Obama /McCain at Saddleback

moreluck

golden ticket member
I just watched the 2 hours with the 2 candidates. McCain came off more presidential to me. His answers were direct, succinct and quick. Obama's answers made me feel like I was being baffled with bullchit.

Experience rules !!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My thoughts too. It will probably depend on who you support, but I thought McCain did better. Obama seemed to dance around a few of the questions. He got the abortion rate wrong, gave bad answers on who he would ask advice from, and personally, I disagreed with a lot of his stands. I wasn't impressed with his body language either, he seemed to look away from Rick Warren a lot and avoid eye contact. McCain surprised me in that he was more personable than I thought he would be. His answers came much quicker too. I thought it was an interesting format. They were asked the same questions without knowing what the other one said.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't quite remember the question, but one of Obama's answers was that it was "above his payscale"........HUH?? Did I hear that right?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes you did hear it right. I actually cannot remember the ? as I was falling asleep with the ums, and the uhs.

I thought it was mostly a home run for McCain. And unless I missed the last part of Obamas which was possible (see above) I thought McCain got more questions.
He was much better than I expected.

wkmac

The homerun was for Pastor Warren and the Saddleback church. Since all the hoopla of the book, The Purpose Driven Life, has died down, Warren and Saddleback have not been an item in the public eye. This debate pulled Warren and the church back into the center ring of the 3 ring circus that is American electoral politics and thus amped up the PR machine for Warren Inc.

Warren Inc. was able to one up the networks, the political parties and the various political operatives by bringing us what amounts to a type of "soft and gentler" debate even before the conventions themselves. Who sez Jesus doesn't sell in decadent and sinful America!

Warren also managed to get religion back in a kind of center position in American politics as for the last nearly 30 years it was made to appear (via a type Cris Angel illusionism) an exclusive domain of the republican party.

I have little use for Warren, Saddleback or organized religion for that matter but Warren and Saddleback IMHO came out the real winners in this deal. Hats off to a brillant move on their part.

Overpaid Union Thug

McCain came out ahead on this one. No question about it. The biggest lesson the nation should have learned from this is that there are allot "gray areas" when dealing with Obama. He just doesn't seem sure about anything.

diesel96

Clearly one can tell the difference between the two canidates besides their policies stances, but by the way they deliver their answers.....McCain seemed straightforward, rehearsed and practised, delivering POW stories designed to touch the soul, and somewhat blurted out short respones with not much true thought and convictions behind them. He seemed to be pandering to the audience more than to Mr Warren.
Obama seemed to be having a conversation with Mr Warren than pandering to the audience. Obama seems to give deeper more thought out responses, seemed to be walking on eggshells at times on sensitive issues e.g...pro choice question, due to a more pro-conservative christian crowd. But clearly thinks out his idea's and judgement on issues without rushing to conclusions that result in blowback.

moreluck

golden ticket member
A little hard to be rehearsed & practiced when they didn't know what questions they would be asked.

I want a decisive president. McCain's answers were quicker because he has more experience to draw from. Obama has basically, none.

Also, I don't find it very comforting that 2 of Obama's picks for giving him advice was his wife & grandma.

over9five

Staff member
Thanks, More, I've watched the whole thing.

All I can say is, Wow! McCain blew Obama away. Obama clearly struggled with the answers going on and on with garbage, while he tried to think of an actual answer.

McCain had an easy going style, and gave real world ANSWERS without having to go to useless speach while formulating an answer in his head like Obama.

McCains answer to the "evil in the world" question had me almost cheering. Obama kinda whimped out rattling on about abusive parents or something.

It was a really good interview. I liked Rick Warren, and I liked how neither candidate could hear the others answers. Made it very interesting.

tieguy

Banned
Clearly one can tell the difference between the two canidates besides their policies stances, but by the way they deliver their answers.....McCain seemed straightforward, rehearsed and practised, delivering POW stories designed to touch the soul, and somewhat blurted out short respones with not much true thought and convictions behind them. He seemed to be pandering to the audience more than to Mr Warren.
Obama seemed to be having a conversation with Mr Warren than pandering to the audience. Obama seems to give deeper more thought out responses, seemed to be walking on eggshells at times on sensitive issues e.g...pro choice question, due to a more pro-conservative christian crowd. But clearly thinks out his idea's and judgement on issues without rushing to conclusions that result in blowback.

