On Area Observations (O.A.O)

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Had my first on area observation of the year, yesterday. Nothing like getting a jump on things. This is a picture of how my On-Road sup found me. It looks worse than it is, really. This deputy pulled up behind me, but I think he forgot his blue lights were still flashing. As I got out to take the picture, my On-Road comes walking up from behind the police car. He thought I had been pulled over, but quickly realized what was going on.

He told me had had been following me for quite some time and wanted to give me his assessment of his observation. He saw me back unecessarily once. Parked on the wrong side of the road in a residential neighborhood, once. Didn't use my handrail as much as he would have liked.

He also said that he expected to see me running as I made deliveries and was surprised to see me walking at a good pace. He did observe me cut through someones lawn once, also. I had absolutely no idea that I was being followed, and told him so. It doesn't really matter to me, he was doing his job and I'm not offended or feel singled out. After his assessment, he complimented me on staying fit and asked that I try to improve in the areas we discussed. I will try, and look forward to the next OAO.

Management has their job to do and we have ours. We don't need to be afraid of being followed as long as we do our jobs properly.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Had my first on area observation of the year, yesterday. Nothing like getting a jump on things. This is a picture of how my On-Road sup found me. It looks worse than it is, really. This deputy pulled up behind me, but I think he forgot his blue lights were still flashing. As I got out to take the picture, my On-Road comes walking up from behind the police car. He thought I had been pulled over, but quickly realized what was going on.

He told me had had been following me for quite some time and wanted to give me his assessment of his observation. He saw me back unecessarily once. Parked on the wrong side of the road in a residential neighborhood, once. Didn't use my handrail as much as he would have liked.

He also said that he expected to see me running as I made deliveries and was surprised to see me walking at a good pace. He did observe me cut through someones lawn once, also. I had absolutely no idea that I was being followed, and told him so. It doesn't really matter to me, he was doing his job and I'm not offended or feel singled out. After his assessment, he complimented me on staying fit and asked that I try to improve in the areas we discussed. I will try, and look forward to the next OAO.

Management has their job to do and we have ours. We don't need to be afraid of being followed as long as we do our jobs properly.

Great attitude...better than mine and I've been in management for 30 years. :happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Steve, this thread is the perfect example of the phrase "do the job as though you are being watched every second." I also applaud your attitude in that you and your on-car calmly spoke about your assessment and he complimented you and you agreeing to work on those areas that may need improvement. This should be the manner in which all hourly/mgt discussions are conducted. Steve left with a measure of respect for his on-car and I would bet that the on-car did the same with Steve. Good job!

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
36_1_5.gif
They usually wait and take my picture at the station. Steve..You're supposed to call me when they're doing observations so I start closing my bulkhead door!

Coldworld

60 months and counting

steve, why did he expect to see you running???

moreluck

golden ticket member
Steve. Kudos to you for not owning a cell phone. I don't own one either. Your girls have more important things to do than texting 14,000 messages a month. I still believe it may do something to your head.....only time will tell.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The nice part about owning a cell phone is that when your management team comes out to do some on area observations, you can call everyone else in your loop and warn them.

We also have a spy in the office who can sometimes warn us when the sups are headed out our way. We know what kind of cars they drive, and where they usually like to park. Its like something out of a bad prison movie.

99% of the time they come out and watch you during your pickup route, since they know exactly where you will be at a certain time.