One or Two weeks notice?

warwick

Looking for some advice on giving notice.

Quick back story: I was hired as seasonal a.m. preloader and driver helper for 2013. Started mid November and worked everyday until January 1 2014. I was hired as a permanent a.m. preloader on January 4 2014 and have worked everyday since loading package trucks.

I have an opportunity to do something I've always wanted to do and which will allow me to move to a new state and new job.

Should I give one or two weeks notice?

Should I give my supervisor and HR a notice letter? or just a face to face conversation with my supervisor?

I'm thinking that a face to face with my supervisor after my shift on Friday that the following week will be my last should be good enough but I don't want to burn any bridges.

What say you all?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you have the option, give them two weeks with the understanding you'd leave in one if they didn't need you. Speak with your sup and the sort manager, handing them your date two weeks from that day. Leave in class, it will prepare you when you leave your next job.

Last edited:

warwick

Thanks for the advice, I have until this Wednesday for the two week notice. I think I'll tell my supervisor and give him a letter of notice. Who knows I may work at UPS again sometime in the future. I enjoyed the type of work I was doing and was pretty good at it as well.

barnyard

KTM rider
Hand them the letter on your next shift. Include in the letter that you enjoyed the work and would like to keep your options open to come back in the future.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
While it is tempting to go out in a blaze of glory, do not burn any bridges. Leave with class and dignity because you might need a reference someday.