a hand-held device while driving, according to the ICBC:

This is a bogus law.

It was my boss on the phone – I had to answer it.

I wasn’t using it – I just like to hold it.

Sorry officer, I didn’t see you trying to pull me over because I was on my phone.

But it was an emergency call to my wedding planner!

My Bluetooth died.

Driver: I’m using my speakerphone. Police officer: No, you’re holding your phone in one hand and steering with the other.

I’m not driving; I was stopped at a red light.

I wasn’t talking, I was checking my messages.

I was just checking the time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

During our PCM this morning the on-car supervisor reminded us again that it is illegal to use a hand-held device while driving. This includes the DIAD. He then told us that Coca-Cola is potentially under the gun for $1M as a result of an accident in which one of their drivers was using their cell phone.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I had the same pcm this moring but was told the plaintiff lost both legs and receive a 24 mllion dollar judgment.

Cementups

Box Monkey
During our PCM this morning the on-car supervisor reminded us again that it is illegal to use a hand-held device while driving. This includes the DIAD. He then told us that Coca-Cola is potentially under the gun for $1M as a result of an accident in which one of their drivers was using their cell phone.

Package car drivers are NOT commercial drivers, FYI.

HomeDelivery

Yes we are, we do not have CDLs, but we are considered 'commercial drivers"

agreed, we have to take DOT health screens every 2 years, same as "commercial drivers" with a CDL

our package cars have DOT numbers on them,

we adhere to DOT operating /rest hours,

however, some of those who drive those 26' straight box trucks with air brakes should have a CDL?!? or that 26,000 lb limit is for unloaded vehicles?

Cementups

Box Monkey
OK, I will clarify. My brother is a Pennsylvania State Trooper and I asked him about the use of cell phones for "commercial" drivers. He stated to me that we are not affected by this since we do not have Commercial Drivers License.

But since I had asked him about this PA has put into law that texting or use of other electronic devices are prohibited. We as package car drivers will still be able to use a hand held device to speak on.

Hope this is more clear. My bad.

OK, I will clarify. My brother is a Pennsylvania State Trooper and I asked him about the use of cell phones for "commercial" drivers. He stated to me that we are not affected by this since we do not have Commercial Drivers License.

But since I had asked him about this PA has put into law that texting or use of other electronic devices are prohibited. We as package car drivers will still be able to use a hand held device to speak on.

He's wrong bro. I know this for a fact.

Inthegame

Your brother should review FMCS regulation 390.5 which defines a CMV as a vehicle with a GVW of 10,001 pounds. No CDL is required under 26,001lbs., but anything over 10,001lbs. is a CMV.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I have to disagree with this. I can't just drive by a DOT scale. And I DO have a CDL.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Your brother should review FMCS regulation 390.5 which defines a CMV as a vehicle with a GVW of 10,001 pounds. No CDL is required under 26,001lbs., but anything over 10,001lbs. is a CMV.

You almost have it right. Anything under 26,001 and is a single unit that has air brakes has to have a CDL class B.