Old new hire

71Fish

Hello UPSers. I was hired as a driver off the street. Permanent, not temp, provided I make it through the 30 day period I suppose. I take my class tomorrow. I recently retired from the Air Force so I've got a little age on me, but I engage in Jiu-Jitsu and a little MMA training so fitness isn't a problem. My back and knees may ache a little though from going up and down in the truck. I've read where a few others here are prior military also. I also worked at UPS as an unloader before I joined the Air Force. Glad to be part of the UPS team.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Welcome and thank you for your service. I served for 8 years in the Air Force and was fortunate to be hired off the street as a driver while still on terminal leave.

The one piece of advice that I will give you is to memorize and incorporate in to your daily routine the depth of knowledge information, especially the lifting/lowering and the walking. Use the hand rail at all times. Lift with your legs, not your back. I am 51 w/7 years left and am beginning to feel the ache in my knees.

Will working at UPS affect your military pension?

71Fish

Thanks for the advice.

The only thing that will happen to my pension is that it will unfortunately be spent. With pay and allowance my retirment pay is about 1/3 of what my take home pay was as a MSgt/E-7. Ideally, I would take home what I did before PLUS my retirement pay. That may take a few more years.