Ok seriously if you had to do it all over again-Would you?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I work at a lowly little center with 12 preloaders, 5 metro, and 32 drivers. Those are your choices for jobs. I don't know what a porter is, except that they work on a train. Shifters are the things you have to be careful of when you are fooling around in a car. And, car parkers are the valet's at fancy hotels. LOL!!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I think happiness at UPS, like Fracus said, is basically what you make of it. There will be bad days where even the most optimistic would get down. Overall it's a tough environment no matter what you do.

What really brings me down is hearing drivers working 50-60+ hour weeks in the summer against their will. That's pushing on dangerous, IMO.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I grew up on the Wrong Side of the Tracks . UPS has given many chances to better myself,and to earn a VERY good living. I'd do it all over again ,certainly. I dont love every day,but the good outweighs the bad by a large margin

Packmule

UPS is what happened while I was making other plans. Can't complain, but often do. At this point, it will have all been worth it if the economy and the Teamsters don't destroy our retirement.

satellitedriver

Answer is no, and my outlook would be an unconventional, philosophical one; there are not any "paths" available in life- there is only one path in life, the one you choose.
Yes, we all have a choice on how our own chosen decisions effect us.
We also have the choice of how we react to the forces we can not control
Sleeve, you have a Taoist outlook about your path.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I understand what you are saying. There are some physical and emotional responses that we cannot control, of course. The mind and body is quite complex, ain't it?

Notcool

UPS is about having a good job. Jobs are not meant to be fun. I have great insurance some people would love to have. I am so tired of hearing drivers complain. You guys have it made. I use to work 15 hours a day between ups and another job but got laid off. I'd love to go back to it. I had time with friends and family and money in my pocket. I was worn out but loved the satisfaction being able to provide for whatever I needed to. Been loading for 5 years so far. I don't see me going driving anytime soon thanks to the economy. But I continue to get raises so I remain optimistic

The Answer is HELL NO! I would rather work in a sweat shop in a 3rd world country. At least you know upfront that your gonna be screwed. The general public has no clue how bad hourly employees are treated at UPS. They believe it must be a great company to work for because of the catchy commercials that have conditioned their brains. I have heard on more than one occasion by management that "if you don't like the way that you are treated, then find another job." In other words, since we pay you 30 dollars an hour, we are now entitled to mis-treat you anyway we please. If that means cursing at you, threatening you because choose to use an option day, belittle you as a man/woman/person or holler at the top of their lungs at you for something that you had nothing to do with. Then NOT apologizing after the truth was reveled because they are management. They need to model how Google treats their employees.

The Answer is HELL NO! I would rather work in a sweat shop in a 3rd world country. At least you know upfront that your gonna be screwed. The general public has no clue how bad hourly employees are treated at UPS. They believe it must be a great company to work for because of the catchy commercials that have conditioned their brains. I have heard on more than one occasion by management that "if you don't like the way that you are treated, then find another job." In other words, since we pay you 30 dollars an hour, we are now entitled to mis-treat you anyway we please. If that means cursing at you, threatening you because choose to use an option day, belittle you as a man/woman/person or holler at the top of their lungs at you for something that you had nothing to do with. Then NOT apologizing after the truth was reveled because they are management. They need to model how Google treats their employees.

Also, when an hourly employee has some sort of infraction, it is stored in their records for future use.
When somebody from management commits an infraction against an hourly employee, there is no record of the incident and it is swept under the rug!

UPSGUY72

I have to admit I was a lurker on this forum before I became a member. I have read sooo many stories of guys that are just NOT happy with this job at all. Honestly I can see why, especially if UPS was completely different when you started. So my question is for all of you drivers that have years in this company. If you had to do it all over again would you?

I would have the only thing is that I would have done it 10 years sooner.

klolx

No, I would not.
I worked many jobs where I made a lot less, had more time for family and friends, drove junk cars coz I could have walked to work, and had nice stuff that I got coz I had time to shop for it.
Now I drive nice stuff, breaks down just as much, costs more to fix, gotta buy stuff when I see it coz I dont have time to shop, friends are mad at me coz I never call. Rarely see my grandchildren coz I dont take time off, so see them on vaca. Get home. eat. bathe, watch the news and go to bed. Recover on the weekends. The more you have the more it costs. I would go back to my housepayment of 400.00 per month, my pinto, and my hometown in a heartbeat. Problem is you cant go back. Now my kids are gone, my parents are gone, my brother and sister are gone.
And Im getting older, my highlight in life is the occasional time I get to go somewhere on the weekend, but Im always recovering.
And the big thing is walking in the door of work on Monday, and everyone is happy to see everyone, now everyone dreads the week. And is waiting for the boss to tell you, that you were the biggest loser.
Sorry, as good a company as UPS is, they treat us like crap, and I would never ever do it over, if I was offered a do over.

I felt sad after reading this :(

DS

Fenderbender
This thread is "good"

Do you receive a stipend for being the "official" thread rater? When is that job up for bids anyway?

Hmm,,,,, I'll have to talk to Cheryl about the stipend part....

Quotable quotes

Tooners post said it all but I have to say,this thread reeks of truth.
I love it...give over the stripend for saying it first.
I started at ups when I was 35 years old...and no...even though I complain,
I am willing to put up with the reports so I can keep eating.

satellitedriver

I would have the only thing is that I would have done it 10 years sooner.
Amen.
10 yrs before I started at UPS, I was working 12hrs a day, 6 days a week, with no retirement and no health insurance.

5yrs before I started at UPS, I worked 12hrs a day, on rotating shift, in a coal mine.
The bitchin' about "abuse" and "harassment" really makes me laugh.
Yes, I have my complaints about the stupidity that I have endured at UPS over the last 25yrs, but what I am reading reminds me of a kindergartner crying that he dropped his lollypop in the dirt.

anonymous4

I'll bump this in 10 years when I've been driving for a while. My outlook right now is I put in 6 years loading trailers; below freezing, oppressively hot with people throwing up and sweating like pigs. Impressive efforts each day. When compared to how I am currently compensated I would be a maroon to not cash in when full time becomes available. I hold the view that UPS owes me something better than part time money and the bull**** only fuels the drive to get what's mine.

The degenerate that jumped shipped from the forum pushes his desire to see two-tier driver wages put into play. Perfect example of a truly bad character right there. Ready to sell out the part timers who have vested 2-12+ years and approach this job as an upcoming full time career. Meanwhile he has zero hours in the hub, putting his "time" in. It is frightening that people like him have a voice in things that could shape the next 25 years of my life.