Opinions from other hub stewards and hourlys

Buru

2 questions..
1st
There is a pt supervisor (we will call him bob) who is currently under investigation for harrassment. Bob got into it with an hourly, the hourly walked away from situation, bob chased after hourly, got into his face and made threats against hourly with many witnesses. Yet, he is still in the building, just on a different area. He is a problem, i have witnessed his temper first hand.. What is the best way to get bob out of my hub?
2nd
I have an hourly who wants to grieve on his sup. guess who, it's Bob.. He refused to give the hourly a weakside pickoff during belt wide flow, and told the hourly "you don't need a weakside. I will give you one when I say you need one." This pickoff has 10 years in the game.. What articles does that violate?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
2 questions..
1st
There is a pt supervisor (we will call him bob) who is currently under investigation for harrassment. Bob got into it with an hourly, the hourly walked away from situation, bob chased after hourly, got into his face and made threats against hourly with many witnesses. Yet, he is still in the building, just on a different area. He is a problem, i have witnessed his temper first hand.. What is the best way to get bob out of my hub?
2nd
I have an hourly who wants to grieve on his sup. guess who, it's Bob.. He refused to give the hourly a weakside pickoff during belt wide flow, and told the hourly "you don't need a weakside. I will give you one when I say you need one." This pickoff has 10 years in the game.. What articles does that violate?

Let me supplement what Inthegame posted. He was spot-on with #2 and #3, but let me put a little spice on #1:

"Under investigation for harassment" by whom? The union or the company? If it's the company, he's just going to get a slap on the :censored2:ing back and a finger wag with a couple of winks from his manager telling him to make sure he doesn't intimidate another worker with witnesses present.

Member needs to grieve the incident and file a report with loss prevention stating they felt personally threatened. The Ethical Complaint hotline might help, but just realize it gets routed back to local HR with a report generated at a somewhat higher level; the same gutless weasels that won't act on your complaints locally will be handling the complaint generated by the hotline.

It takes multiple people filing multiple Article 37's to deal with a PT supervisor that gets too big for his britches. If he's discriminating against members in a protected class under the Civil Rights Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (minorities, women, folks with physical handicaps) then you need to get the EEOC involved.

We're dealing with one right now in our building who has a serious problem with women and people of color. Hopefully there won't be anything left of him but a smoking oversized UPS polo and a :censored2:ing crater by April.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Also -- if I was picking off a strong side HVD with beltwide flow and the PT supervisor refused to provide me with a weakside pickoff, we'd have 300 :censored2:ing belt stops during the sort.

Let him scream and piss and bitch and moan with the primary stacked out to the ceiling and slap him with a grievance when he crosses the line.

Buru

Let me supplement what Inthegame posted. He was spot-on with #2 and #3, but let me put a little spice on #1:

"Under investigation for harassment" by whom? The union or the company? If it's the company, he's just going to get a slap on the :censored2:ing back and a finger wag with a couple of winks from his manager telling him to make sure he doesn't intimidate another worker with witnesses present.

Member needs to grieve the incident and file a report with loss prevention stating they felt personally threatened. The Ethical Complaint hotline might help, but just realize it gets routed back to local HR with a report generated at a somewhat higher level; the same gutless weasels that won't act on your complaints locally will be handling the complaint generated by the hotline.

It takes multiple people filing multiple Article 37's to deal with a PT supervisor that gets too big for his britches. If he's discriminating against members in a protected class under the Civil Rights Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (minorities, women, folks with physical handicaps) then you need to get the EEOC involved.

We're dealing with one right now in our building who has a serious problem with women and people of color. Hopefully there won't be anything left of him but a smoking oversized UPS polo and a :censored2:ing crater by April.

This is what i was looking for... Thank you for the advice. I am a pt steward out of local 767, and This forum has been a big help in aiding me when I am at a loss on how to proceed with a situation. A 17 year steward asked me how I even know about stuff she has never heard of. I told her i use the brown cafe. I will make sure bob is in the same smeltering polo pile as the pt sup in your hub. Finally, the pickoff i spoke of is a vet.. He had between 300 and 400 beltstops that night. Safety by choice, not by chance.. Work smart not hard..

This is what i was looking for... Thank you for the advice. I am a pt steward out of local 767, and This forum has been a big help in aiding me when I am at a loss on how to proceed with a situation. A 17 year steward asked me how I even know about stuff she has never heard of. I told her i use the brown cafe. I will make sure bob is in the same smeltering polo pile as the pt sup in your hub. Finally, the pickoff i spoke of is a vet.. He had between 300 and 400 beltstops that night. Safety by choice, not by chance.. Work smart not hard..
@PiedmontSteward is a great recourse for a guy like you. You can't go wrong in having him as a mentor.

10 point

Place a call to the UPS 800 number that deals with complaints. Make sure to leave full details.
Screw that. Waste of time. Been there. Took yrs to get results.

Call the cops and be done with it.
That is the only thing that brings immediate results.

Last edited:

El Correcto

god is dead
This is what i was looking for... Thank you for the advice. I am a pt steward out of local 767
it's good to see someone from my local is getting educated for :censored2:s sake. Half our building stewards probably don't even file their taxes. The older lady you mentioned and the driver stewards are only ones I'll bring into my situations. Our part timers get :censored2:ted on big time.

BrownBrokeDown

Also -- if I was picking off a strong side HVD with beltwide flow and the PT supervisor refused to provide me with a weakside pickoff, we'd have 300 :censored2:ing belt stops during the sort.

Let him scream and piss and bitch and moan with the primary stacked out to the ceiling and slap him with a grievance when he crosses the line.
This is a winner. Earlier in, when i was picking off i followed the example of those that came before me and dealt with it. Looking back i wound up screwing myself, violated countless safety rules in the process of keeping the belt on, and the guy that did the position before me for 10 years also feels the same way. We made it way harder on ourselves than we had too when refused a reasonable request for help.

2 questions..
staff
2nd
He should go to human resources and loss prevention to file reports along with his witnesses lead by the steward now!!- get the division manager involved as well.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
He should go to human resources and loss prevention to file reports along with his witnesses lead by the steward now!!- get the division manager involved as well.

HR only exists to prevent the company from being sued.

LP will only do more than take a statement if there was a threat of physical violence or actual physical violence during the incident.

Both are valuable tools to keep in mind, but the grievance procedure gives the union an actual voice in an otherwise less-than-transparent process.

10 point

Wouldn't it be great if an undercover reporter got hired on and would record footage of actions like these?

I'd trade a grievance for that exposure any day. Especially if your BA sucks.

There's nothing like a media field day to get the situation rectified.

HR only exists to prevent the company from being sued.

LP will only do more than take a statement if there was a threat of physical violence or actual physical violence during the incident.

Both are valuable tools to keep in mind, but the grievance procedure gives the union an actual voice in an otherwise less-than-transparent process.
I understand your position from a insider point of view but for outsiders who may become involved at some point in the future you have to set the table and show that you have made everyone aware of the situation. Remember at others places human resources is the place to handle this situation.