On car sup/Driver Question

HULKAMANIA

If the On car has to run a route, and you are the bottom guy in the center can he choose what route he wants to run over you? Its my understanding that the driver gets to choose first but you know how they like to make rules up as they go.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If the On car has to run a route, and you are the bottom guy in the center can he choose what route he wants to run over you? Its my understanding that the driver gets to choose first but you know how they like to make rules up as they go.

He has no seniority, you do, therefore you should be allowed to choose. Unfortunately, you also have to work as directed. So...if he "bumps" you, you need to file a grievance for (a) the fact that he did bargaining unit work and (b) that the applicable route-bidding language for your center was not followed. If you arent willing to follow through and file on it, you dont have the right to complain about it.

cino321

In our local supplement, there is language that allows UPS to cite "operating needs of the company." So in the rare case that they have exhausted all means and sups are pulling loads they can force you to pull a certain route. Whether you finish the route or not, is another story.

I'm so glad I'm fortunate enough to work in a good strong local.

HULKAMANIA

407 I think you and I are in the same local. Can you please tell me what the rules are for us? I will do things at times when something is needed of me, but when Im being taken advantage of Im tired of it.

If you are in my local then there is a specific number of bid coverage drivers. Anyone who is not a bid coverage driver works as directed. If a sup goes out on a route by himself a grievence needs to be filed. If you are in my building I know for sure that a sup will not take out a route by himself unless there is some kind of extenuating circumstances that the manager will let me know about. Then it will be up to me what needs to be done to rectify the situation.

cino321

Where I'm from the sups always exhaust all means before they pull a route. Not because they want to do the right thing, but because they're lazy and don't want to deliver. If they do pull a route, they almost always take a part timer as a helper with them that day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Where I'm from the sups always exhaust all means before they pull a route. Not because they want to do the right thing, but because they're lazy and don't want to deliver. If they do pull a route, they almost always take a part timer as a helper with them that day.

They take a PTer not because they want to but because they have to. As far as "because they're lazy and don't want to deliver", their job is to supervise, not deliver, and their job will be sitting there waiting for them after the come off the road that day.

HULKAMANIA

Ok heres the thing. He does go out with a seasonal, however he likes to pick and choose what route he and the seasonal will take over me, and I just dont think thats right. Neither one of them have seniority imo. Now if he was putting him on the training route and that said bid driver was bumping me then I understand but the way this is working to me just isnt right. Am I wrong?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ok heres the thing. He does go out with a seasonal, however he likes to pick and choose what route he and the seasonal will take over me, and I just dont think thats right. Neither one of them have seniority imo. Now if he was putting him on the training route and that said bid driver was bumping me then I understand but the way this is working to me just isnt right. Am I wrong?

Technically no but why don't you cut the sup a break---he may be choosing the route he feels most comfortable with. Keep in mind that his work does not end when he parks the pkg car.

407 I think you and I are in the same local. Can you please tell me what the rules are for us? I will do things at times when something is needed of me, but when Im being taken advantage of Im tired of it.
We are definitely not in th same local you are like eight states away. Are you in the central region?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Technically no but why don't you cut the sup a break---he may be choosing the route he feels most comfortable with. Keep in mind that his work does not end when he parks the pkg car.

The sups workload would not be my concern. He chose to go into management, and if they dont want to be out on car running routes then they need to adequately staff the operation. He can take a PT employee with him to use as a helper (which he is contractually required to do anyway), whereas I would out there busting my ass on some garbage route by myself.

whiskers

The sups workload would not be my concern. He chose to go into management, and if they dont want to be out on car running routes then they need to adequately staff the operation. He can take a PT employee with him to use as a helper (which he is contractually required to do anyway), whereas I would out there busting my ass on some garbage route by myself.

Is this in the nat. master agreement, or in your local rider? I ask because I've never seen a sup take a PTer to jump for them.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

yep..they rather be in the jump seat on a ojs with that bullshi7 clip board trying to be the man...most of these guys ARE lazy pos...not all but most of the ones I know..