Off the street FT Driver position

Scuderia1

Hello Happy New Year just an update from my previous post. I have a friend who is a full-time sup he advised me to tell him when I was 100% ready and committed only then proceed further. Finally gave him the green light yesterday and he told me the details for the interview. I think I am extremely lucky if everything goes through. I assume my case is a very rare case, but generally how do they hire people off the street?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hello Happy New Year just an update from my previous post. I have a friend who is a full-time sup he advised me to tell him when I was 100% ready and committed only then proceed further. Finally gave him the green light yesterday and he told me the details for the interview. I think I am extremely lucky if everything goes through. I assume my case is a very rare case, but generally how do they hire people off the street?

What center?

scisector9

To OP,

I was hired off the street this July. My process was as follows:

1. I had two interviews. One with a lower raking HR person, second with the head of HR. I wore a suit and tie to both interviews, I think they appreciated that. Like you I knew some people at my building through some prior commercial driving experience. It always helps.

2. After interviews I had the DOT physical and driving test. These were on the same day, and I passed both.

3. After passing I went to driving school locally in my region. Not intergrad, but a watered down version in my region. Passed driving school (two in my class did not, couldn't get the DOK (depth of knowledge) stuff down, left mid week.

4. Came back to drive two weeks later. In my case I started July 16th 2013, got my 30 days in September 2nd 2013. Have had guys come after me who took a lot longer to get their 30 working days in. You have to get 30 working days in 90 days at my center. No problem for me, but I am assuming this is because it was summer and they needed the vacation coverage.

5. As a note (I'm sure you are well aware), you run the same training route while going for your seniority date. I had to make scratch or better 5 days consecutively (or so I was told). A lot of running and using breaks to sort and line up stops. It gets easier as your knowledge of the area grows, and you get into a routine. As a cover driver now it is hard to get into a routine as you jump routes so much. Some days I don't know what route I am running until 5 minutes before I leave the building, often times to run a route I have seen only once or twice. Lucky old timers like their days off when routes get cut.

I do consider myself lucky to be the one out of seven from the street. UPS is a great company that offers greater pay and benefits then anything else my education and job experience would provide for me. That being said; it is also the hardest job I have ever worked. The mental stress for me personally is almost worse than the physical. I think it will get easier with time as I know more routes, and eventually get my own route.

Hope that helps. Best a luck.

Cheers

Scuderia1

Thanks everybody for your responses. Hey Sci thanks for your detailed explanation. So when it comes to the interview I should wear a suit? Or dress casual for the interview. I understand that I cheated the system and skipped the pt for so many # of years hopefully I don't piss ppl off. Also what will be the starting pay for a full time driver and how often do you get a raise?

scisector9

Thanks everybody for your responses. Hey Sci thanks for your detailed explanation. So when it comes to the interview I should wear a suit? Or dress casual for the interview. I understand that I cheated the system and skipped the pt for so many # of years hopefully I don't piss ppl off. Also what will be the starting pay for a full time driver and how often do you get a raise?

I wore a suit, but not sure it was necessary.

As far as pay, I started at 16.10, now I am at 17.25 (after you make your seniority you get the raise) The national agreement raised starting wage to 18.75 from my understanding, but I am in local 710 that is negotiated separate from the national, so I can only guess what it will be for you or me for that matter.

As of now, raises are annually on your seniority date (besides the raise when you make book), four years until top scale with new language. Again, may depend on your local. I am not for sure how pay scale will pan out for you.

Keep us posted.

Cheers

Scuderia1

Thanks man appreciate your response for sure I will. How long have you been a driver and at ups? What time do you generally start and get home? Thanks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I understand that I cheated the system and skipped the pt for so many # of years hopefully I don't piss ppl off.

You didn't cheat anything----the contract provides for an outside hire. As for pissing people off, who the hell cares?

A suit and tie would be over the top---khakis and a polo shirt should suffice.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I don't care if you are of the street or part time as long as you do the job right and take care of my customers when covering my route.

Z

ZQXC

Thanks man appreciate your response for sure I will. How long have you been a driver and at ups? What time do you generally start and get home? Thanks.

You never know what time you will get home; chisel that in stone. Don't make plans, unless they fall 14 hours after your start time. You may be too tired to care at that point, however.

Z

ZQXC

You didn't cheat anything----the contract provides for an outside hire. As for pissing people off, who the hell cares?

A suit and tie would be over the top---khakis and a polo shirt should suffice.

No need for gratuitous profanity. If you can't express your thoughts without profanity, you should reevaluate your communication skills.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Off the street full time? Or just a cover driver? If your just a cover - there are kids in elementary school who will have a full time job before you. Thanks to the union selling out for 7 to 1 ratio. Took me 10 yrs for full time. If you are full time --buy a lottery ticket ------now!