On Topic - New FedEX employee looking for career options.

MTB

Im a newly hired Fedex Express package handler and wondered what would be my best options and places to try to move up to within the company if possible in the future. I have a 4 year degree and also plan on going to grad school for supply chain management taking a two year program.

It will be fine

Im a newly hired Fedex Express package handler and wondered what would be my best options and places to try to move up to within the company if possible in the future. I have a 4 year degree and also plan on going to grad school for supply chain management taking a two year program.
I can’t speak for Express but you can apply for management positions at Ground right now. If you don’t mind moving around you can advance very quickly. Our growth is out of control and they can’t fill positions fast enough.

dezguy

Don't exclusively hitch your wagon to fedex. If another opportunity comes along that is better than what you have, take it.

Loyalty gets you nothing. I consider myself a gun for hire. I stay at FedEx, so long as it's the best deal I can get. If someone comes along with a better deal, see ya!

Also, may as well take advantage of tuition reimbursement, so long as you're here, if that's what you're interested in.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Your quickest path would be ops manager at a ramp or hub. Since you're going for a graduate degree in supply chain management, you'd be well served to move to Memphis where there are a much larger variety of jobs available in the company that require a degree.

You might also consider FedEx Supply Chain and FedEx Trade Networks. They would be a better fit for your grad degree.

TNT Frosty

Not sure what you guys call them, but we have what we call "leading hands".. basically, they are the zone supervisor right hand man; then there's supervisor (you dont have to go leading hand first)
But like theres a multitude of roles for supervisors etc... your best bet, maybe speak to your current supervisor as well.

bacha29

Given the dire cost cutting currently ongoing at Express advancement could be slowed quite a bit. Furthermore no matter how good a manager you think you are if you don't have enough grunts and box ox to literally move the box from Point A to Point B your expertise means nothing and given the current struggles of Ground contractors when it comes to finding people willing to go out there and work their damn for heads off for the kind of pay currently offered that struggle may someday soon spill over into the Express OPCO. Good luck pal. Just remember, there are tow type of people in this world.....people who produce work and people who produce money.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Given the dire cost cutting currently ongoing at Express advancement could be slowed quite a bit. Furthermore no matter how good a manager you think you are if you don't have enough grunts and box ox to literally move the box from Point A to Point B your expertise means nothing and given the current struggles of Ground contractors when it comes to finding people willing to go out there and work their damn for heads off for the kind of pay currently offered that struggle may someday soon spill over into the Express OPCO. Good luck pal. Just remember, there are tow type of people in this world.....people who produce work and people who produce money.
Actually, there are three kinds of people. The two you mentioned, plus, the third who live off what the other two produce.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Wow, that's insightful.

Purplepackage

I must be missing the dire cost cutting going on at express, I haven’t heard anything about that

floridays

Your quickest path would be ops manager at a ramp or hub. Since you're going for a graduate degree in supply chain management, you'd be well served to move to Memphis where there are a much larger variety of jobs available in the company that require a degree.

You might also consider FedEx Supply Chain and FedEx Trade Networks. They would be a better fit for your grad degree.
They are currently spending mega bucks to re brand FedEx Trade, come up to speed. The new moniker is FedEx Logistics.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Your best option is to leave the company and find a decent employer.