"One punch a week to maintain insurance"?

I work on the preload shift, and on Wednesday of last week, I left work a few mins early to get a root canal done. Long story short, I didn't get the root canals that day, but I did get temporary crowns, which got infected and hurt like hell. I missed work on Thursday and Friday of last week. I had a tooth pulled on Monday (this week), and I have a root canal today. Haven't been to work since this past Wednesday.

I've been told that I need one punch a week to maintain my insurance. Since I worked last Wednesday and not today, did I lose my insurance? Or since I punched in last week, would I be okay to punch in tomorrow or Friday?

Do I have to work or can I just punch in, check with my sup, and go home? I'm not eligible for FMLA at this time and am honestly in too much pain to be loading trucks.

Indecisi0n

Use a sick/personal day that will "reset" you for another 7 days. The week where you do not work 7 days (or have any punches) you are responsible for all medical expenses for that week.

Use a sick/personal day that will "reset" you for another 7 days. The week where you do not work 7 days (or have any punches) you are responsible for all medical expenses for that week.

I don't have any sick time accumulated and only have 20 hours of vacation time. Am I even allowed to use that?

Johney

Not true. In a worse case scenario you can make the COBRA payment which would be likely a lot cheaper than a serious medical bill.

Johney

I'm almost positive that while UPS does contribute to our benefits weekly there is a buffer zone so to speak as they have to inform you that you have lost coverage and give you the chance to make COBRA payments. This takes a couple of weeks.