Oddly slow

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
All the items I've ordered this year have come on other carriers and not UPS. Amazon has used FDX Ground and Lasership. Overstock.com is using FDX Home. I'm going out on a limb here but feel UPS is going to fall short of peak expectation.

You know, that would explain why the driver and I are seeing all of these FedEx vehicles all over the place. We were coming into a business and we saw three FedEx vehicles in that one little area. One van and two package cars. We've been seeing them all over the route the past two weeks.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
You know, that would explain why the driver and I are seeing all of these FedEx vehicles all over the place. We were coming into a business and we saw three FedEx vehicles in that one little area. One van and two package cars. We've been seeing them all over the route the past two weeks.

I've always told myself, "Takes three of them to do what I do." *flex*

TheFigurehead

I think with all the bad press last year, companies are sending more volume to other shippers as opposed to UPS. I have never seen so many FedEx trucks around in my life.

Now, UPS is a sick joke of a place to work, but, in as far as delivering packages, UPS is, hands down, the best of the best.

Here's where it's going to screw us:

We'll have a lighter than normal peak, we'll get good press, and everything will run smoothly on our end. FedEx is going to be FedEx, and most of those local shippers are a joke. After Amazon, and the like, get enough complaints about those places, they'll revert that volume back to UPS for next peak. The company, being the greedy publicly traded bastards that they are, will see this peak's numbers as an excuse to save money by being less prepared next year. We will not be ready.

That's my prediction, anyway. We'll spend the rest of this peak waiting for the flood that never comes… Peak 2015 will be the worst in UPS history. Mark my words.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Peak 2015 will be the worst in UPS history. Mark my words.

I have this nagging feeling that 2015 and 2016 are going to be bad years in general. Quite a few companies are annoucing layoffs next year. Some have already done so this year. Recessions tend to hit every 7 years. It's been just about 7 years since 2008. I'm just hoping there will be enough volume for the need for helpers next year.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Enjoy the easy days while they last. UPS is hemorrhaging cash right now on xmas drivers and rentals because they're scared of the PR from another bad peak, but once jan 1st rolls around and they feel like the spotlight isn't on them anymore they're gonna tighten the screws hard to try and recoup profits.

oldngray

nowhere special
Enjoy the easy days while they last. UPS is hemorrhaging cash right now on xmas drivers and rentals because they're scared of the PR from another bad peak, but once jan 1st rolls around and they feel like the spotlight isn't on them anymore they're gonna tighten the screws hard to try and recoup profits.

Historically UPS lost money at peak but did what was necessary to make service on packages. That went away when the bean counters took over and that created the recipe for the recent disasters.

AKCoverMan

Historically UPS lost money at peak but did what was necessary to make service on packages. That went away when the bean counters took over and that created the recipe for the recent disasters.
Fourth quarter 2013 we earned a profit of $1.17 billion on just under $15 billion in revenue.

I predict revenue will be higher this year but profit will be flat because we are spending more on this peak in response to last years "black eye". To Wall Street flat profits on higher revenue says the sky is falling but in reality we will still be a extremely successful and profitable business.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1418512961.075384.jpg

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Last Thursday we set the all time volume for our building. That next Monday we beat(badly) that record yet again. Far from light volume and every driver worked thirteen hrs on a Monday.

It is a good thing that we were prepared with the extra drivers. Though most are doing just little things like delivering bulk, business runs and post offices it still is enough to free up the regular drivers to deliver the residential. We all had jumpers. Every little bit helps

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have this nagging feeling that 2015 and 2016 are going to be bad years in general. Quite a few companies are annoucing layoffs next year. Some have already done so this year. Recessions tend to hit every 7 years. It's been just about 7 years since 2008. I'm just hoping there will be enough volume for the need for helpers next year.
I'm thinking we're good for 2 more years.

upschuck

I believe the slowness is based on the USPS slashing their prices in Sept for the biggest shippers. I've ordered stuff from Amazon, probably 10 shipments total, and only 1 is coming UPS, and the rest USPS.

sportsjock

It has seem a lot lighter then last year. Not as much chaos as last year. I've been clocking out by 7:45 every night except the nights I go help out. One reason for our center we are running all routes and even E and I routes with budget rentals. We have more drivers then last year. They've been hiring drivers since before peak last year. Plus our sups are saying we can't go over 12.5. So they make sure you don't.

Friday they sent me help around 5PM and I didn't even ask for help. I had less the 50 stops lefts with my helper.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
We've been busier than hell...But we also have an assload of extra drivers and rentals for bulk stops and pre-liming pickups. On the other end of it I haven't clocked out before 10 yet. Usually it's around 8:30.

PT Car Washer

Driver sups for the most part have been hanging out around the building playing with their phones until lunch time. I actually have had to work the car wash to get 5 hours a lot of days. Cruise around chasing misloads in a U Haul.