One Solution To The Gay Marriage Issue

bbsam

Staff member
I would agree accept for one thing: I still don't see it as an issue at all. It's simply ridiculously manufactured conflict for political fuel.

wkmac

I would agree accept for one thing: I still don't see it as an issue at all. It's simply ridiculously manufactured conflict for political fuel.

And I 100% agree with that as well! So many of these "issues" in the big scope are just that and were never intended to have any resolution because then their value as pure diversion would be lost. The point of the article IMO is if they really wanted a soluton, it's pretty damn easy to get.

curiousbrain

I am just speculating here ...

but, politics aside, having same-sex couples fill out a passport that makes an assumption about the genders involved might be a problem under the Equal Protections Clause - which is somewhat subjective, anyhow; or any other kind of union that is presently unforeseeable.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There needs to be some way for domestic partners to obtain the same Social Security and tax benefits that are available to a married couple. If that were the case then the issue of gay marriage would be a moot point. There are many churches that will marry gay couples, but that couple is still being financially discriminated against by the federal government in terms of tax and social security issues.

There needs to be some way for domestic partners to obtain the same Social Security and tax benefits that are available to a married couple. If that were the case then the issue of gay marriage would be a moot point. There are many churches that will marry gay couples, but that couple is still being financially discriminated against by the federal government in terms of tax and social security issues.
That is true and yes there should be a way for SSUs to have the same benefits as married couples. That is way someone came up with the "civil unions", a contract (isn't that what a marriage is) of uniting a couple of the same gender. The feds could then change the tax codes and other laws to apply to civil unions the same as a conventional marriage. BUT NOOOOO, the gay movement is not willing to settle for a compromise. I'd say that if it were not for religions there would be no marriage...period, so, it is pretty easy to understand why this is such an issue for a large % of the citizens. The majority of religions are apposed to same sex marriage.
I forgot to mention, along with the benefits of marriage and/or civil union it should be noted that responsibilities should be shared as well.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
I don't think anyone is suggesting that gay couples live on the other side of the tracks.

No they are not. What I am suggesting is that implementing such a policy in the HR offices and governments accross the nation is even more insidious and harder to track than putting them on "the other side of the tracks."

No they are not. What I am suggesting is that implementing such a policy in the HR offices and governments accross the nation is even more insidious and harder to track than putting them on "the other side of the tracks."
It may well be a hard policy to install, what alternatives do you suggest?

bbsam

Staff member
Pretty much what the article suggested. I'd leave marriage to religious institutions and all unions recognized by the state.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
https://web.archive.org/web/20080603142232/http://www.twoorthree.net/2008/05/gay-marriage-hi.html

Gay marriage = higher divorce rates

Joe Carter at EO has a well documented article on how to call the bluff of most gay-marriage advocates - tell them that if they are really interested in the institution of marriage, they should push for stricter divorce laws - which will never happen, since fidelity, while a common human virtue poorly practiced, is practiced even less in gay relationships (at least, male ones). Joe provided a slew of stats, and this interesting observation from the National Review:
Suppose same-sex marriages were introduced by legislation that also made divorce much harder to obtain. How many same-sex couples would then be rushing to join San Francisco's wedding carnival? My suspicion is that lesbians would heavily outnumber gay men and that there would be a great many grooms left waiting at the municipal altar. It is not lifelong commitment that the couples are seeking (except in moments of romantic fantasy), but the revolving door of modern marriage with no-fault divorce.
Joe went on to comment:
Gay men--like men in general--tend to be more promiscuous than women. Yet unlike married heterosexual men, gay men don't assume that taking wedding vows means accepting sexual exclusivity.
One of the more interesting observations of the gay culture is this one:
Monogamy is [considered] a "straight" ideal that may or may not be useful in gay relationship.
The gay idea of marriage has less to do with fidelity, and more to do with social legitimization. And *because* it has less to do with fidelity, sanctioning gay marriage results in the degradation of marriage, because gay marriage won't emphasize the most important parts of marriage - fidelity and a healthy, consistent environment for childhood development.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The gay idea of marriage has less to do with fidelity, and more to do with social legitimization. And *because* it has less to do with fidelity, sanctioning gay marriage results in the degradation of marriage, because gay marriage won't emphasize the most important parts of marriage - fidelity and a healthy, consistent environment for childhood development.

What a complete and total load of crap.

Gay couples want the same thing that straight couples want...the rights and benefits of marriage. Those who claim otherwise are simply homophobic bigots.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Canada's first gay marriage divorce was filed by one of the first gay couples to be married in Ontario. The couple was married a week after same-sex marriage was legalized in Ontario. They had been together for five years but separated five days after their wedding day.
There are no reliable gay divorce rates worldwide, as not all counties keep track of which divorce filings are from heterosexual and homosexual couples. In Massachusetts, when couples applied for divorce two months after gay marriage was legalized, opponents of gay marriage said the divorces, occurring so soon after the weddings, confirm that gay couples are not suited to marriage. One group stated that the gay men were too 'promiscuous' to make a marriage work.
Gay couples divorce for many reasons. Gay couples experience strong cultural pressures. Gay couples are also more likely to be two-income families with no children, which in the straight population have a higher risk of divorce. One of the less-thought-of reasons for gay marriage is to ensure that a couple in the process of break-up can access divorce courts.
As gay marriage is a relatively recent phenomenon, the gay divorce rate will not stabilize for a long time. Gay couples can only now access the streamlined legal processes that marriage and divorce provides. A study showed that the gay divorce rate for Dutch lesbian couples was higher than gay male couples, although the reason wasn't clear. Data from Nordic countries, where gay civil unions have been legal for more than a decade, also showed a slightly higher divorce rate for lesbians.

http://loveandpride.com/GayDivorce