OH :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: :censored: I LOCKED THE KEYS IN BACK!!

barnyard

KTM rider
Re: OH :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: :censored2: I LOCKED THE KEY

Don't matter. I carry an extra bulkhead key on my "personal" keyring and have another in the hazard paper pouch.

TB

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Re: OH :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: :censored2: I LOCKED THE KEY

Any experienced driver worth his salt has a spare key stashed someplace...
Its not just locking them in back that is a problem. have you ever followed methods and had the keys on your finger in the mens room while taking a leak? Splash! Yuck!:sick:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

At one time the route adjacent to me was a designated training route, and management was forever having to drive all the way out to the area to rescue some poor rookie who had locked his keys in back. They finally got so tired of doing it that they gave me a master key, that would open any bulkhead door, so that I could let the guy in instead.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I only did that once, I usually learn the first time. I was in an office complex and I borrowed a customers tire tool to pry the bulkhead door open. I did drop them in the tall grass of a customer's front yard once, it took a while to find them.

softshoe

I slipped on some ice and the keys went flying into a snow drift. Never did find the keys. The center manager had to bring me out the spare keys. He wasn't a very happy fellow, especially when it was a extra 2 hrs added on to my day.

Hedley_Lamarr

The first time I did it, I was delivering to a store at the mall, I put the keys in my jacket pocket, started unloading, got over heated, took off my jacket, and well you know the rest.
Second time, I was in the back searching for a package, my on car called me on my cell, I put the keys down to answer my phone, and you can guess the rest.
The third time I held taking a leak till I just couldn't hold it anymore, I ran in back grabbed an empty Gatoraide bottle, threw the keys on the shelf and, well you know...

B

brown observer

I once dropped my keys and it fell through a grate in the parking lot, luckily a woman had a wire hangar in her car and it took me 10 minutes to fish it out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a driver leave his keys in the back of his pkg car at 5pm and he was 1 hour from the center. He was told to call a local locksmith, who charged $50 to basically drill out the lock, which was far cheaper than all of the NDA which would have been late had he waited for a sup to bring keys out to him. Yes, he was reimbursed for the service call.

over9five

Staff member

Once when I was a young rookie cover driver, I pull up to my first stop, stick the key in the bulkhead door, turn it, SNAP!!!!

Broke the key off in the lock.............

........not only that.................

...............it was..................

................the overhead door key!

Now I couldn't get in the back at all! After momentary panic, I borrowed a couple screwdrivers from the customer and pried the bulkhead door open.

Bad Gas!

Last year I delivered some early am once in awhile.We had to rush to find a morning pkg car...anything on the lot....I got to my first stop 20 min away and boom...The key didn't fit...I had to go back to the center to get a master.I had 3 late early am and a warning letter for not checking my keys..

upsdude

I did it twice the same day and at the same location. My sup at the time had a real good sense of humor so he rode my *ss for a very long time.

I now carry a spare or two.

Hangingon

I've done that a few times, my question is has anyone ever locked themselves in the back of the car? When I first started I was in one of the old 500's that had a latch you couldn't open from the inside. Middle of summer, setting up the last section, and I hear the door sliding closed. Long story short I spent about an hour in the back trying everything before managing to break the padlock that sealed the back door. I kept having visions of my sup driving out at midnight and finding my dessicated corpse.

JustTired

free at last.......

my question is has anyone ever locked themselves in the back of the car?

Had that happen once (or maybe 10 times?!?!). Fortunately, the door had the big round hole you could reach through and pull the chain to get the door open. Of course, I'm talking "the old days".
Wood bulkhead, wood shelves,etc. Man, I don't miss those splinters!

feeder53

ADKtrails

While doing my first pre-check alone after training, I found an extra set of keys in the vehicle......I asked and they told me a lot of the same things that were posted in this thread.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??

I've only done it once. Luckily for me some of the back door latches on the package cars here don't fully latch unless you slam the door hard. Fortunatly, the bottom latch was still unlatched and after about 10 minutes of swearing and bending the crap out of the door I was able to reach in a turn the handle on the inside of the door.

have you ever followed methods and had the keys on your finger in the mens room while taking a leak? Splash! Yuck!:sick:

I always either put the keys in my pocket or leave them with my DIAD on the sink

barnyard

KTM rider

I forgot about the snowdrift.....

I had a ride along with the center manager and slipped on some ice, my arms flailed and the keys went into a fresh, fluffy snowdrift. The next 3 stops were on the same street and the center manager said, "I'll walk these off, you find the keys and pick my up at the end of the block."

"What if I don't find them?"

"Find them and pick my up."

It was about -10 and it took a bit, but I found them.

That sucked.

TB

cino321

I forgot about the snowdrift.....

I had a ride along with the center manager and slipped on some ice, my arms flailed and the keys went into a fresh, fluffy snowdrift. The next 3 stops were on the same street and the center manager said, "I'll walk these off, you find the keys and pick my up at the end of the block."

"What if I don't find them?"

"Find them and pick my up."

It was about -10 and it took a bit, but I found them.

That sucked.

TB

I would have been on comp right then and there, let the center manager finish the rest of the load.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

The first time I did it, I was delivering to a store at the mall, I put the keys in my jacket pocket, started unloading, got over heated, took off my jacket, and well you know the rest.
Second time, I was in the back searching for a package, my on car called me on my cell, I put the keys down to answer my phone, and you can guess the rest.
The third time I held taking a leak till I just couldn't hold it anymore, I ran in back grabbed an empty Gatoraide bottle, threw the keys on the shelf and, well you know...

ahhh, the empty gatoraide bottle, "mr. stinky"....... there should be a thread dedicated to urinating in the back of the ups truck.or maybe taking a :poop:, for those with "skills!"