Open heart surgery

Upser2006

Hey everyone. Long story short. I’m 35 and 15 years in to my ups career and I just had open heart surgery to repair a leaky aortic valve. My question is has anyone, or does anyone know someone who has had this procedure done and returned back to work with no issue? I’m confident I’ll heal and do everything in my power to get back to where I was before. Just some doubts seeping in. Thank you all.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Hey everyone. Long story short. I’m 35 and 15 years in to my ups career and I just had open heart surgery to repair a leaky aortic valve. My question is has anyone, or does anyone know someone who has had this procedure done and returned back to work with no issue? I’m confident I’ll heal and do everything in my power to get back to where I was before. Just some doubts seeping in. Thank you all.
Good luck

trickpony1

You might call your Local Union Hall and ask the BA that represents UPS workers.

Advocacy helping.

quad decade guy

We had a much older guy, have multiple bypass(open-heart) surgery. He successfully returned to work. In his mid to late 50's.

Maybe 6 months total recovery. He was never really the same(dynamically). But was fully certified.....at least from all appearances.....he had a bid feeder run(afterwards).

I would think....a better resource than a BA would be YOUR DOCTOR! If he thinks your surgery was successful and you are cleared for "normal" activities that can include long hours, lifting to 150 lbs, stress and all that goes with UPS....

I think as far as CDL goes.....there are standards and thresholds to be met. This from our guy in related conversations. That there was a mandatory period of time for evaluation, recertification etc. I don't think you can just show back up for work.

In other words, open-heart is a pretty big deal. Heart attacks, strokes are a big deal. Cancer too. Our guy failed a stress test which led to his surgery. He DID Not have a heart attack. BTW, our guy fancied himself "in shape" and "worked out a lot".

I will say, most of us were surprised of his surgery. Usually hear of that kind of thing after retirement....when all that hard living, smoking and drinking catches up with you. Congenital defects(or the like) are a different matter....

You didn't say what your job was/is.....some of the above applies to pkg/feeder. If you are a pt whatever....some of that may or may not apply. Either way, you are subject to UPS doctors and your doctor.

Recovery will take time and personal discipline.......(sorry for the inside joke). I know our guy was pretty shaky for awhile when first back. My Dad had several open heart surgeries...he was never the same. Most folks I know(several).....it's a pretty life-changing event. You are relatively young. Lastly, I would imagine the question is: Can hard work(like we do) make it fail again?

Good luck.

Just listen to your doctor He's the only one that can tell you what you can or will be able to be

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Not open heart but I did have 3 stents put in when I was 39
UPS fought me the whole way coming back to work
Finally had a conference call with cardiologist, business agent and labor manager long story short I was back to work the next day after being off about 6 months
Good luck to you

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Finally had a conference call with cardiologist, business agent and labor manager long story short I was back to work the next day after being off about 6 months
Good luck to you
I had two stents put in about 7 years ago. Think I was off about 7 days and then right back to the package car.

rod

Retired 22 years
When my son passed away his heart was transplanted into a 58 year old South Dakota wheat farmer. He told us his doctor told him to slow down a little so he went from farming over 6,000 acres down to what he called a 600 acre hobby farm. :-) Thats coming up on 20 years ago and hes still active.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

If you were able to do the job with the leaky valve, I'm sure, once you're properly healed, you will probably be able to do even better, or it will be easier.

quad decade guy

Good luck to you
What was UPS's argument/point of view?

Serious question: If you were off for 6 months! Did you ask for backpay?

Given you were reinstated in one day after a conference call.

Serious question: Was the BA and labor manager medically qualified to make this decision? Was there a UPS medical person there? It is possible the BA and labor manager might have had a high school education(possible).

How long were you DOT recertified before being reinstated?

6 months is a LONG time.

Thanks.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What was UPS's argument/point of view?

Serious question: If you were off for 6 months! Did you ask for backpay?

Given you were reinstated in one day after a conference call.

Serious question: Was the BA and labor manager medically qualified to make this decision? Was there a UPS medical person there? It is possible the BA and labor manager might have had a high school education(possible).

How long were you DOT recertified before being reinstated?

6 months is a LONG time.

Thanks.
Ups argument was that I was a liability
The conference call went like this cardio doc says I’am releasing him fully
BA says if he’s not back to work tomorrow we will grieve for everyday he’s not back to work
Labor manager says ok
No back pay I was on disability
This was all after taking and passing a stress test

quad decade guy

Ups argument was that I was a liability
The conference call went like this cardio doc says I’am releasing him fully
BA says if he’s not back to work tomorrow we will grieve for everyday he’s not back to work
Labor manager says ok
No back pay I was on disability
This was all after taking and passing a stress test
Ok. Thanks.

So, it was all fine(to you)until that conf. call?

Your doc hadn't released you fully until that day?

In fact you weren't ready for 6 months.....till that very day.

There are protocols in place? Both sides?

They weren't followed by UPS? Blocked on purpose? In the end, could UPS have refused?

Did this event hasten/influence your retirement?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Ok. Thanks.

So, it was all fine(to you)until that conf. call?

Your doc hadn't released you fully until that day?

In fact you weren't ready for 6 months.....till that very day.

There are protocols in place? Both sides?

They weren't followed by UPS? Blocked on purpose? In the end, could UPS have refused?

Did this event hasten/influence your retirement?
Everything was fine until ups saw it was going to cost them money

I went thru a vigorous heart rehab Dr wouldn’t release me until he thought I was ready

This was in 1995 so no it didn’t affect my retirement

quad decade guy

Everything was fine until ups saw it was going to cost them money

I went thru a vigorous heart rehab Dr wouldn’t release me until he thought I was ready

This was in 1995 so no it didn’t affect my retirement
With all sincerity, I appreciate the civil dialogue.

It is interesting....

Thanks.

UnionStrong

1D0DD90A-2672-441D-8BCC-D3E197899D78.gif

UnionStrong

I hate seeing you upset, but you treat everyone like they’re beneath you. As you said, I don’t know you, therefore I can’t hate you. Hate is a strong word. I hate some people, mostly left wing idiots, but I have no animosity towards you. I am educated, with a college degree, worked various jobs, family. I don’t act like I have all the answers and I have read many of your posts, even agreed with many. But you are unapproachable, always bristling and name calling at the slightest hint of disagreement. Not everyone is out to bully you or get you. But you don’t seem to handle divergent points of view very well. You come across as petulant and immature. You project this attitude on others deflecting it from yourself. Maybe in person your different. IDK.
You don’t really want to converse, you want to pontificate. I don’t think you believe anyone on here is able converse with you. And there in lies the real problem.
Until we chat again…

462DADD3-B0AC-41F5-917D-A23BBB45266F.gif