Open Season for Health Plans

MassWineGuy

The time period for FedEx people to choose health plans is open. I'm a new hire and won't be eligible for three months, but I still need to decide. My wife's plan covers us through Blue Cross and costs much more per month than the FedEx/CIGNA plans. But I've read a lot of terrible things about CIGNA and will probably just opt out. I'd rather not argue over every claim.

Is there anyone here who loves CIGNA?

CaliforniaPaul

The time period for FedEx people to choose health plans is open. I'm a new hire and won't be eligible for three months, but I still need to decide. My wife's plan covers us through Blue Cross and costs much more per month than the FedEx/CIGNA plans. But I've read a lot of terrible things about CIGNA and will probably just opt out. I'd rather not argue over every claim.

Is there anyone here who loves CIGNA?
I had Cigna for years prior to Medicare and never had a problem.

MassWineGuy

To the ever cheerful and upbeat UPstate: Some things are worth paying for, such as good service and less b.s.

Thank you, Paul. Was it pretty recently that you were covered by CIGNA? Maybe the company's gone downhill since then.

It would be very helpful to hear from current FedEx people who are covered by CIGNA.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
To the ever cheerful and upbeat UPstate: Some things are worth paying for, such as good service and less b.s.

Thank you, Paul. Was it pretty recently that you were covered by CIGNA? Maybe the company's gone downhill since then.

It would be very helpful to hear from current FedEx people who are covered by CIGNA.

I was covered by Cigna for many years, until a few years ago when FedEx changed insurance in my area to BC/BS. I never had a problem except once when my dermatologist prescribed Retin-A. Then the doctor just had to write a letter stating that it was medically necessary and not cosmetic. However, it was an HMO then. Don't know how it is now.

MAKAVELI

Since FedEx is self insured, I don't think it's the administrator so much as the benefits set by FedEx that you should worry about. Every year benefits go down and premiums go up. If you have a family, I would go with the low option and keep your wife's plan and have double coverage.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Since FedEx is self insured, I don't think it's the administrator so much as the benefits set by FedEx that you should worry about. Every year benefits go down and premiums go up. If you have a family, I would go with the low option and keep your wife's plan and have double coverage.

So, in addition to paying more for his wife's plan, you want him to pay even more and add minimal coverage through FedEx?

Drop the wife's plan and put the $$$ in to a Roth.

MassWineGuy

Another variable, esp. regarding NYstate's suggestion (a good one) is that I have had trouble keeping jobs. So I don't really want to give up my wife's plan yet. The lesser of the two plans, plus vision and dental would cost me $15 a month as an individual.

MAKAVELI

So, in addition to paying more for his wife's plan, you want him to pay even more and add minimal coverage through FedEx?

Drop the wife's plan and put the $$$ in to a Roth.
What part of double coverage didn't you understand? IF you have a family with young children, the extra$$$ is well worth the benefit of double coverage.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What part of double coverage didn't you understand? IF you have a family with young children, the extra$$$ is well worth the benefit of double coverage.

But if the FedEx plan offers comparable coverage at a substantial savings why not cancel the wife's policy and put the savings in to a Roth? Why have double coverage if it is not necessary?

MAKAVELI

But if the FedEx plan offers comparable coverage at a substantial savings why not cancel the wife's policy and put the savings in to a Roth? Why have double coverage if it is not necessary?
The substantial savings is because he would only be covering himself on the low option. That $15 a month is not for him and his wife. Like I said, IF he has a family, paying for the second ins plan is well worth it when you consider our high deductibles and out of pocket maximum. If it's just him and the wife, then $15 a month is not bad to have double coverage for himself.

MAKAVELI

As far as choosing one or the other, I would take a hard look at our coverage before you drop your wife's plan. Any serious injury or illness and you will be paying out the ass.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
In some states, like CA, you can only have ins. with one company. You can have "supplemental".

MAKAVELI

In some states, like CA, you can only have ins. with one company. You can have "supplemental".
It's essentially the same difference. A supplemental, ie. spouses health plan, would pick up the remaining costs your employer's plan doesn't cover. In other words you would have 100% coverage.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Upstate is right.
You cannot have health ins. with FedX and be on your spouse's health ins. It's a CA law. Trust me, been down this road.

MAKAVELI

Upstate is right.
You cannot have health ins. with FedX and be on your spouse's health ins. It's a CA law. Trust me, been down this road.
Is this new, because I know several people who have double coverage with a spouse's plan?

MAKAVELI

Upstate is right.
I think you have been given some bad information. I can't find any ca law prohibiting dual coverage through a spouse's plan. I know if both of you work for FedEx that you can't cover each other. Is that what you are talking about?