NYC sick leave law.

snarts

In NYC if you work more than 80 hours in a calander year you are allowed 56 hours of paid sick leave. Since we have a collective bargaining agreement does that null it for us? I'm part time and don't get half those hours.

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
I believe the law is a NYS DoL law. Every 30 hours worked, you gain 1 hour of sick time, up to 56 hours a year. At least the article about local 118 challenging the law against UPS I read about stated that. So Im guessing yes, if you live in NY as long as you worked 1,680 hours in a year, you would gain 56 hours paid sick time. Question I'm wondering is if this going to accumulate from all the years you've been the company, does it reset each year, and if there is a buyout at the end of the year for time not used

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
I believe the law is a NYS DoL law. Every 30 hours worked, you gain 1 hour of sick time, up to 56 hours a year. At least the article about local 118 challenging the law against UPS I read about stated that. So Im guessing yes, if you live in NY as long as you worked 1,680 hours in a year, you would gain 56 hours paid sick time. Question I'm wondering is if this going to accumulate from all the years you've been the company, does it reset each year, and if there is a buyout at the end of the year for time not used
I was never aware of this I am in CA and we basically have the same thing(looked it up).Every time I've called in sick, I was not paid.(I have about 40 hours)I am going to call in and file a grievance when they don't pay me citing California law on the grievance.

PT Car Washer

I was never aware of this I am in CA and we basically have the same thing(looked it up).Every time I've called in sick, I was not paid.(I have about 40 hours)I am going to call in and file a grievance when they don't pay me citing California law on the grievance.
Be glad you don't live in a Republican controlled RTW state. If we don't work we don't get paid. Sometimes we don't always get paid for the time we do work. Our state DOL says if you don't like your job you can always quit.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
In NorCal we get 9 sick days (72 hours) a year. We do have state laws on the books but our CBA is still more generous.

JustDeliverIt

In NYC if you work more than 80 hours in a calander year you are allowed 56 hours of paid sick leave. Since we have a collective bargaining agreement does that null it for us? I'm part time and don't get half those hours.

I work in NY as well and was just looking at this today. The understanding is that it is on top of our contractual time off. Luckily we have our local meeting tonight so I am going to find out.

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
I work in NY as well and was just looking at this today. The understanding is that it is on top of our contractual time off. Luckily we have our local meeting tonight so I am going to find out.
If you don't mind updating after the meeting, that'd be great!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This liberal move backfired on many workers as companies reacted by moving to a timebank system. Many lost paid holidays as a result.

542thruNthru

You're not entitled to it for two reasons.

1. You're in what they call a "grandfathered" paid time off policy.

2. Employees covered by collective bargaining agreements with specified provisions are exempt.

Swanson

You're not entitled to it for two reasons.

1. You're in what they call a "grandfathered" paid time off policy.

2. Employees covered by collective bargaining agreements with specified provisions are exempt.
So if the law does not apply to me what good is it earning an hour for pst every week?(not trying to argue just trying to figure this out)
Employees exempt from the paid sick leave law include
:Employees covered by collective bargaining agreements with specified provisions

An employer using a “grandfathered” (i.e., existing) paid time off policy or plan must ensure that the plan “makes available an amount of leave applicable to employees that may be used for the same purposes [i.e., for paid sick leave] and under the same conditions [i.e., paid at the same rate] as specified in” section 246 of the new law. This means that an employer using a grandfathered paid time off plan must ensure that time that is taken off for paid sick leave must be paid in the manner as specified in the new law (as quoted and summarized above).
To qualify for sick leave, an employee must:
  • Work for the same employer, on or after January 1, 2015, for at least 30 days within a year in California, and
  • Satisfy a 90-day employment period (similar to a probationary period) before taking any sick leave

Swanson

- SICK PAY 15.000 4.00 60.00
This is from the first time I called in I was paid,all the other times I was marked as no call even though I did.The last time I took a day off I told the full time sup I was taking a day off,and he said he I had no time off (but I had over 30 hours PST),and marked it as an option day(I understand why I don't get option days yet)But why can't I use the hours I have earned?

542thruNthru

So if the law does not apply to me what good is it earning an hour for pst every week?(not trying to argue just trying to figure this out)
Employees exempt from the paid sick leave law include
:Employees covered by collective bargaining agreements with specified provisions

An employer using a “grandfathered” (i.e., existing) paid time off policy or plan must ensure that the plan “makes available an amount of leave applicable to employees that may be used for the same purposes [i.e., for paid sick leave] and under the same conditions [i.e., paid at the same rate] as specified in” section 246 of the new law. This means that an employer using a grandfathered paid time off plan must ensure that time that is taken off for paid sick leave must be paid in the manner as specified in the new law (as quoted and summarized above).
To qualify for sick leave, an employee must:
  • Work for the same employer, on or after January 1, 2015, for at least 30 days within a year in California, and
  • Satisfy a 90-day employment period (similar to a probationary period) before taking any sick leave
It's not good to you. The law was made for people who's employer's refuse to give sick leave pay. Your employer has a CBA that has specified sick leave language.

542thruNthru

Depends. Does your CBA meet these requirements?
Screenshot_20211018-142138_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Swanson

It's not good to you. The law was made for people who's employer's refuse to give sick leave pay. Your employer has a CBA that has specified sick leave language.
Section 20 in the Southwest rider/sort rider says after 1 year I am entitled to sick pay.So I am unable to use them until then?What's the point of earning them then if I can't use them?Since,the way our contract is set up and it does not meet the state law requirements(since I am under a year) shouldn't I be entitled to the credits I have earned,based on the state law?

Last edited: