Oil for thought

toxic88

Experts think that the world can reach oil peak by 2020. If that were to be true, what would happen to a company like UPS? What would happen to our jobs, pensions, healthcare? I know the company is coming out with some electric and natural gas vehicles but can it sustain an oil collapse? I just hope that I can retire in peace and that my company and pension are still around in 50 years. Any thoughts?

Ouch

Which experts? Their are always different speculations by different groups of people. I wouldn't believe everything you hear. There is enough oil in Anwar to supply the world for millions of years. I think by importing the majority of our oil from foreign countries is a major part of the big picture. If we can deplete their oil supply then we would have a monopoly on the oil sales here in the US. We haven't even begun to touch our supply.

jaker

trolling
Experts think that the world can reach oil peak by 2020. If that were to be true, what would happen to a company like UPS? What would happen to our jobs, pensions, healthcare? I know the company is coming out with some electric and natural gas vehicles but can it sustain an oil collapse? I just hope that I can retire in peace and that my company and pension are still around in 50 years. Any thoughts?
Welcome back this site depends on repeat posters like you

Ups and oil should not be your concern , the government and oil should be your concern

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Every so often someone comes out that we are running out of oil vs demand. Funny thing about this, much like physical gold, there comes a break even analysis when the price for the item makes it financially possible to make money on. As the price goes up, so does the opportunity to mine/drill in areas that were before considered "not worth it". Couple the fact we constantly find new ways to mine and drill, we'll have plenty of oil as long as we're alive.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
This company will figure out a way to drive our vehicles on our sweat long before we run out of oil.

In fact, our company will probably figure out how to make sweat more profitable than oil.

But don't worry, it will take them at least three or four years before they put that plan into action...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
When the price off fuel goes up, it makes economical sense to ship things vs going out and getting them yourself. Add to that, we pass the cost along so the future doesn't look to bad.

I would be more worried about the cost of healthcare and the future of the company.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Which experts? Their are always different speculations by different groups of people. I wouldn't believe everything you hear. There is enough oil in Anwar to supply the world for millions of years. I think by importing the majority of our oil from foreign countries is a major part of the big picture. If we can deplete their oil supply then we would have a monopoly on the oil sales here in the US. We haven't even begun to touch our supply.

The facts don't support your argument as the US became a net exporter of oil in 2011.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would be more worried about the cost of healthcare and the future of the company.

UPS has begun to address the healthcare issue by shifting the burden to the union. The future of the company will depend upon their continuing efforts to diversify. Package operations will soon become just another division within the company.

Packmule

Eventually the world needs to move away from fossil fuels, but it needs to be done carefully as real science an technology develop to meet the demand. Till then, drill baby drill.
Long before your pension is destroyed by oil shortages, union greed, competition, and corporate bungling will leave you on public assistance.

Ouch

The only reason we were a chief exporter of oil is because all of our oil comes from one area. The oil we import comes from several different regions. We import more per volum than we export.

UPSGUY72

The facts don't support your argument as the US became a net exporter of oil in 2011.

And gas is still over $3.00 a gallon. In Venezuela gas is $.06 a gallon.... In Saudi Arabia it's $.45 a gallon so when someone tells you gas prices are based on the cost of a barrels of oil they are full of it. It based on how much the oil companies can legal steal from people.....

And gas is still over $3.00 a gallon. In Venezuela gas is $.06 a gallon.... In Saudi Arabia it's $.45 a gallon so when someone tells you gas prices are based on the cost of a barrels of oil they are full of it. It based on how much the oil companies can legal steal from people.....
Let's all riot for government subsidies and no more gas taxes.