Observed?

HULKAMANIA

Can someone please tell me what exactly management does when you are observed? When I say observed I don't mean in person. I mean when you come in and seen your report for the previous day and see that you have an O next to your name indicating you were observed. I am curious what is done when they do this?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It means you had an observation, virtually. And if no one could find any thing you did wrong, virtually no one will mention it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They would have measured your time at stops, based on pkgs cods, etc, Your speed or lack of. Basically if you were under an hour, you wont here a peep. If you had bulk, misloads, etc, they would nit pick you to death. I never heard a word about my last one..............

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Our center had a 'virtual time study' done in January and I went from being .25 over/.25 under daily to at least an hour over everyday<shrug> I have had several Virtual Observations and nothing has been said.
I was told I was getting a 3 day 'lock in' earlier this year but after the first day of running 150 over and as the On Road couldnt account for the lost time they decided an hour over on my own wasnt quite so bad,and the supe decided there were 'other priorities ' that needed the Company's attention and didnt get back on the truck with me for the other 2 days

Can someone please tell me what exactly management does when you are observed? When I say observed I don't mean in person. I mean when you come in and seen your report for the previous day and see that you have an O next to your name indicating you were observed. I am curious what is done when they do this?
It's a metric that justifies their job. It proves that your boss did something that day other than a two hour lunch and sitting around jive talking with the other members of the management team.

It's a metric that justifies their job. It proves that your boss did something that day other than a two hour lunch and sitting around jive talking with the other members of the management team.
Come on be fair, You forgot about those important safety messages they send you . Not to mention all the grievances they have to read!

FilingBluesFL

Come on be fair, You forgot about those important safety messages they send you . Not to mention all the grievances they have to read!

I've got the equivilant of a Stephen King novel going through this year ;)

A supervisor did a "Safety ride" with me the other day, first thing he mentioned was "Hey, so are you going to write us a letter saying you don't want to be on the 9.5 list anymore? Because that would be swell."

Had a 9.5 written out monday, "Hey, here's that letter you asked for!" Bazinga

I've got the equivilant of a Stephen King novel going through this year ;)

A supervisor did a "Safety ride" with me the other day, first thing he mentioned was "Hey, so are you going to write us a letter saying you don't want to be on the 9.5 list anymore? Because that would be swell."

Had a 9.5 written out monday, "Hey, here's that letter you asked for!" Bazinga
You should of handed him an 8 hour request!! Is this what you meant boss????....lol

FilingBluesFL

Honestly, come to think of it, I've never once put in an 8 hour request. Crazy.

Probly because I know they just won't bother to honor it and ruin my plans for that night lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Omg the safety messages just piss me off. I'm trying to get home before it gets dark I don't need anymore delays.

Brownslave688

Probly because I know they just won't bother to honor it and ruin my plans for that night lol

I know it depends on where u are but here an 8.0 is an 8.0. Bring back 100 stops if need be.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

You DO know if they fail to honour it you can file for 2 hours penalty pay,right?? I ALWAYS put mine in for Wednesdays which is our heaviest day and I know they cant hounor the request,and the two hour penalty pay is a nice little bonus

Cementups

Box Monkey

We get two a month and I put in for them no matter what. One is for my monthly chiropractor appointment and the other is for whatever I want it for. The last time I had one, they had me planned for it and then forced me to run the three o/a's I had. So I worked as instructed, punched out 8 hours, 45 minutes. Came in the next morning and filed a grievance for them not granting my 8 hour request. Free money FTW!!!!!!

Brownslave688

You DO know if they fail to honour it you can file for 2 hours penalty pay,right?? I ALWAYS put mine in for Wednesdays which is our heaviest day and I know they cant hounor the request,and the two hour penalty pay is a nice little bonus

That depends on where u are. Here we can't file for 2 hours penalty but we can bring back the truck at 8 hours and tell them what's left and goodbye.