Oncall for how long?

instantK

I must call in everyday to see if im driving or not at 7:30... how long do I have to wait around to see if i'm needed and do not not have to answer if they call me in?

instantK

i'm thinking 9:00 from what I heard.... but not sure if there was something in the contract about this... they called me in at 12:00 already

barnyard

KTM rider
Way back when, if my boss asked me to call in, we set a time and I called in. If they did not need me, I went ice fishing, miles and miles away from any phones.

stink219

I must call in everyday to see if im driving or not at 7:30... how long do I have to wait around to see if i'm needed and do not not have to answer if they call me in?
Not sure what that means. What do you do? As I driver, we are never "on call". You show up, you get paid. If your not needed, they should ask you an hour in advance. It should be converse of the call out method. But, you should be reporting in everyday.

gostillerz

I call one hour before start time if they didn't already text me. Sometimes they say to call back in 15 min. Fine, no problem. However, once in a while they say I'm not needed, then call me at 11:00 or 2:00. I don't answer, and they freak. I got into a big argument with the center manager about it. I'm not on call all day unless I'm getting paid for it. I couldn't find anything in my supplement about it, but that's how we do it here. I would think you're only required to call once. If they ask you to call back or they call you, that's up to you.

One piece of advice. Don't let them make you think your on call all day. You're not. 15 minutes becomes 30, then becomes an hour, etc.

lateagain

Easy solution to this problem. If you are a driver, and they call you at 11:00, I answer, and tell them I would be happy to come in, but I just had a few beers with breakfast. Works every time!

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
If you are a full time driver who has made seniority. The notion of being on call on a daily basis is false. In my current center, drivers are given the day based on seniority. Of course there are back room deals, cover drivers who hide in the bldg and drivers who can't get the day based on lack of area knowledge. In closing we has drivers are not on-call.

QKRSTKR

Our bottom 10% is on call by contract. Call hour b4 center schedule start time.,if they don't know by then c ya. I rarely called when I was a young driver, just showed up. Usually could get senior driver to go home.