On-Call Pickups - Up or Down

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I heard in the lunchroom that volume was up at the UPS stores. Customers were dropping off packages instead of paying for the air pickup. I guess this is good since the driver does not have to stop delivering or picking up to make that 1 air envelope pickup.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
I heard in the lunchroom that volume was up at the UPS stores. Customers were dropping off packages instead of paying for the air pickup. I guess this is good since the driver does not have to stop delivering or picking up to make that 1 air envelope pickup.
heh, maybe this was the plan all along.

we're smart! its costs much less to pick up from a UPS store than a random house somewhere.

barnyard

KTM rider
I have several daily pickup customers who rarely if ever send anything out so the new Green Pickup could be ideal for them.

I would use the cost savings as a selling point. I would ask them how often their driver walks in and leaves empty handed and if we would better serve their needs if we only walked in 1 or 2 times a week rather than 5 days a week for roughly 1/2 the cost.

I do also.

I asked the sales guy if I should promote it to some of these accounts. He said, "No, wait till they ask."

It seems if I wait till they ask, it could be too late.

pretzel_man

UPS introduced several changes to the On-Call Pickup service this week.

Did you notice any changes in the number of On-Call Pickups?

Any increase in drop-off volume at The UPS Store?

Any increase in the number of packages in UPS Drop Boxes?

Any feedback from customers about the changes?

I checked... Its down.

Why, I don't know. Its just the first week of the year.

P-Man

Braveheart

UPS introduced several changes to the On-Call Pickup service this week.

Did you notice any changes in the number of On-Call Pickups?

Any increase in drop-off volume at The UPS Store?

Any increase in the number of packages in UPS Drop Boxes?

Any feedback from customers about the changes?

4 customer complaints. Those out in the boonies should pay it but ones we are already driving by should not.

Fed Ex and the post office will jump on this as a way to steal business.

We are told to sheet up these as stops and so forth, even if we are already there for a delivery, to get credit for time allowance but are scared to now as not wanting to lose a customer. Problem is we will have our job threatened if we just toss them in the truck without sheeting them as our over-allowed will increase.

What ever happened to the word service in UPS.

$6 is way too high. Add 50 cents or a $1 and they would not have even mentioned it. $6 and they are like what is the point of using UPS. If I have to drive it down to a UPS Store I may as well go to the Post Office they told me. YOU KNOW, IF IT FITS IT SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear feet be shot off all over the management ranks.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
One of my customers switched back from Fed Ex Ground because they charged her for pick ups even when she didn't call and just handed them the pkg with the label that she printed. Does this mean that if we pick up pkgs from customers that have casual accounts, they'll have to pay for a pick up, even though we were there making a delivery?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
4 customer complaints. Those out in the boonies should pay it but ones we are already driving by should not.

We are told to sheet up these as stops and so forth, even if we are already there for a delivery, to get credit for time allowance but are scared to now as not wanting to lose a customer. Problem is we will have our job threatened if we just toss them in the truck without sheeting them as our over-allowed will increase.

$6 is way too high. Add 50 cents or a $1 and they would not have even mentioned it. $6 and they are like what is the point of using UPS. If I have to drive it down to a UPS Store I may as well go to the Post Office they told me. YOU KNOW, IF IT FITS IT SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my customers switched back from Fed Ex Ground because they charged her for pick ups even when she didn't call and just handed them the pkg with the label that she printed. Does this mean that if we pick up pkgs from customers that have casual accounts, they'll have to pay for a pick up, even though we were there making a delivery?

Good follow-up question on bravehearts post.

Walk ups are still suppose to be entered in DIAD as such and they will not be charged a pickup charge.

As Steve said FedEx charged for pickups already and the post office charges $14+ for a pickup request. Also, you can't just hand your USPS mail carrier a package and they take it. THE USPS requires that postage be paid and a "funded" receipt be affixed.

My personal belief is that UPS has now leveled the playing field by charging for something that the USPS and FedEx were already charging for.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
fedex express still pickups up air for free, and that is an issue

edit: if you have a daily pickup for express, and give them enough volume

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
My attitude is that if my customers call me and ask if Ill be by sometime today, and the answer is yes then I pick their package up, if no then I'll be by tomorrow or they will take it to a letter box or The UPS store. These charges are not for the daily shipper in my eye but the once in a blue moon customer. We provide a service that has a tangible value attached to it, if our customers want the service then depending on the level of inconvenience they will need to compensate us for it. Its business after all and if these customers truly understand a business then they will agree, if not then they can go and also pay a pick up fee from the USPS or FDX. Also I would also like to focus in on the fact that we now offer varying levels of pick up service that can better meet our customers needs. At least thats how it looks, its actually a brilliantly orchestrated maneuver by UPS to make each day even moor profitable at UPS.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
if you dont like profits, or understand UPS motivation behind increasing them, please go work for a non-profit like united way or habitat for humanity.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
if you dont like profits, or understand UPS motivation behind increasing them, please go work for a non-profit like united way or habitat for humanity.
I agree profit is good, very good. It was quite pleasing to see that UPS was in fact going to beat Wall Street expectations as apose to disappointing them.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
I agree profit is good, very good. It was quite pleasing to see that UPS was in fact going to beat Wall Street expectations as apose to disappointing them.

