Off Topic: Proud Rust Hole Repair

MassWineGuy

I love my 2003 VW TDI wagon. The engine’s straightforward to work on (not by me), it has lots of room and it gets 46 to 50 miles per gallon. The rocker panel behind the passenger front side lost a reasonably sized chunk of metal to rust, leaving a hole about 5x5 inches. Definitely wouldn’t pass inspection due by end of this month

YouTube is an amazing resource. It’s there I learned about short strand fiberglass body filler and ways to apply it. So the hole is now covered. I want to fill any low spots, put a layer of regular Bondo on and paint it, but it will certainly pass inspection. I’m not saying that it’s difficult to do body work. It’s just difficult to do it well.

Does anyone know NASA’s address? I’m ready for the Mars mission.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I love my 2003 VW TDI wagon. The engine’s straightforward to work on (not by me), it has lots of room and it gets 46 to 50 miles per gallon. The rocker panel behind the passenger front side lost a reasonably sized chunk of metal to rust, leaving a hole about 5x5 inches. Definitely wouldn’t pass inspection due by end of this month

YouTube is an amazing resource. It’s there I learned about short strand fiberglass body filler and ways to apply it. So the hole is now covered. I want to fill any low spots, put a layer of regular Bondo on and paint it, but it will certainly pass inspection. I’m not saying that it’s difficult to do body work. It’s just difficult to do it well.

Does anyone know NASA’s address? I’m ready for the Mars mission.

It's a great feeling to try something new and be successful. Well done. May I ask, what do you mean by "pass inspection"? We have the DEQ in my state requiring an emissions test before you can renew your tags. Does your motor vehicle dept require a visual inspection of the vehicle to renew registration?

MassWineGuy

Does your motor vehicle dept require a visual inspection of the vehicle to renew registration?

An understatement. My state is among the strictest states for inspecting vehicles. It recently installed cameras at all inspection stations to catch anyone just letting someone pass. Diesel cars don’t get an emissions test. But any holes or rust out areas will fail you.

Of course, many of the Sprinters I drive have R stickers from being rejected.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
An understatement. My state is among the strictest states for inspecting vehicles. It recently installed cameras at all inspection stations to catch anyone just letting someone pass. Diesel cars don’t get an emissions test. But any holes or rust out areas will fail you.

Of course, many of the Sprinters I drive have R stickers from being rejected.
I moved to Florida and holy crap, I see so many vehicles on the road that are unsafe and would have never passed inspection in my old state.