Obamacare,Cadillac plan,2018..

TUT

Save yourself the time and effort----ours is not a Cadillac plan.

Right, but I want to understand why. You have a much better plan than I do and I've been told we will be affected by the planned tax. How do I know you have a better plan? Well you tell me if mine is better than yours:

Mine:
$150 monthly premium.
$1000 deductible per person ($2000 Family)
After deductible insurance pays 80% and me 20%.
$10 Prescription
$25 Dr. Visit

I believe yours is:
$0
$0
$0
$5?
$0?

So if mine qualifies for the Cadillac and yours doesn't, then I would like to know the reasons for that with a little detail. Nothing more than that, for my personal knowledge.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Right, but I want to understand why. You have a much better plan than I do and I've been told we will be affected by the planned tax. How do I know you have a better plan? Well you tell me if mine is better than yours:

Mine:
$150 monthly premium.
$1000 deductible per person ($2000 Family)
After deductible insurance pays 80% and me 20%.
$10 Prescription
$25 Dr. Visit

I believe yours is:
$0
$0
$0
$5?
$0?

So if mine qualifies for the Cadillac and yours doesn't, then I would like to know the reasons for that with a little detail. Nothing more than that, for my personal knowledge.
Who is telling you that you have a Cadillac plan? Based on your premiums it's not even close.

TUT

Who is telling you that you have a Cadillac plan? Based on your premiums it's not even close.

The owners of the company. I'm not putting it by them to be flat out liars to give themselves extra $'s, that is why I need to look into this more to understand. Thanks. I also believe this is somewhat common countrywide from speaking to others and listening to general news talk. My premiums are average to slightly above. Yours is Senator quality.

If you don't qualify and there isn't a Union exception, then next to no one would qualify as a Cadillac. Then all the news and fear is totally over-blown about this tax, which I'm not past believing they are just selling fear of The Affordable Health Care Plan no matter if it is accurate or not. Like this thread.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The owners of the company. I'm not putting it by them to be flat out liars to give themselves extra $'s, that is why I need to look into this more to understand. Thanks. I also believe this is somewhat common countrywide from speaking to others and listening to general news talk. My premiums are average to slightly above. Yours is Senator quality.

If you don't qualify and there isn't a Union exception, then next to no one would qualify as a Cadillac. Then all the news and fear is totally over-blown about this tax, which I'm not past believing they are just selling fear of The Affordable Health Care Plan no matter if it is accurate or not. Like this thread.
Google Cadillac plans. Single and family plans have different thresholds.

TUT

Right. I have, it's not very clear how it is calculated, some state call your HR dept and ask as the only real way to know, because it's base off what you and they pay and you don't know what "they" pay.

But here's an article, there are so many on all sides, it adds great confusion. But they list plans like I have as being already affected (I know mine has they said they are already making adjustments to make sure we are under threshold) and yours is way better than mine ever was. So someone is wrong somewhere. It's getting a true answer in which I'm seeking now.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cadillac-health-plans-taxed-by-obamacare-2013-8

"Already, companies are increasing the share of costs shouldered by employees by raising deductibles on the plans that they offer. From 2008-2011, the average employee’s deductible increased 17 percent from 2008-2011, but last year alone the deductible went up 13 percent."

This has happened to me. Mine have gone up because "it was too good", you don't even have one, that is the best. Your's sound very close to what they call CEO plans, which are valued at 40K, zero on almost everything.

“Employers can’t wait until 2018 and make one huge change to their plans,” says Tracy Watts, a senior partner with Mercer. “They’re already starting making changes now, so that in 2018 it won’t be as hard for employees.”

That is exactly what they told me to. However I never liked that logic, we'll stick you with fees today that you don't have to have, so in 2018 it wont feel as bad. However it sounds to me like I could be pocketing more today and just pay what is needed when 2018 kicks in, if it ever kicks in. Half the country is trying to abolish it before 2018 ever happens. I've also mentioned that concern as well. We are paying more today for no legal reason and it may never even happen. So lets say the law is repealed. You know they aren't gonna give us back better premiums.
"Many people would be surprised to learn that their current plan would be considered a “Cadillac” plan under Obamacare rules.

“Most of us pay high premiums, and don’t feel like we have a high-cost policy,” says Cynthia Weidner, vice president of health and welfare and consulting at HighRoads. “Everyone thinks, ‘I don’t have a Cadillac plan, my coverage stinks.’”"

You don't think your plan stinks, so others that have much more premiums think their's does but will qualify for the Caddy. See the disconnect?

Don't confuse me with me telling you black and white yours or mine is one way or the other. But just a little quest to see if we can find clear truth in the matter. I'm not sure anyone here is qualified to say for certain their plan is one way or the other. Well unless you can provide a LINK that makes it clear, which I'm all open for.

TUT

From another article:

http://www.healthaffairs.org/healthpolicybriefs/brief.php?brief_id=99

"Although the excise tax will not take effect for more than four years, many employers are indeed scaling back coverage to avoid the tax. Others are considering passing the cost on to employees in the form of both higher premiums and more cost sharing, requiring higher deductibles and copays to keep the health plan costs as they are."

UPS is pretty much at zero across the board and are planning to keep it that way. This talks about raising these premiums on top of plans that already have them to keep it under the tax.

TUT

The part that you haven't pointed me to an article, that is the only part.

Here are two more about Unions and the Tax:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/unions-vs-obamacare_707688.html

http://theweek.com/article/index/256253/how-obamacare-might-undermine-labor-unions

"union workers were a powerful Democratic constituency granted specific exemptions from Obama-care. Labor leaders are just now realizing that those protections are fleeting, and Obama-care regulations and cost increases will fall on the politically connected and unconnected alike."

What I am reading is a few unions in high risk jobs (Police-Fire) will be exempt. But that is about it and it is reading that these Union plans dub'd "Gold Plated" are is absolutely Caddilac plans.

So if you are a good open minded chap willing to help straighten another chap out, muchas gracious. Don't just say "What part of..." and no backing that I can see, this doesn't help anyone. I do appolgize in advance if I have missed the links, but if you would so kindly relink me to those, I would greatly appreciate it. I ask because I want to take this to my bosses, if UPS with Zero's across the board doesn't qualify, why are you selling fear to us with much lesser plans?

I'm the one trying to do due diligence here. Someone said Google it, I have, I don't find anything at all that clears UPS's Union plan as a non-cadillac plan yet. Nor have I found anything that really makes it even semi-clear on how to calculate a plan to see if it falls in our out of it. Pretty gray.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our plan is below the threshold and increases in the value of our plan over the years will remain below the threshold, which will also increase over the years. Even if the value were to exceed the threshold, we would only pay tax on that amount and not on the total value of the plan.

None of this takes effect until 2018 (which may be pushed back) so at best I will have one year to worry about it.