this is honestly, the first time in my career, I have been here 6 years. It made my who day, kind of made the hard work we got screwed into around peak worth it.

its the next quarter I am really worried about, I'll know at 7:00 am tomorrow how my numbers look. cross your fingers.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
this is honestly, the first time in my career, I have been here 6 years. It made my who day, kind of made the hard work we got screwed into around peak worth it.

its the next quarter I am really worried about, I'll know at 7:00 am tomorrow how my numbers look. cross your fingers.
I follow the UPS stock chatter very closely on the Internet. It amazes me how people tend to always view FDX as some how better then UPS, but it's very nice to see what we all know and what history has shown in print on the net. Ive wondered at times if our stock is somehow punished by institutions, due to us only having a small percentage of our company available for outside ownership. I'm not always happy with what UPS implements but if my 30 dollars an hour depends on me being more productive or my day being more flexible, then I'll try my best, kicking and screaming if need be. For the record Kramer on MSNBC has always been a huge fan of UPS. Funny thing is that of all his reasons that he gives for us being a solid investment, he continuously brings up his opinion that UPS whipped the teamsters into check in this last contract. It appears that the union definitely gave up on some issues but perhaps the Teamsters see that they need UPS a heck of lot more then UPS needs the Teamsters. Anyhow I'm very confident in UPS and we all have our roles to play.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
I follow the UPS stock chatter very closely on the Internet. It amazes me how people tend to always view FDX as some how better then UPS, but it's very nice to see what we all know and what history has shown in print on the net. Ive wondered at times if our stock is somehow punished by institutions, due to us only having a small percentage of our company available for outside ownership. I'm not always happy with what UPS implements but if my 30 dollars an hour depends on me being more productive or my day being more flexible, then I'll try my best, kicking and screaming if need be. For the record Kramer on MSNBC has always been a huge fan of UPS. Funny thing is that of all his reasons that he gives for us being a solid investment, he continuously brings up his opinion that UPS whipped the teamsters into check in this last contract. It appears that the union definitely gave up on some issues but perhaps the Teamsters see that they need UPS a heck of lot more then UPS needs the Teamsters. Anyhow I'm very confident in UPS and we all have our roles to play.

it's simple if you really break it down - FedEx is a marketing company and have great commercials. my friends who are not in shipping are always asking me why their commercials are so funny and ours are so dry.

most investors, especially ones that post on financial message boards have really no idea ( I am assuming thse are not major stakeholders in any company).

UPS is a high tech delivery company and we always take the high road.

cramer is very fairweather but has been pro-UPS at least the last year. I didnt see him on friday, I wonder if he had a response to our upbeat earnings information? Maybe Monday.

I got my step dad a Cramer bobble head doll, its hilarious. Yeah, skeeeee-daddy, booooya.

the booya is getting old really quickly.

scm1

fedex express still pickups up air for free, and that is an issue

edit: if you have a daily pickup for express, and give them enough volume

All UPS customers with daily pickup service (regardless of volume) will continue to receive free air on-call pickups. The big change is that UPS will now limit those free air on-call pickups to one per day, 5 days a week... also the pickups will only be free when the pickup is at the customer's normal daily pickup location.

Customers using the new Smart Pickup service are also entitled to one free air on-call pickup per day 5 days a week. And customers using the new Scheduled Days per Week service get one free air on-call pickup per day for each scheduled day.

The changes ensure that UPS continues to offer a complimentary "call-back" service to scheduled pickup customers who have the occasional urgent air package after their normal pickup... But at the same time, UPS will no longer get robbed by daily pickup accounts who schedule on-call pickups 2 or 3 times a day, or those who have their people scheduling pickups all over the country under the one parent account.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

We've gone over this a thousand times. If you get handed a prepaid package, go to special counts prepaid ,scan package, put in 1 and throw in truck. We are not allowed to use unscheduled pickup. You get an allowance for the 3 seconds it takes to do this.