Interesting how we can view things differently. Many of mccains answers were short and to the point. I view that as being delivered honestly. Obama seemed to try harder to convince us which is a trait I tend to associate with someone who is lying. Obama also at times has the appearance of a nervous twitch about him which I'm not comfortable with. Reminds of a junky or con man.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"McCains answer to the "evil in the world" question had me almost cheering. Obama kinda whimped out rattling on about abusive parents or something.

Over - I actually let out a "HOORAY" when he said that and my dog barked at me because she didn't know what I was yelling about.:happy2:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
The homerun was for Pastor Warren and the Saddleback church. Since all the hoopla of the book, The Purpose Driven Life, has died down, Warren and Saddleback have not been an item in the public eye. This debate pulled Warren and the church back into the center ring of the 3 ring circus that is American electoral politics and thus amped up the PR machine for Warren Inc.

Warren Inc. was able to one up the networks, the political parties and the various political operatives by bringing us what amounts to a type of "soft and gentler" debate even before the conventions themselves. Who sez Jesus doesn't sell in decadent and sinful America!

Warren also managed to get religion back in a kind of center position in American politics as for the last nearly 30 years it was made to appear (via a type Cris Angel illusionism) an exclusive domain of the republican party.

I have little use for Warren, Saddleback or organized religion for that matter but Warren and Saddleback IMHO came out the real winners in this deal. Hats off to a brillant move on their part.

Amen to that!! :laughing2:

I found it much more refreshing than the adversarial debate style.

Even if it was a homerun for Rick Warren and the Saddelback Church I think it was a win for all of us because, IMHO you really got to know the candidates better in this type of forum. :peaceful:

diesel96

Interesting how we can view things differently. Many of mccains answers were short and to the point. I view that as being delivered honestly. Obama seemed to try harder to convince us which is a trait I tend to associate with someone who is lying. Obama also at times has the appearance of a nervous twitch about him which I'm not comfortable with. Reminds of a junky or con man.

Obviously, we view these canidates with a bias opinion, but I stand by my original post. Obama IMO, thinks before he speaks.....thats why you might here a uhm or ah here and there, but he responds to a question or an issue with a complete thought thats in depth (kind of like one of wkmac's long post:smart:). I view one who responds before the question is finished as programed, rehearsed and spontaneous. And we can't afford a knee jerk reactionairy president.

e.g...When McCain brought up his first marriage as one of his faults, he didn't expand and go into an essay-toric explaination, just a mere mention. Meanwhile Obama responds his faults in depth and with convictions. Excluding last night's Townhall meeting at Saddleback, you got to admit, McCain gets tongue tied at rally's and says things completely out of touch in interviews that are un-rehearsed that it makes for great sound bites for anti-McCain pundits to exploit. The problem is it happens alot for McCain lately. Poor lil' bugger, we ain't getting any younger. I think it's time we get him "Life Alert"...a necklace with a help button in case he falls down and can get up :thumbup1:.....

av8torntn

I got the chance to watch most of this show. My impression after the first few minutes was that it would be fun to try and count how many times B. Hussein said uh. There has to have been some sort of record broken.

tieguy

Banned
Obviously, we view these canidates with a bias opinion, but I stand by my original post. Obama IMO, thinks before he speaks.....thats why you might here a uhm or ah here and there, but he responds to a question or an issue with a complete thought thats in depth (kind of like one of wkmac's long post:smart:). I view one who responds before the question is finished as programed, rehearsed and spontaneous. And we can't afford a knee jerk reactionairy president.

knee jerk? Give me a break, I figure they have each answered every question at leat 10,000 times by now. Why would the man have to stutter and stammer this time. Why because he is regurgitating his rehersed answers while McCain answered them straight forward and to the point.

e.g...When McCain brought up his first marriage as one of his faults, he didn't expand and go into an essay-toric explaination, just a mere mention. Meanwhile Obama responds his faults in depth and with convictions. Excluding last night's Townhall meeting at Saddleback, you got to admit, McCain gets tongue tied at rally's and says things completely out of touch in interviews that are un-rehearsed that it makes for great sound bites for anti-McCain pundits to exploit. The problem is it happens alot for McCain lately. Poor lil' bugger, we ain't getting any younger. I think it's time we get him "Life Alert"...a necklace with a help button in case he falls down and can get up :thumbup1:.....

I would admit I have seen that behavior out of both candidates and much more so out of Obama. I would welcome the opportunity to hear both candidates answer questions spontaneously and I think McCain with his vast experience will do much better.