Only 99 shopping days left 'til Xmas...

Indecisi0n

I use to hate the dark nights until I got these:

master:ATN128.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Delivering in the dark sucks. Peak during shortest days of the year double sucks.
I always tell people this.

If peak were in July and it was 70 degrees we would get so much more work done but then we would just cut the workforce so wouldn't matter.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In 2013 UPS said it would hire 50,000 additional workers to handle the increase in packages. In 2014 UPS plans to hire 95,000 additional workers for X mas season. http://www.ups.com/pressroom/us/press_releases/press_release/Press Releases/Archive/2014/Q3/ci.UPS Begins Hiring for 2014 Holiday Season.syndication
I believe that is over a 30% increase over our non peak workforce. Here's the problem and we have all mentioned it. Many facilities simply can not handle the volume. No matter hiw many workers. Only so much can come down a belt at once.

Do I blame ups for this? Only partly. When times were great and we were the only game in town we should of aggressively expanded buildings. At my building they looked into expanding in the 80's but decided it was too expensive. Now the town has doubled in size since then and just to bring the building up to OSHA code would cost double what the original expansion estimate.

I also blame amazon and other retailers for putting such pressure on ups price wise. If they expect ups to expand for a few months of volume they have to be willing to pay more the rest of the year.