Off area Lunch

rebel

Depends on who you are at my place. Favortism is alive and well. If your a brown man you can do whatever, because we have a brown sup.

browniehound

Not true, you cannot operate the vehicle while on lunch.

That simply is not true. What if you need to go somewhere to buy your lunch? If you can't drive the truck somewhere close and you didn't pack a lunch, does UPS expect you to work on an empty stomach? I think not.

Where I'm from the lunch rules are pretty laid back. If you need to drive to get lunch it starts when you leave area. I have even got permission to go a few miles off area to run an errand from time to time:thumbup1:

Cementups

Box Monkey
They used to be pretty strict about it in our center but that center manager left and no one seems to bother about it. As long as people don't abuse it then they don't say anything to us. Plus they know where most of us meet up for lunch and know they can find us if they need us.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
We are allowed to drive to get to a lunch spot. But like mentioned, lunch starts the moment you break route. We're allowed, and usually encouraged to ask. Some of the drivers have to break almost 2-3 miles to make it to somewhere to eat (we're a remote center).

DS

Fenderbender
Where I am and other big cities,we are not allowed to leave the area,unless you get permission

SmithBarney

That simply is not true. What if you need to go somewhere to buy your lunch? If you can't drive the truck somewhere close and you didn't pack a lunch, does UPS expect you to work on an empty stomach? I think not.

Where I'm from the lunch rules are pretty laid back. If you need to drive to get lunch it starts when you leave area. I have even got permission to go a few miles off area to run an errand from time to time:thumbup1:

No what I was saying is you cannot be on break while driving the vehicle..
you can drive to your break location and then go on break..

DOT, and company policy... go ahead get in an accident while you are punched in the DIAD on lunch... see what happens..

NHDRVR

1 mile. Thats the standard in NH. But, as always, it comes down to the suits in your center and the rules they make up for the day.

brownman15

DOT, and company policy... go ahead get in an accident while you are punched in the DIAD on lunch... see what happens..

you will be fired have a problem in our center with guys leaving building before they are on the clock if the preload is done they know they can get fired if they get in accident but do it anyway. same thing if you get hurt loading your truck before start time have a hard time getting workmans comp if you are not on the clock

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
you will be fired have a problem in our center with guys leaving building before they are on the clock if the preload is done they know they can get fired if they get in accident but do it anyway. same thing if you get hurt loading your truck before start time have a hard time getting workmans comp if you are not on the clock

You have drivers leaving the building without clocking in? If the Preload goes down early, all you have to do is change your start time in the DIAD. I can't believe your Center management allows drivers to start a vehicle without clocking in first. I can see someone looking at their air or first couple of stops before start time, but driving for free is ridiculous. What are they thinking? I'm sure the union will try real hard to get their job back if they lose it for such stupidity.

brownman15

You have drivers leaving the building without clocking in? If the Preload goes down early, all you have to do is change your start time in the DIAD. I can't believe your Center management allows drivers to start a vehicle without clocking in first. I can see someone looking at their air or first couple of stops before start time, but driving for free is ridiculous. What are they thinking? I'm sure the union will try real hard to get their job back if they lose it for such stupidity.

no one can change your start time unless you have a safety meeting or training and management does not care as long as they don.t leave pkgs on the dock they look the other way besides it looks good on paper as far as the drivers they are idiots they just want to be first one back to building and suck up to management

Browned out2

In my building they would fire you for going a mile off area even if you lived that close. 1 mile would be grounds for termination for running up miles.

brownman15

nobody can change start time unless you have a scheduled meeting(safety or training) management looks the other way as long as you don't leave pkgs on the dock since it will make their numbers look better

browniehound

Fredly, so under your scenario when it is time for your lunch you must stop the vehicle where ever you are and stay there for 1 hour. It could be on a state 2 lane- highway, but since you "cannot drive the truck on break periods" you must pull over for 1 hour and eat nothing because you forgot your lunch that day? Is that what you are saying?

Man, you guys out there must have really pissed your management team off big-time:confused:1