October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

klein

Für Meno :)
Breast Cancer Awareness Month (BCAM) (also referred to locally as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM)) is an annual international health campaign organized by major http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast_cancer charities every October to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause, prevention and cure. The campaign also offers information and support to those affected by breast cancer.
As well as providing a platform for breast cancer charities to raise awareness of their work and of the disease, BCAM is also a prime opportunity to remind women to be breast aware for earlier detection.

Well, doing my share. They ask for donations at places I shop, and I give my 2 bucks each time (twice now already this month).

On the other hand we have this commercial on TV, that raised a bit trouble. But, it was produced by a woman, made for women.

USA Today even had an article about it :

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/09/watch-below-or-click-here-1.html?csp=34

(guys, you may wanna fullsize the clip).

this is behind the scenes:

Big Babooba

It’s easy for me to be a wise ass. Being serious is difficult. This is one of the hardest things I’ve had to compose.

This past July, my neighbor Denise died from breast cancer. She fought it for 10 years. She went through 22 different chemo and radiation treatment regimens. Though it all I saw her going through cycles of bloating up to wasting away – back to bloating up again. I don’t know how many times she lost her hair. (Her husband told me that it could be very demoralizing to a woman – I don’t know because I never traveled that road.)

She was very active despite her illness. She volunteered for different cancer activities, She was the Survivor Recruiter and Chairperson for the American Cancer Society Relay For Life. She fought the disease and we thought that she had it licked.

Last summer she told me that it was back. More treatments, but the disease was winning. Her husband told me that he was watching her die. There wasn’t anything more that could be done. Toward the end she was in and out of the hospital. Then she came home to die.

She had friends and relatives coming to say goodbye – even the mailman. I wasn’t one of them. I wasn’t brave enough. I wish I did, but I knew I couldn’t.

She didn’t give in to the disease. She fought. Denise made that bastard cancer come and take her. She fought a good fight. I learned a lot from her. I miss her.

I feel that this video is totally inappropriate – it cheapens the cause. Your comment,“(guys, you may wanna fullsize the clip)” gives me the feeling that you cared more for the T&A than the message.

Maybe I missed the meaning of your post but my feelings are dead on target.
I’ve said my peace.

dillweed

Thank you, Klein, for the reminder (I'm due for a mammogram) and for your efforts to help fight the stinking disease.

Babooba, wow - I'm sorry for the loss of your wonderful neighbor. It sounds as if she was one strong lady to fight as long as she did. Your post, difficult as it was, is another strong reminder to get such a simple test to detect early and have a better chance of winning.

I totally respect both of you for your thoughtfulness.

I trust that there will be no 8th grade attempt at humor brought into this thread.

klein

Well, my grandmother, and my dad past away from cancer. Just like you, I wasn't brave enough to say good-bye to my granny. When I heard she was only stick and bones, and even morphine wouldn't help he rease her pain. I just couldn't go visit her anymore.

As far as the commercial goes. Yes, it's contraversal. But, iot sure makes people (and men) pay much more attention to it.

Safeway (my regular grocery store), does ask customers all month long, (at the cashier), to give $2.00 to Breastcancer.
How could I even say no to that ?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Big, all I can say is what Dillweed said. WOW You brought tears to my eyes and I suspect they were there when you wrote this. I am sorry, I didn't not realise the depth of your feelings on this subject and the video itself. I totally missed it. I am soooo sorry.

klein

Ok, I watched the vid (behind the scenes, again). I guess my remark with fullsizing it, wasn't great.

But, one thing that video does do, it speaks out to the younger generation, and they are not as aware or giving as the more mature ones.

Our city raised 1.3 Million yesterday, just at the run for cure.
Many more millions will pour in, when the month is over (from the gocery chains, and other stores).

Nanotechnoligy seems to be on the forefront with it being the cure.
I posted a medical break through about it, somewhere else on a thread.

In the near future, checking for cancer, will be just as easy as doing a pregnancy test (at home).

But, not only that, with nanotechnoligy, they might be able to just focus on the cancer cells, and just destroy them, and nothing else in your body.
With a simple injection.

klein

Tue Oct 6, 6:50 AM

Cancer Discovery
Experts make 'most important' find

LONDON (AFP) - British scientists have identified a faulty gene linked to over half of all breast cancer cases, in what they claim is a major breakthrough in fighting the killer disease.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
2009BreastCancerAwarenessFootball.jpg

klein

41s8W3IF0iL._AA250_.jpg

Not sure if our hockey team will play in pink again (for BreastCancer), like they did last year. We shall see.

OILERS USE POWER OF PINK TO FIGHT BREAST CANCER

Thursday, 25.10.2007 / 4:00 PM / News (couldn't find this years)
By Edmonton Oilers Press Release
On Tuesday, October 30th, the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation and the Oilers Ladies will once again sell autographed Oilers ballcaps for $20 to raise funds for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. A total of 10,000 autographed hats will go on-sale at Rexall Place prior to the Oilers game against the Detroit Red Wings.

Channahon

The NFL is the first organization that I can remember that is bringing awareness to the month of October for Breast Cancer. All too often we hear stories if only a mamogram was done earlier, a life could have been saved.

And hopefully, all the sports fans, men and women will support their loved ones, (mother, sisters, wives,) to get a mamogram once a year. There has been so many advancements with technology, and digital mamograms now give the radiologist 5 views of a woman's breast, rather than reading films, as in the past.

I have always supported Strides for Breast Cancer, in coordinating walks and setting donation goals. And I'm proud to say, the UPS team I recruited never fell short of our goal.

So thanks to the NFL and all Brown Cafe members for their support.

The NFL is the first organization that I can remember that is bringing awareness to the month of October for Breast Cancer. All too often we hear stories if only a mamogram was done earlier, a life could have been saved.

And hopefully, all the sports fans, men and women will support their loved ones, (mother, sisters, wives,) to get a mamogram once a year. There has been so many advancements with technology, and digital mamograms now give the radiologist 5 views of a woman's breast, rather than reading films, as in the past.

I have always supported Strides for Breast Cancer, in coordinating walks and setting donation goals. And I'm proud to say, the UPS team I recruited never fell short of our goal.

So thanks to the NFL and all Brown Cafe members for their support.

Nascar has had cars sponsored by various companies recognize the month with special paint jobs as well for quite a few years now. Dale Jarret when he ran for UPS was one of them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)