"On Topic" When you were in high school was UPS employment your career plan?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have observed lot of false pride and maybe some legitimate pride from individuals who work for UPS.

I have noticed this from individuals who post on this site.

I have noticed this from actual employees that I have worked with from the various facilities that I have been to during my decades of experience at UPS.

I have observed that very few set out with UPS as a life long career goal in their youth.

Please don't take offense but it seems that UPS is loaded with employees who actually, for some reason or another, failed to reach their dreams and aspirations and somehow ended up with a career at UPS.

For many, UPS jobs seem to be a decent default position job for those who fail to achieve what they set out for and/or individuals who are dysfunctional in other areas of their life which makes them a good fit.

I have no false pride as to why I am here.

Do you?

Comments, thoughts.

I thought it might make an interesting UPS discussion thread.
I

BUCN85

I went to college for 2 years for teaching but then made a bold move to choose working pre load and another job until it was my time to drive. It was a better career move ( financially) on my part. I tried working 2 jobs and go to class full time. But my grades were suffering so that was a big part of my decision. I took a gamble

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Over 20 years ago, A group of my friends came to the building here to sign applications. They got scared off by the tour. I didn't and signed it, got interviewed, and hired.

This is 4 years out of high school and I consider it one of the great things that happened in my life. It afforded me a great life. It was worth the hardship and 3am alarms.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
No false pride here, I worked fast food and temp jobs when I was younger. I happened to be mechanically inclined and made it into trade school myself and graduated and got my first gig at an independent shop. Started acquiring licenses, certifications, and tools on my own and moved on to the dealership for a while then landed this gig. I'd say I've done alright for a guy that was very hard headed and couldn't stay out of trouble when I was younger. Not too bad of a wrench neither ;-)

WorknLateHuh

I

1335908644644.png

Integrity

Binge Poster
How can one have "false pride". Either you have pride or not, no?
False pride can really be simply viewed as not admitting one's mistakes.

In this discussion it may appear as those who actually thinked they have succeeded in life by ending up with their job as opposed to being grateful for ending up with a decent job in spite of their failures and dysfunction.

BrownTexas

Graduated high school with enough college credits to be a sophomore in college. Went to school to be a nurse, got bored. Trained in a fire academy, slight bumps in my early life kept me from getting a job. Feel into ups as a TCD and drove everyday until I was offered a FT gig. Here til I die now. Not 100% happy with my choices, but I have accepted them and now I'm out to live life to the fullest.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Graduated high school with enough college credits to be a sophomore in college. Went to school to be a nurse, got bored. Trained in a fire academy, slight bumps in my early life kept me from getting a job. Feel into ups as a TCD and drove everyday until I was offered a FT gig. Here til I die now. Not 100% happy with my choices, but I have accepted them and now I'm out to live life to the fullest.
Excellent contribution!

Thank You!

DOK

I have observed lot of false pride and maybe some legitimate pride from individuals who work for UPS.

I have noticed this from individuals who post on this site.

I have noticed this from actual employees that I have worked with from the various facilities that I have been to during my decades of experience at UPS.

I have observed that very few set out with UPS as a life long career goal in their youth.

Please don't take offense but it seems that UPS is loaded with employees who actually, for some reason or another, failed to reach their dreams and aspirations and somehow ended up with a career at UPS.

For many, UPS jobs seem to be a decent default position job for those who fail to achieve what they set out for and/or individuals who are dysfunctional in other areas of their life which makes them a good fit.

I have no false pride as to why I am here.

Do you?

Comments, thoughts.

I

It's called life bruh, if you think you have a plan of your life's path you're wrong, your plan is predetermined.

Integrity

Binge Poster
It's called life bruh, if you think you have a plan of your life's path you're wrong, your plan is predetermined.
I don't know where you get this faulty philosophy but it doesn't take much observation to see that this is so untrue.

Humans clearly play a part in how their life goes by the choices they make.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Im just here part tine for benefits. I wish I started right out of highschool, but the 18 year old me would have never in a million years gotten my ass out of bed at 3am 5 days a week.

jaker

trolling
Most of us are here because of a couple of reasons

You started your career with another place but life happens ( like going out business or major lay offs ) so you push on and get here

Your job that you went to school for turned out not to be good so you push on and for some was here for the get go

The thing you miss the most on is the drive that we all have too make this change for our family's instead of just doing nothing or working dead in jobs

over9five

Staff member
What a grumpy-butt thread topic!

This most certainly IS a job to be proud of, especially if you're dumb and uneducated like myself. You probably make a lot more money than your friends.

How about college educated people? Why are they here slinging cardboard with a college degree? I'd be pretty disappointed if as a parent, I had paid for that education only to see my child squander it slinging cardboard. This is a crap job if you could be making equal (probably more) money sitting at a desk somewhere with your framed degree on the wall.