Offer letter questions

Molly1990

I applied for a Material Handler job in jcats and was given an offer letter saying I would get paid 14.23/hr
Does anyone knows if that is a decent/average starting pay for a material handler?
The job change calculator paper I was given shows the range min to max for a material handler is 14.09 - 20.02/hr
and 12.60 - 18.23 for a handler. Whats the average rate of pay for a material handler and also can you negotiate within that range on an offer letter?

Also,

The offer letter says "You will be ineligible to bid on positions outside the department/station for a period of 12 months unless the position is posted with and waiver and approved by your manager".
Would I still be able to bid on positions within the station within that 12 month period?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
An hourly can not negotiate pay at Express. The average pay varies from district to district. You would have to check the mysterious codes to figure out what the pay is per district. You will be eligible to bid on a position IN location after 6 months. I'm surprised your offer does not state that.

Maui

If this is the position in San Diego I am guessing it is at SANR. This is a ramp location and you would be moving to AGFS which is the Air network. A 12 month restriction is the minimum at location allowable. You can bid on positions at SANR.

Salary negotiation is the job change calculator you were given. It is non-negotiable. You are moving to an H market level and the top of the pay range is something you will not see in the next 20 years. Higher paying positions at the ramp are RTD, which typically goes to very high seniority individuals with a class A. Ramp agents-Trunk can make good money depending on the location because their hours (at least in the past) are not restricted as much since it is not a DOT position.

Hate 150lb Packages

Come to Ground. Less pay, no benefits. But so much freedom! No one bugs me. And everyone's expectations are already so low. If you screw up, it's not a big deal. Just keep the tires healthy.

DRAisawesome

That's what people "love" about non-union companies. Why would one need a third party to negotiate the wages. I asked for a raise
"we can't do that, you know that" So who represents "us" the hourlies? Managers are just puppets and contribute to the problem. Never once have had a manager stick up for me or my co-workers.

sjh

Molly, nevermind these guys. As a girl who has done package handling, unloading trucks, smalls, jacking up trailers and driving routes, I don't think FedEx is as god-awful as they make it out to be. And if you're going to be doing it, SD is probably the best place to be. Cost of living is high, but our weather is practically perfect. ;)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Molly, nevermind these guys. As a girl who has done package handling, unloading trucks, smalls, jacking up trailers and driving routes, I don't think FedEx is as god-awful as they make it out to be. And if you're going to be doing it, SD is probably the best place to be. Cost of living is high, but our weather is practically perfect. ;)

As a girl also, who has done the same things, it's not the work that's bad. That's the easy and fun part. It's all the BS from FedEx that sucks!

hypo hanna

As a girl also, who has done the same things, it's not the work that's bad. That's the easy and fun part. It's all the BS from FedEx that sucks!

+1
the work itself can be lots of fun or at least it used to be. Intense, rewarding and challenging. The problem is the rewarding part has been taken out of the equation and replaced by constant abuse and demands for even greater productivity. Without any rewards, its just exploitation of the hourlies by FedEx to feed the never satisfied greed of Wall Street.

sjh

Touche...touche. However, and I know its not a common occurrence, but we've also been treated pretty well by FedEx (under previous management, I should add) so I have to defend some of their actions.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Touche...touche. However, and I know its not a common occurrence, but we've also been treated pretty well by FedEx (under previous management, I should add) so I have to defend some of their actions.

It's been a long time since we were treated well by FedEx. I HAVE had some managers who have treated me well, and I would never take that away from them. I know they are in a lose-lose situation. The rest of them though.....

vantexan

I hope you leave in style. Full vehicle, keys buried in the dirt, and all 4 tires flattened.

About the only thing I might do is leave in late November but really don't want to wait that long. I just want to go. I've already mentioned to a few people here that I'm thinking of leaving. Got a noticeably nicer tone from the manager after I did. What bugs me are the topped out people who run to management about anything juicy. It's like they're in on the exploiting.