Once again, the biscuit saves the day!

T

Turdferguson

Not sure how I can get bit by a dog in which I refuse to deliver with said animal loose? If biscuits work for you that's great, I'm not here to be the dogs friend, I'm here to deliver a package.
More to the job than just following methods. My last route I had I saw more dogs than people through out the day. It was in my best interest to be on good terms with as many of those dogs as possible.

hyena

Non delivery other- dog loose or dr bag that sumbitch at the gate lol
The scenario I was talking about happened in my first 30 days. I was busting butt to qualify. Yes now that I have experience that mistake would never happen again. Dude these were like wolves, like they were gonna eat me lmao

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
More to the job than just following methods. My last route I had I saw more dogs than people through out the day. It was in my best interest to be on good terms with as many of those dogs as possible.
I had the same problem on my new route, had dogs rushing the truck while it was moving, dogs following me back to truck across a street, jumping in the truck. I put an end to all of that, of course I also refuse to deliver to any house where the dog is loose and I can't be 100% positive the dog isn't a danger to it or myself. I now have as close to zero chance of being hurt, as well as carrying liability of dog hurting itself due to actions of a precious drivers relationship with the animals.

hyena

The scenario I was talking about happened in my first 30 days. I was busting butt to qualify. Yes now that I have experience that mistake would never happen again. Dude these were like wolves, like they were gonna eat me lmao
And I didn't see them they came outta nowhere after I opened the gate and gate shut. Only choice I had was get the hell out of dodge lol

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
And I didn't see them they came outta nowhere after I opened the gate and gate shut. Only choice I had was get the hell out of dodge lol
In terms of gates, it's there for a reason, to keep something in or someone out, I can take a hint, DR other Gate. If that's not an option tag and circle my choice, let them decide where they want it going forward knowing you won't enter.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not sure how I can get bit by a dog in which I refuse to deliver with said animal loose? If biscuits work for you that's great, I'm not here to be the dogs friend, I'm here to deliver a package.
I agree with this. I don't go out of my way to engage dogs and will certainly never give a dog a treat. That is not my pet and it's none of my business to be feeding someone else's animal.

Like Jumpman said, I am more than happy to DR something at a mailbox or etc., but I do not trust any dog. However, the little nippy ones I'm not too worried about, even if they are aggressive.

hyena

In terms of gates, it's there for a reason, to keep something in or someone out, I can take a hint, DR other Gate. If that's not an option tag and circle my choice, let them decide where they want it going forward knowing you won't enter.
Right I understand that. Now I will not open a gate again but if I didn't deliver to every house that had a loose dog, I'd bring half my route back. There is only a couple dogs on the route I don't trust and I've let the owners know . We have a agreed to spot the pkgs go if those dogs are out

Dr.Brownz

I'm in full paranoid and stealth mode. Lol.

Screw that stealth :censored2:, thats gets you in places you shouldn't be. I go up loud as I can so that way the dog knows I'm there before I get on the porch and he runs around from the back and corners me. Had a driver here who had to go out on medical retirement because of a dog bite incident with two dogs. Same scenario I described, apparently they damaged some ligaments in his legs. :censored2: that

rod

Retired 22 years
I agree with this. I don't go out of my way to engage dogs and will certainly never give a dog a treat. That is not my pet and it's none of my business to be feeding someone else's animal.

Like Jumpman said, I am more than happy to DR something at a mailbox or etc., but I do not trust any dog. However, the little nippy ones I'm not too worried about, even if they are aggressive.

I hope you aren't putting stuff in a mailbox. That's a big no no as far as the post office goes.

SCV good to go sir.

Passed by a gate front lawn with this beefy dog that ran up to the gate to yap at me. DR the package at the neighbor's house run past the first house with the dog again. As he's running towards me again I throw a milk bone right above his head. Easily could have caught that :censored2: with his mouth and continued running at me without losing stride. Milk bone sailed over his head and the dog didn't take his attention off me for a second.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So what do you do? Tell the customer to put away there dog? Then you get a complaint you were rude because you wouldn't deliver the package with the dog there
No, you follow the methods and honk your horn when you stop. If the dog isn't one you feel safe entering the yard with, you honk a couple more times. If the owner fails to appear to come get the dog, you tag the mailbox "loose dog" on the info notice. If the owner is there they come to the truck and I explain I don't enter yards that have loose dogs in them. I have yet to have a customer who takes offense to the fact I won't enter their property with an unrestrained dog nor received a customer complaint that I left an info notice explaining why I didn't enter their property.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Screw that stealth :censored2:, thats gets you in places you shouldn't be. I go up loud as I can so that way the dog knows I'm there before I get on the porch and he runs around from the back and corners me. Had a driver here who had to go out on medical retirement because of a dog bite incident with two dogs. Same scenario I described, apparently they damaged some ligaments in his legs. :censored2: that
This is one reason to honk your horn, even if you don't do it all the time. at least where you suspect there might be a dog hiding.

SCV good to go sir.

No, you follow the methods and honk your horn when you stop. If the dog isn't one you feel safe entering the yard with, you honk a couple more times. If the owner fails to appear to come get the dog, you tag the mailbox "loose dog" on the info notice. If the owner is there they come to the truck and I explain I don't enter yards that have loose dogs in them. I have yet to have a customer who takes offense to the fact I won't enter their property with an unrestrained dog nor received a customer complaint that I left an info notice explaining why I didn't enter their property.

:censored2: I had a customer take offense to that the first time it happened.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our center manager strongly discourages the use of dog biscuits.
Your center manager sits behind a desk all day.

If he ever came out on car with me, he would be filling his pockets up with my biscuits and handing them out before we had 10 stops off.

Last edited: