Obama on 60 minutes

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was just wondering if anyone else watched the interview with the Obama family on 60 minutes last night. I did and gained an even deeper appreciation of the man, his wife and family. I do not envy him the mess that he is inheriting but it appears that he is assembling a solid team which will help him hopefully guide us through these difficult times.

tieguy

Banned
I was just wondering if anyone else watched the interview with the Obama family on 60 minutes last night. I did and gained an even deeper appreciation of the man, his wife and family. I do not envy him the mess that he is inheriting but it appears that he is assembling a solid team which will help him hopefully guide us through these difficult times.

After watching sixty minutes kiss his tucas for about 10 minutes I finally thought there had to be something better on TV.

If Bush could have gotten that kind of support from the liberal press oh what a wonderful world it would be............

diesel96

After watching sixty minutes kiss his tucas for about 10 minutes I finally thought there had to be something better on TV.

If Bush could have gotten that kind of support from the liberal press oh what a wonderful world it would be............

Tie, I picture you watching the interview with a Renee Zellweger face(me,myself and Irene-actress).....like you just ate a sour lemon....:wince:

wkmac

From a certain POV I can see where saying that makes sense and seems true but the harsh truth is the idea of a free press was to be the "Guardians at the Gate" as a force to make gov't always prove itself. To ask and make those counterpoints that are unpleasant at time to ask but need asking just the same.

There are societies that have media that act as powder puffs for the ruling elites and Chavez' Venezuela comes to mind. I know Chris Matthews is not a hardnews reporter but is an op-ed guy just as Hannity, O'Reilly and the rest are on the political otherside. However what does concern me is to have Matthews make the following statement on a type of morning news program or it tries to spin itself that way.

Chris Matthews Claims It's His Job To Help Make Obama A Success

I'm not upset with Chris, in fact I welcome his point of honesty and that way I'm better informed for it, but if it keeps going where do we end up? My daughters play in a jazz ensemble with the son of a major area TV news broadcaster and every Sunday afternoon we see each other and have become friends as a result. I've learned a lot talking with him not only about local politics but also the media itself and recently he made an observation that was at the same time funny but troubling as well.

You know, so much has changed over the years in the news business with more and more especially on the national scene selling itself as hard news when it's more and more op-ed. My fear is the downstream effect of where I go and cover a major traffic accident and the station what's me to op-ed as to who's fault it is just for the ratings effect.

As much as I laughed at the time I began to feel sadness and regret as I looked at my kids wondering, "OMG, what have we done!"

Hope you enjoyed Chris' wetleg moment!
:wink2:

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I seriously doubt that we ever get the whole story on the news. I don't need the news to tell me that Obama has inherited a hell hole and he's in for a long 4 years. I didn't vote for Obama, I did vote for McCain (grudgingly) either candidate would have been in a world of hurt. It's gotta be a horrid experience for a family to be in the national spotlight every fricken day of their lives. They will most definitely have a perspective on life that few in our country will understand or see.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's gotta be a horrid experience for a family to be in the national spotlight every fricken day of their lives. They will most definitely have a perspective on life that few in our country will understand or see.
... or want to be in.

Never understood why anybody wanted that job!

tieguy

Banned
From a certain POV I can see where saying that makes sense and seems true but the harsh truth is the idea of a free press was to be the "Guardians at the Gate" as a force to make gov't always prove itself. To ask and make those counterpoints that are unpleasant at time to ask but need asking just the same.

There are societies that have media that act as powder puffs for the ruling elites and Chavez' Venezuela comes to mind. I know Chris Matthews is not a hardnews reporter but is an op-ed guy just as Hannity, O'Reilly and the rest are on the political otherside. However what does concern me is to have Matthews make the following statement on a type of morning news program or it tries to spin itself that way.

YouTube - Chris Matthews Claims It's His Job To Help Make Obama A Success

I'm not upset with Chris, in fact I welcome his point of honesty and that way I'm better informed for it, but if it keeps going where do we end up? My daughters play in a jazz ensemble with the son of a major area TV news broadcaster and every Sunday afternoon we see each other and have become friends as a result. I've learned a lot talking with him not only about local politics but also the media itself and recently he made an observation that was at the same time funny but troubling as well.

As much as I laughed at the time I began to feel sadness and regret as I looked at my kids wondering, "OMG, what have we done!"

Hope you enjoyed Chris' wetleg moment!
:wink2:

chris's wetleg moment may be the high point of the election. There are some issues here. Watchdog I don't mind.

Oprah and her billions started by giving Obama support and credibility. The press blatantly fawned over him. If they had acted as watchdogs with Obama and they were balanced then thats fine. We do rely on the press to perform the act of scrutiny that helps us decide whether a candidate is qualified. Obama never got that scrutiny to the degree others have gotten it. With Obamas quick rise to power there is the chance that he may still have a few skeletons in the closet.

Hopefully for his sake and ours he is as squeaky clean as we have been led to believe.

over9five

Staff member
Hopefully for his sake and ours he is as squeaky clean as we have been led to believe.

Who cares about Obama? The Liberal press is still after Sarah Palin!!!! (Do they know the race is over and they can stop smearing her now?) What a farce!